[SOLVED] Was my recent SSD purchase actually worth it?

elijah_

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2012
Hi, I've been thinking of adding some higher capacity SSD for a bit but wasn't actually gonna pull the trigger before getting a new graphics card as well. Now I hadn't really read up on what to get yet but saw what looked like a decent deal last week and got the Samsung 980 Pro NVMe M.2 for 140€ and purchased it after finding overwhelmingly positive opinions. Only later I checked prices for other M.2s and found I could get other highly rated ones (Crucial P2, WD Blue SN550) for significantly less money. I read that the 980 Pro is significantly faster than those but I was wondering, do I really notice these differences in speed as an average user or is it only worth it for particular tasks?

Solution
We are well into the realm of diminishing benefit.

For instance, going down by 1/2 each time.
The same "50%" benefit...

10 sec
5 sec
2.5 sec
1.25 sec
0.6 sec
0.3 sec

The first 3, you can see a major user facing difference.
The last couple? (ex. PCIe 3.0 vs 4.0)....you'll never notice.

Later, when there is price parity per GB, no reason NOT to go with the newer. But we're not there yet.

elijah_

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2012
Thanks, wasn't really sure what the factor for the differences was but looks like I'll be cancelling the order then. Main use is gaming and I've been trying to learn about music production but my motherboard is a MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max which only supports Gen 3 anyways I think? So I gather I won't get much use out of having this SSD over a PCIe 3 one

USAFRet

Titan
We are well into the realm of diminishing benefit.

For instance, going down by 1/2 each time.
The same "50%" benefit...

10 sec
5 sec
2.5 sec
1.25 sec
0.6 sec
0.3 sec

The first 3, you can see a major user facing difference.
The last couple? (ex. PCIe 3.0 vs 4.0)....you'll never notice.

Later, when there is price parity per GB, no reason NOT to go with the newer. But we're not there yet.

Solution