Question Weird UPS issue

Don't know if this is the right place for this thread, there was no UPS section so I went with this category.

So, I have a Microtek 650VA TP Pro 650+ UPS, and my system specs are on my profile. The problem is that, when the power is cut, the UPS works perfectly fine, right up until I try to shut down or put to sleep the system. As soon as I click shut down, the UPS immediately cuts power, even before the Shutting Down screen appears. Same happens with putting to sleep as well. This happens almost regardless of whether there is battery left in the UPS or not - there are three beep modes on the UPS when it is using the battery, the first is slow beep, where each beep has 10 seconds gap, and the UPS has enough battery, then fast beep, which comes every second or maybe two seconds, when the UPS battery is low, and finally a continuous beep for error or overload. I've tried shutting down the system in the slow and fast beep states, and either of them gives this issue. I could not find any thread with a similar problem, perhaps because I can't phrase my Google search correctly.

Any help would be appreciated, the UPS is not that old and I would not want to take it apart or buy a new one if it can be avoided. Thanks!

P.S: there is also another issue which I don't know is relevant to this or not, but sometimes, even after turning the UPS off from its button(on the UPS itself), the connected components still get power from the wall directly, which shouldn't happen - turning off the UPS should cut both battery and direct power, but sometimes(not always) it lets the direct power run through to the PC even after switching it off, perhaps it's a faulty switch on the UPS(though the lights on it do turn off).

Ralston18

Titan
Does the following link match your UPS?

https://www.microtekdirect.com/product/microtek-ups-tuff-power-pro-650va/

What components are being served by the UPS and how are they all connected?

It should be:

Wall outlet ----->UPS----->computer, components...

Are you using any power strips, plug adapters, or surge protectors that are connected either into the UPS or the other plug in the wall outlet?

Did you receive a User Guide/Manual or some installation instructions? (I could not find a link...)

Double check the User Guide/Manual to ensure that you have not connected anything improperly.

Does the following link match your UPS?

https://www.microtekdirect.com/product/microtek-ups-tuff-power-pro-650va/

What components are being served by the UPS and how are they all connected?

It should be:

Wall outlet ----->UPS----->computer, components...

Are you using any power strips, plug adapters, or surge protectors that are connected either into the UPS or the other plug in the wall outlet?

Did you receive a User Guide/Manual or some installation instructions? (I could not find a link...)

Double check the User Guide/Manual to ensure that you have not connected anything improperly.
Actually this problem developed recently, it worked fine for some time. The UPS power the PC and the monitor, both connected directly to the UPS from the plugs on the back, and the link is indeed the UPS I have. The connections are indeed how you have shown. No such devices are being used, and I don't think I have the manual anymore, if there was one at all.

Ralston18

Titan
Have you watched the three LED's on the front panel?

And you are using the normal Windows shutdown process versus physically turning off any switches - at least not until Windows has completed its normal shutdown activities - correct?

Pull the UPS from service and determine if the computer will start up and shut down normally.

Also, FYI:

https://www.upssystems.co.uk/knowledge-base/ups-bypasses

You can google for additional information using "UPS Static Bypass" or similar words and phrasing.

Some of what I read seems applicable to your situation.

Overall, I recommend contacting Microtek: Learn what they have to say and offer.

Maybe a User Guide/Manual.....

Have you watched the three LED's on the front panel?

And you are using the normal Windows shutdown process versus physically turning off any switches - at least not until Windows has completed its normal shutdown activities - correct?

Pull the UPS from service and determine if the computer will start up and shut down normally.

Also, FYI:

https://www.upssystems.co.uk/knowledge-base/ups-bypasses

You can google for additional information using "UPS Static Bypass" or similar words and phrasing.

Some of what I read seems applicable to your situation.

Overall, I recommend contacting Microtek: Learn what they have to say and offer.

Maybe a User Guide/Manual.....
The LED's reflect the current state of power pretty much normally, except for one thing that suddenly came to me right now - when the UPS starts getting low on battery, and the beeps become fast, the red light for error/overload also lights up, and I don't think that should happen. I'm not sure whether this is normal or not,but the red LED shouldn't light up on low battery, so maybe that is something?

I use the shut down button on the start menu, no physical buttons. But the UPS shuts off as if it ran out of battery, even if it has battery left, before Windows can shut down.

The PC shuts down, restarts and goes to sleep normally when we have power, I can't check by removing the UPS because there's only one wall outlet and I don't have any extensions available. But, again, when we have electricity, everything works perfectly normal, this only happens when the UPS is running on battery.

So, I just did a quick experiment to make sure there actually is a problem or not. To simulate a power cut, I turned off the mains power to the UPS, and running it on battery, I immediately shut down the PC using the start menu button. The PC was very close to finishing the shut down process, but the UPS shut off before it could do so. The shutting down screen did appear, and the monitor went blank after that, but then the UPS immediately turned off, which shouldn't happen - the UPS should not turn off until it either runs out of battery or I press the switch on the UPS. And so, I then proceeded to restart the UPS on battery itself - pressed the switch once to switch it off, then again to turn it on, and it started up normally and was still on battery mode, since I hadn't turned on the mains switch. And then I turned on the PC, on battery itself, and the system completely booted up on the UPS battery itself, meaning that there was enough battery in the UPS to stay on till the shut down completed, but something told it to immediately shut down. The UPS had enough battery so I didn't reach the short beeps stage, so I can't tell if the red light turns on at low battery or not yet, but I can definitely confirm now that there is an issue with the UPS.

Ralston18

Titan
Interesting.

Next step, I think, should be to contact Microtek.

Share the above information, ask for the User Guide/Manual, and otherwise see what they have to say.

Be ready to provide more information: model number, serial number etc..

Document your communications.