[SOLVED] Water and a CPU

George134

Prominent
Apr 22, 2020
My stupid saw a TikTok with someone cleaning there cpu with water to take there thermal paste off. So when I got a new cpu I tried that on my old one. I used running water on my cpu with a paper towel. Well now I feel like selling it. I don’t really wanna test because it would take me hours to see if it works so I’m wondering if the water did did any damage to a ryzen cpu?

Solution
My stupid saw a TikTok with someone cleaning there cpu with water to take there thermal paste off. So when I got a new cpu I tried that on my old one. I used running water on my cpu with a paper towel. Well now I feel like selling it. I don’t really wanna test because it would take me hours to see if it works so I’m wondering if the water did did any damage to a ryzen cpu?
Yah, kinda a dumb idea but nowhere near end of things for it. Clean tap water itself won't damage it but DO NOT try running it until it's thoroughly dried out. Speed that up by putting it in an oven set to 106C/200F for a couple hours. Some processors use a low temp solder between heat spreader and die so do not touch it once time is done, just turn the heat...
What a stupid idea !!! The seal between CPU and cover is not air or water tight. there are small gaps at each side, if any water got in it may be days or month to evaporate. Besides, paste is silicone based and not water solvable.

Yah, kinda a dumb idea but nowhere near end of things for it. Clean tap water itself won't damage it but DO NOT try running it until it's thoroughly dried out. Speed that up by putting it in an oven set to 106C/200F for a couple hours. Some processors use a low temp solder between heat spreader and die so do not touch it once time is done, just turn the heat off and let it cool down 30-40 min's before removing it. Put it on a piece of baker's parchment on a cookie sheet. That should dry it right out and be ready to go again.

Reactions: Quanticriver
Solution
Yeah, I've done this on a PC that was in a flood, but you have to let the CPU dry and even then, I had a heatgun to warm it up after leaving it for 48 hours, worked fine afterwards, but with thermal paste, all you need is a little bit of rubbing alcohol and a paper towel, I mean every one if different. Half the time if the paste isn't al hard and dried up, I just wipe it off real good, don't even need alcohol and I've never had problems doing it that way.

If you never tested it yet, leave it sit for 48 hours and heat it up with hair dryer if you have one, don't need it crazy hot, but hot enough to try and evaporate the moisture, I'd even leave it sit in front of a fan and rotate it different positions every couple of hours and it should be alright.