Question Weird issue of Graphical Glitches/Artifacts happening in some games, and some not

zanekq

Prominent
May 22, 2018
Hey guys. So I have this weird issue that in some games (mostly the newest, demanding ones) various graphical glitches are happening like texture stretching and flickering. Sometimes other stuff happens although rarely. It's very random, sometimes doesn't happen for a long time, and sometimes happens very frequently. and It mostly happens upon loading stuff. Like a new area or an NPC. Here's some examples:

Fallout 4 Glitch - View: https://imgur.com/5Wy5gNU

Fallout 4 Glitch - View: https://imgur.com/FKAixiZ

Dishonored 2 Glitch - View: https://imgur.com/qRkjYFj

Dishonored 2 Glitch - View: https://imgur.com/9KFiX2y

Dishonored 2 Glitch - View: https://imgur.com/GRAto29

Dishonored 2 Glitch - View: https://imgur.com/TvByYkZ

What's weird is that it happens in those games, but for example The Witcher 3 or Dying Light I never once had them. Even though both are 8th gen games and are very demanding. Also UNIGINE benchmarks like the classic Heaven one run flawlessly. GPU utilization at 100%, temps are normal and no glitch in sight. And I've run the benchmarks many times, over long periods. Yet for example in Dishonored 2 or Fallout 4 I load the game and glitches can already be there.
In addition to Dishonored 2 and Fallout 4 I've also seen them in GTAV, Dark Souls 3, Monster Hunter World and some other games that I can't remember right now. I've been struggling with this problem for quite a while and I'm hoping there's a fix that doesn't require buying a new GPU or other component that may be broken. I did a complete format on a second HDD, so all clean install of new drivers and stuff and it didn't helped. Also, in Fallout 4 for example I tested it on 30FPS, 720p and mostly lowest settings. The GPU utilization wasn't even at 30% and yet the glitches still showed up. That's really weird and makes me think that maybe it's not a GPU. I hope maybe someone's had this problem before and there is a fix as it's impossible for me to afford any new hardware in a GPU or CPU price range. And even if I did, I'm not sure as of now what component's fault it is because of some of the examples I've mentioned.

Specs:
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K
RAM: 8.00GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. F2A88XM-DS2
Graphics Card: 2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R7 370
Storage: 931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-08WN4A0

Every component in the PC right now isn't more than 2 years old.

zanekq

Prominent
May 22, 2018
Guys I don't want to sound ungrateful as I appreciate you at least taking the time to reply and try to help, but please read what is actually said. I said in the original post that GPU has zero overheating issues, plus works flawlessly in benchmarks at 100% GPU utilization, and some demanding games like Witcher 3 run fine as well. Meantime Fallout 4 for example at almost lowest possible settings has only 30% GPU utilization and the glitches are happening. I'm super green when it comes to hardware but isn't that weird, and couldn't it be caused by something other than a GPU? drivers were reinstalled as I tested games on a second fully formatted HDD with all drivers reinstalled and stuff.

zanekq

Prominent
May 22, 2018
Only GPU, vRAM and GPU drivers can cause that.
I see. Then I was just unlucky second time in the row and somehow a new GPU broke itself. Previous one was 100% my fault as it started overheating because I didn't clean it, and its cooling design was pretty poor too. But this one was cleaned regularly and the glitches suddenly started happen maybe a year or so since it was bought, if not earlier. But now it's been longer than that so I wouldn't even be able to use warranty. Hahaha I hate my life. If I had the money I'd be almost afraid buy a third new GPU now.

You don't mention the make/model of your PSU, and I think it should be a consideration as well. If it is inadequate or failing, I believe it could cause artifacts due to unstable powering. Do you have another good PSU you can try, and rule that out?

zanekq

Prominent
May 22, 2018
You don't mention the make/model of your PSU, and I think it should be a consideration as well. If it is inadequate or failing, I believe it could cause artifacts due to unstable powering. Do you have another good PSU you can try, and rule that out?
Sorry, I actually forgot to mention that I bought a new PSU back when I had some money, as I suspected it might be the cause as well, since it was very old. But it didn't helped.

zanekq

Prominent
May 22, 2018
As was stated before, sometimes vram corruption can cause similar artifacts. What would happen if you were to temporarily underclock your vram in a program like MSI afterburner?
I already have MSI Afterburner and gonna try it right now! I'll report the results after testing. It can take a while because as I said those glitches can be quite random and sometimes won't happen for a longer time, annoyingly giving me hope so many times that they got fixed.

Any specific settings would you guys recommend by the way? Default Memory Clock is 1400. I already play everything at 720p/30FPS at lowest so I won't mind any performance hits because I won't see them, just as long as they don't hit below 30 at those low-end settings.

Edit: I lowered it to 1080, which is pretty a lot I'd think, and right on first load in Dishonored 2 glitches had showed up. Well, it was worth a try, thanks for trying to help. It has been happening for so long and it just makes me sad these days so I really appreciate any help and tips like that, that could potentially fix the issue.

Last edited:

zanekq

Prominent
May 22, 2018
Holy cow, guys! I was sitting around all depressed, thinking, and I remembered something. I didn't buy a new PSU just because of those glitches. At the time, besides those artifacts, my PC was either completely shutting down, or instantly resetting at random (can't quite remember which, as it's been almost 2 years). Could this cause the GPU to break or get damaged? I know that HDD could for example as it has moving parts but I'm not sure about something like a GPU. I'm gonna google it, but if you guys could confirm this as well it would be such a huge help. Since I couldn't test my GPU or other parts, I couldn't be 100% sure what is the cause. Even if SkyNetRising said it could only be GPU related, the amount of money I could potentially waste if it wasn't the case would be too devastating for me. But now I could at least know almost 100% that it's the GPU and somehow slowly gather up enough money to start enjoying games again after almost over two years!

zanekq

Prominent
May 22, 2018
you gpu running hot see if you could raise is fan speed and try to lower your fps settings .
I think we can rule that one out. I mentioned earlier At only 30% GPU utilization in Fallout 4 at lowest settings and 30FPS cap the glitches had showed up, and right upon loading the game. So it couldn't even get this hot. And glitches are happening only upon loading stuff. Like new level, or area, or an NPC. The artifacts never pop up in real time, just on loading stuff and only a complete reload of the area or restart of the game can make them disappear or make new ones appear.

zanekq

Prominent
May 22, 2018
to be sure that your gpu is good try to use another one for test and if you have same issue that wil go for a board check .
I'm actually trying to find someone right now who could borrow me a GPU to test it. I hope I'll be successful because that would be the best as I could be 100% sure if it's the GPU. But thank you for the tip!