[SOLVED] What are my options to make oculus quest secure( information biometrics)

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
HI
this is a serious questions about legitimity and freedom and security.
For those of you who are not aware or dont care. It is ok . but dont trow comment non contruibuting tx.

So mark Zut facebook owns oculus, biometrics and other are sold to insurances cie than blocking you ... no i d ont like that .

Does any body has security knowledge and looked at the question and could share with me and with us ?

tx.

Solution
hi
you don't have to share my beleives.
i invite you to search the web see how vr data can be used.
this post is not about that.

it is about how to use oculus quest in an anonymous way and how to configure the stuff needed.

like maybe a vpn only router with another router can help? i don t know.
Basically, you can't.

You can't use this thing, and not have it transmit "data" back to home base. That's what it does.
To actually work , it must converse with home base. A large part of its brain lives elsewhere...not in your PC.

A VPN is irrelevant. All that does is maybe obfuscate your IP address.
The Oculous is still linked to an "account", which is "you".

kanewolf

Titan
HI
this is a serious questions about legitimity and freedom and security.
For those of you who are not aware or dont care. It is ok . but dont trow comment non contruibuting tx.

So mark Zut facebook owns oculus, biometrics and other are sold to insurances cie than blocking you ... no i d ont like that .

Does any body has security knowledge and looked at the question and could share with me and with us ?

tx.
What information are you concerned about leaking? You use the term biometrics several times, What do you believe is capturing these biometrics?

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
for example they can predict or detect illness or tendency to ... from the movements patterns and their evolution in time. you habe 2 joysticks plus voice plus head mouvement. .. and i am aware lots of stuff is going on i cant imagine so..
maybe to seach on biometric and data collecting

kanewolf

Titan
for example they can predict or detect illness or tendency to ... from the movements patterns and their evolution in time. you habe 2 joysticks plus voice plus head mouvement. .. and i am aware lots of stuff is going on i cant imagine so..
What is the economic incentive for them to collect that data? Facebook collects data today to sell. Do you believe this biomentric data can be monetized?

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
Of course it can be monetised! it is and will be it is precious data . it talks about your nervous system among other. I invite you to do reseach . INsurance Cie love data. publicity love data.

USAFRet

Titan
So, with this VR device, your specific movements are being tracked and recorded. Uploaded to the main brain and then back down to your device and system.

That's what it does. You can't turn that off, and still have the thing be usable.

Given enough data points, and trends will probably emerge.

The only way to win is not to play.

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
hi

it is about how to use oculus quest in an anonymous way and how to configure the stuff needed.

USAFRet

Titan
hi

Basically, you can't.

You can't use this thing, and not have it transmit "data" back to home base. That's what it does.
To actually work , it must converse with home base. A large part of its brain lives elsewhere...not in your PC.

Solution
I probably wouldn't be too terribly concerned about biometric data collection on the current VR headsets. They may have a vague idea about your hand movements and where your head is positioned in a simulation, but it's unlikely anywhere near detailed enough for something like insurance companies to "predict or detect illness".

And unless you are actively speaking into the microphone at any given time, there's little way for them to have any idea about who is actually wearing the headset. It could be you, or it could be one of your friends or relatives.

I really don't think they are transmitting all of that detailed tracking data to Oculus either. The actual processing of those biometrics is performed on the device itself, otherwise the latency would be unusable. The only exception might be something like voice input, where I imagine voice recognition would typically be performed on servers, as would voice communication, if utilized by a game. Perhaps in future headsets, things like eye-tracking data could be more marketable, but again, that's assuming it would even be getting transferred to servers.

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
Basically, you can't.

Well maybe i can have an account which is a fictif one plus hide ip adress ?