[SOLVED] Weird CPU Temperature

Nov 28, 2021
Hello.

I have a very strange problem with my Lenovo Y700-15 Laptop. The temperature of the CPU looks like this (at idle):

Core 1 - 38c

Core 2 - 59c

Core 3 - 68c

Core 4 - 55c

The fans are also spinning very fast despite the computer being cool (even the air that comes out is cool).

I had the laptop cleaned and the thermal paste replaced - didn't solve the issue.

Anyone has any ideas? I'm desperate to fix it.

Solution
Fans spin according to a single core reading. Your hottest core is reading 68°, so fans will spin accordingly, regardless of actual or perceived temps.

Can't go by task manager usage, a single reading isn't going to cover all cores usage. Also be careful with both temps and individual core use. Those numbers you see are already 3(ish) seconds old. It depends entirely on the read time of the software vs what the pc thinks you can actually physically see. If you tried reading live numbers, read every 256ms, you'd see digital 88 blur. So it's very possible that what you actually see is periodic spikes by the cores, and usually indicative of malware/trojan activity reporting browser/typing habits and locations.

I'd run a comprehensive...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Fans spin according to a single core reading. Your hottest core is reading 68°, so fans will spin accordingly, regardless of actual or perceived temps.

Can't go by task manager usage, a single reading isn't going to cover all cores usage. Also be careful with both temps and individual core use. Those numbers you see are already 3(ish) seconds old. It depends entirely on the read time of the software vs what the pc thinks you can actually physically see. If you tried reading live numbers, read every 256ms, you'd see digital 88 blur. So it's very possible that what you actually see is periodic spikes by the cores, and usually indicative of malware/trojan activity reporting browser/typing habits and locations.

I'd run a comprehensive anti-virus And malware scan, they are different so require both run. Also run ccleaner to clean out any orphans and/or hidden temp files/locations as they will stay resident whether active or not, and are often triggered to activity by registry entries.

Last edited:
Solution
same thing was happening to the temperature before,
There could be a problem with the heatsink not being flat and not making even contact with the CPU cores. You need to pull the heatsink and check it with a straight edge from side to side and from corner to corner. Checkto see if the thermal paste is even. Most repair shops do not have the time to do jobs like this properly.

Nov 28, 2021

I'd run a comprehensive anti-virus And malware scan, they are different so require both run. Also run ccleaner to clean out any orphans and/or hidden temp files/locations as they will stay resident whether active or not, and are often triggered to activity by registry entries.
Okay, thanks.

Nov 28, 2021

I changed the readings to be every 100 miliseconds, and it reads 67-72c without going down, even when the pc has just been turned on and cool

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Then either the cooler is warped or installed incorrectly. Any cpu I've seen in the last 40 odd years will generally have no more than 10°C difference between hottest and coldest core, certainly not 30°+. Unless correct paste is improperly applied or the base is warped or the heataink is incorrectly installed.

LGA chips use an IHS, so the thinner and less viscous pastes like Noctua are perfect. BGA chipsets don't have an IHS, they have the same glassine surface as a gpu, direct die cooling, so require a much thicker, more viscous paste such as kryonaut or MX-4.

Reactions: uWebb429