[SOLVED] Weird issue with GPU and PCIE slot.

Badmaw

Prominent
Aug 15, 2019
Hello, i have an oem pc with a gt 610 gpu, i mostly use it for working and sometimes low end gaming, i have a persisting issue with it for a long time, it starts with "Cable not connected" message appearing and going randomly and it keeps appearing more frequently until one day the pc after it boots "Cable not connected" again appears but forever, the only fix i know is to replug the gpu it i know its an easy fix but it can really disrupt my flow of work, and i face this issue after every few weeks, almost like its supposed to happen after a certain time.
So is this a problem with my pcie slot or my gpu, since i am getting a new (used) gpu tomorrow and i dont want this issue to happen with it too since theres no warranty. So any help will be appreciated.

Solution
Once you install that other video card you are getting you will find out where the issue is. If it keeps up, could be the motherboard, could be the power supply also. Without testing with known good parts, things are just a guess.
Do you have another slot available to try it in?
If so, I would.
If not....I think it may be a connection issue with the slot......and over time the connection gets worse for whatever reason.
I think there's a chance it won't happen with a different card....as even though the geometry of the contact strips should be the same from card to card....in the real world there are variations.
I would also power down and spray the slot with some contact cleaner that is safe for motherboards and plastics.....and let it dry thoroughly.

Badmaw

Prominent
Aug 15, 2019
I have two slots actaully. The card was plugged in the first one initially but then that problem occured for the first time, so i changed the slot and it happened again last night

As for cleaning i cleaned my gpu and pcie a week or two ago but a cotton swab cant really go in the slot. And i dont know if a spray like that exists.