[SOLVED] Want to confirm if this display is done or can I use it?

Jan 27, 2022
So I'm a college student and I needed an external monitor to use with my laptop but can't afford one rn. Luckily, I got my friend's permission to use his old laptop's display as that laptop was broken and was not usable anymore.

So I carefully removed the display from his laptop successfully but accidentally I slipped any fell elbow first onto the screen and this is what caused this.

Is this screen still usable and what exactly are those black spots? And most importantly is there any way I can fix it?

PXL-20220127-170230380-MP.jpg

PXL-20220127-170234489-MP.jpg

Solution
A few things. First, someone's old laptop monitor may not actually work with your laptop. These are not universal parts.

As for the black areas, that's a cracked LCD. It is not repairable. It might still work in places where it's not damaged, but it might not (if it was even going to ever work in the first place, which again, it may not have).

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
A few things. First, someone's old laptop monitor may not actually work with your laptop. These are not universal parts.

As for the black areas, that's a cracked LCD. It is not repairable. It might still work in places where it's not damaged, but it might not (if it was even going to ever work in the first place, which again, it may not have).

Reactions: the-halfbloodprince
Solution
Jan 27, 2022

I was about to buy a controller board for this particular model and then it should have worked. This was what I was referring to:
View: https://youtu.be/CfirQC99xPc

Though ig now since this has spread out so far I'll need to drop the plan. And yeah, as you can see there are portions where it's a bit less dense, actually earlier I was looking this up and saw about dead pixels and this looked similar so I started looking more into it. One video said that sometimes rubbing that portion helps transport those dead pixels out to the corner of the screen or so, and when I tried doing that, it actually started spreading out and so I got hopeful but as the spots are quite big, I couldn't take it completely out. I saw a few videos where they try fixing it by playing a video with RGB colours flashing and flickering and was wondering if that can fix, if yes then i would have considered buying the controller board else not.

TRENDING THREADS