Western Digital HDD Question

rcbydbinnorva

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
Good Morning,
I am working on a Dell Dimension 4600 system that only run for a few seconds before it shuts down.
I have a Western Digital Caviar WD800BB loaded with Windows XP Pro that has files on it that I would like to access by placing it in another Windows Pro system, but when I power it up I come with a licensing error.
I would appreciate any assistance in solving this problem,
rcbinnorva

Solution
I have 'unselected' the Best Answer so that this topic wont get skipped by people thinking its solved.

Can you feel the drive spinning when it has power connected? (don't connect the data cable, just the power) If its spinning then power down and attach the data, verify the master/slave/CS (cable select) jumper is correct for your setup and power up again and see if it is still spinning.

If its still spinning listen carefully and try to read the drive; you should be able to hear the head move (or try to move)

rcbydbinnorva

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010

Good Morning & Thank You for the quick response,
The Windows message after I log on is:this copy of windows must be activated with microsoft before you can log on. Please ask a computer administrator to activate windows on this computer.

I hope you can help me,
rcbinnorva

rcbydbinnorva

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010

rcbydbinnorva

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
Good Morning,
The system that I am working on only has old IDE ports for the HDDs & only one of those.
I swapped out the 'ribbon' type IDE cable for a much better 'round' that I have not any problems with for years, but I still have the same problem.

popatim

Titan
I have 'unselected' the Best Answer so that this topic wont get skipped by people thinking its solved.

Can you feel the drive spinning when it has power connected? (don't connect the data cable, just the power) If its spinning then power down and attach the data, verify the master/slave/CS (cable select) jumper is correct for your setup and power up again and see if it is still spinning.

If its still spinning listen carefully and try to read the drive; you should be able to hear the head move (or try to move)

Solution