Question Weird monitor issue, keeps blinking on/off.

Feb 5, 2020
So I've had this issue with my monitor for a while. Whenever I boot up my computer and start the monitor it seems to have trouble actually starting and just keeps blinking. When it works properly it's supposed to give me a blue green with philips written over it for ~5 seconds when I start the monitor and then just do its thing. What my monitor has been doing is give me this start up screen with the logo for 0.1 sec, just a quick flash, and then turn itself off again only to do the exact same thing again a few seconds later.

When I first encountered this problem I just randomly pulled out the hdmi and power cables and inserted them again until it decided to work. After a while of doing this it stopped working so I discovered that when pulling out the hdmi cable, the start up screen would stay for a couple of seconds before turning itself off again. This meant that I had enough time to press the buttons on the monitor to open up the settings and as long as I kept pressing these buttons to move around in the settings menu, the screen would actually stay on.

I tried everything I could think of in the settings, resetting the monitor etc. Nothing seemed to work though until I figured out that if I just kept the screen alive for ~30 seconds by pressing the buttons and then plug the hdmi cable back in. When I did this, one of two things would happen, either it would just continue doing its 0.1 sec blinks forever or it would keep doing the longer 2 sec blinks as when the hdmi wasn't connected.

When it kept doing these longer blinks after plugging the cable back in, after a few minutes of blinking it would always start working. It seemed as if I had a ~25% chance of making it "blink correctly" whenever I did this procedure so usually after doing it a few times the monitor would always start working. I did this for about 2 months and it wasn't too much of a hassle.

Today something changed though, the screen no longer gives me the longer blinks that allow me to pull up the setting menu when I remove the hdmi cable, it just keeps doing quick blinks whatever I do and I can't even make it stop without getting rid of the power as the screen can't be turned off unless it stays on for more than a fraction of a second.

I know this is a very weird issue and most likely won't get fixed, but has anyone experienced something similar or have an idea what could be causing this?

Mod Edit for Readability

Last edited by a moderator:

dwaynef

Reputable
Jul 21, 2018
So I've had this issue with my monitor for a while. Whenever I boot up my computer and start the monitor it seems to have trouble actually starting and just keeps blinking. When it works properly it's supposed to give me a blue green with philips written over it for ~5 seconds when I start the monitor and then just do its thing. What my monitor has been doing is give me this start up screen with the logo for 0.1 sec, just a quick flash, and then turn itself off again only to do the exact same thing again a few seconds later.

When I first encountered this problem I just randomly pulled out the hdmi and power cables and inserted them again until it decided to work. After a while of doing this it stopped working so I discovered that when pulling out the hdmi cable, the start up screen would stay for a couple of seconds before turning itself off again. This meant that I had enough time to press the buttons on the monitor to open up the settings and as long as I kept pressing these buttons to move around in the settings menu, the screen would actually stay on.

I tried everything I could think of in the settings, resetting the monitor etc. Nothing seemed to work though until I figured out that if I just kept the screen alive for ~30 seconds by pressing the buttons and then plug the hdmi cable back in. When I did this, one of two things would happen, either it would just continue doing its 0.1 sec blinks forever or it would keep doing the longer 2 sec blinks as when the hdmi wasn't connected.

When it kept doing these longer blinks after plugging the cable back in, after a few minutes of blinking it would always start working. It seemed as if I had a ~25% chance of making it "blink correctly" whenever I did this procedure so usually after doing it a few times the monitor would always start working. I did this for about 2 months and it wasn't too much of a hassle.

Today something changed though, the screen no longer gives me the longer blinks that allow me to pull up the setting menu when I remove the hdmi cable, it just keeps doing quick blinks whatever I do and I can't even make it stop without getting rid of the power as the screen can't be turned off unless it stays on for more than a fraction of a second.

I know this is a very weird issue and most likely won't get fixed, but has anyone experienced something similar or have an idea what could be causing this?

Mod Edit for Readability

I am experiencing the exact same thing but without the previous 2 sec. thing. It even happens on initial boot up in the BIOS... It happen to me about 2 months ago and I did manage to get it running, and left it on till last night fearing lighting storm..well it back and now doing exactly as you describe.. I am debating if it may be the PSU ? Anybody ?