[SOLVED] Weird issue with trying to connect ethernet cable from modem to laptop/ PC

Verthingale

Reputable
Dec 24, 2016
Hi guys, recently i have this weird problem with connecting my laptop/ PC to my modem with ethernet cable. I have good wifi from my router which is connected to the modem but whenever i try to connect an ethernet cable to my PC either directly from the modem or from my router it always says "unidentified network" even though my wifi is clearly working. I have never encountered this problem before and my ethernet has worked fine for years before this and the problem only showed up about a week ago. Sometimes though i can get a normal connection through with my ethernet cable but it only connects for about a few seconds to a few minutes and it goes back to unidentified network. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys, thank you in advance.

PS: I already tried to contact my ISP and they said it might be a problem with my settings or something because from their point of view nothing is wrong with the internet. I have also tested the ethernet cables and they are functioning properly.

Solution
Hi guys, recently i have this weird problem with connecting my laptop/ PC to my modem with ethernet cable. I have good wifi from my router which is connected to the modem but whenever i try to connect an ethernet cable to my PC either directly from the modem or from my router it always says "unidentified network" even though my wifi is clearly working. I have never encountered this problem before and my ethernet has worked fine for years before this and the problem only showed up about a week ago. Sometimes though i can get a normal connection through with my ethernet cable but it only connects for about a few seconds to a few minutes and it goes back to unidentified network. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys, thank you in...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi guys, recently i have this weird problem with connecting my laptop/ PC to my modem with ethernet cable. I have good wifi from my router which is connected to the modem but whenever i try to connect an ethernet cable to my PC either directly from the modem or from my router it always says "unidentified network" even though my wifi is clearly working. I have never encountered this problem before and my ethernet has worked fine for years before this and the problem only showed up about a week ago. Sometimes though i can get a normal connection through with my ethernet cable but it only connects for about a few seconds to a few minutes and it goes back to unidentified network. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys, thank you in advance.

PS: I already tried to contact my ISP and they said it might be a problem with my settings or something because from their point of view nothing is wrong with the internet. I have also tested the ethernet cables and they are functioning properly.
First, moving the connection of a modem between a PC and a router can confuse the ISP. They memorize the hardware address of the connected device and can get confused when you swap them.
Next time you attempt to use the ethernet, if you get the problem, open a cmd.exe window and run ipconfig.exe /all -- Post the results.
Is this a direct connection to the router or is there in-wall cabling involved?
Since this is a laptop, have you tried sitting next to the router and connecting with a new short commercial ethernet cable?

Solution

Verthingale

Reputable
Dec 24, 2016
Hi kanewolf, thank you for your quick response, first of all i did not know about the ISP memorizing hardware addresses but if it helps answer your question i did very recently change to a brand new TP-Link router just after the problems occured, i actually do have and i do need to use in-wall cables to connect ethernet between rooms across PC's but i have also tried sitting down by both my modem and my router with a direct connection by short ethernet cable and still the problem persisted with the laptop showing "unidentified network". I'm sorry at this time i cannot test the ipconfig through cmd that you mentioned but i will try it first thing in the morning tomorrow and post the results as soon as i can, thank you.

TRENDING THREADS