geek123

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2012
pbeckley.com
Hello all and Hope everyone is staying safe

OK so here is the issue.
I am using 5 Dragon Touch OD10 WiFi Security Cameras. All are outdoor.
I have Comcast Gigabit My Modem is a Netgear Nighthawk CM2050v and Router is a RBR50V2 with a satellite. During the day I maintain average speeds of 300Mbps and evening and night over 600Mbps {Unless I use Xfinity speed tester then I reaching speeds of 999Mbps 24 X 7}
SO from 1700 or 1800 hrs to 0600 all the Cameras are viewable on all the android tablets and phone. Between 0600 and 1700hrs I will have to keep tapping them as they will read unable to reach device. I reset one and another one or two will drop in a few minutes. They may stay all on for 30 minutes, but soon the cameras will drop till i reset them. Speed check at all cameras are well over 150Mbps and the different tablets, and Google hubs are over 300Mbps which are in the house. Weather isn't a factor, as they will do it rain, cloudy, sunny, or full moon.

The cameras are just not making to the app for viewing. The cameras are recording and sending video to the cloud.

In case this may be a question, I did do a test inside the house with 2 different Cameras.

Thank you in advance for any help with this matter

Last edited:
Solution
You may not always be able to see your neighbors wifi. In addition more stuff than wifi runs on these channels. Baby monitors and cordless phones and many other things that are not "Wifi" but still interfere. Also be very careful with these scanner tools. For example the channel numbers in 2.4g only represent 5mhz but it is very common for wifi to use 40mhz. So it will use 8 out of the 11 you see. On 5ghz the channels are 20mhz but 802.11ac uses 80mhz blocks and the newer 802.11ax(wiif6) uses 160mhz. This can mean that 1 neighbor is using all the bandwidth even though many times the scanner only shows the main channel that the router is sending out the broadcasts on.

Note it could be a camera problem. I know mine...
Wifi cameras because they send so much data almost continuously are very susceptible to interference. It is likely just your neighbors using their wifi devices but someone could easily jamb your cameras if they were going to do bad stuff.

Unless you have some kind of solar powered camera you had to go to the trouble of getting power to the camera. It tends to be no harder to use PoE cameras and you have a ethernet cable that can not be interfered with. Even if you can't run ethernet all the way you could use a powerline network box and run the signals over the electrical wires.

You also want to check to be sure it is just the cameras being affected. Run speedtest on your pc and see if the upload rates are a lot lower during this time. Sometimes ISP have overloaded network segments. There is a LOT more upload going on that previously with people running video conference from their house when it the past that was mostly used by someone live streaming his games or something.

geek123

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2012
pbeckley.com
I'm working on the Channel issue. This morning there was only one neighbor WiFi and no drop but later in noon it happen and I wasn't around (My Wife works at home.) and didn't get back till they stayed on.

I'm interested in the powerline lan connections, as the extension cords i bought for the cameras had 3 female ends and I'm only using the one.

Thanks I let you all know.

You may not always be able to see your neighbors wifi. In addition more stuff than wifi runs on these channels. Baby monitors and cordless phones and many other things that are not "Wifi" but still interfere. Also be very careful with these scanner tools. For example the channel numbers in 2.4g only represent 5mhz but it is very common for wifi to use 40mhz. So it will use 8 out of the 11 you see. On 5ghz the channels are 20mhz but 802.11ac uses 80mhz blocks and the newer 802.11ax(wiif6) uses 160mhz. This can mean that 1 neighbor is using all the bandwidth even though many times the scanner only shows the main channel that the router is sending out the broadcasts on.

Note it could be a camera problem. I know mine which are 100% wired will crash and reboot from time to time. They seem to have problems on very bright days with lots of moving shadows.

Solution