[SOLVED] What are some good Linux distros for surfing the Deep Web?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krelidas_34

Honorable
Sep 23, 2018
From what I know, Tails OS is a good system. Unfortunately, the operating system does not directly boot on hard drives or SSDs- you need a USB. But I wonder if there's any secure Linux distro that directly boots from HDD/SDD drives. I know one OS called Qube OS. Anything other than that, I don't know. The OS needs to behave similar to Tails, such as an amnesic capability (Amnesic capability is having a computer deleting all of its information after you shut it down). Again, it needs to directly boot from hard drives.

I heard stories of people taking lot of nasty risks surfing the deep web, so it's highly unlikely that I'd do it; I'm just curious. If I had to do it, I would surf for curiosity- I would NEVER partake any activities there, good or bad (I would also NEVER do any bad things, of course). I need to be safe.

Last edited:
Solution
Kali Linux is a popular "hacker" OS, it's based on Debian but comes with a few pre-installed packages that are tailored for people who like to do stuff... anonymously.

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Kali is not to be considered an operating system used for general purpose, it is a set of tools to be used for penetration testing. If you are using it to "be more secure" you are confused. Think of it as "i'm a security professional and I need a swiss army knife of tools" rather than "I need to be invisible to the internet". Hacker toolset != secure.

Reactions: Cj-tech

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Kali Linux is a popular "hacker" OS, it's based on Debian but comes with a few pre-installed packages that are tailored for people who like to do stuff... anonymously.

You are wrong about it being tailored for people who like doing stuff anonymously. It is only a collection of tools for computer forensics. It is meant for penetration testing and that only. The maintainers of the distro are clear, if you are looking for using the distro for other than pen testing, look elsewhere.

Last edited:

krelidas_34

Honorable
Sep 23, 2018
You are wrong about it being tailored for people who like doing stuff anonymously. It is only a collection of tools for computer forensics. It is meant for penetration testing and that only. The maintainers of the distro are clear, if you are looking for using the distro for other than pen testing, look elsewhere.

Then which OS should I use? I wish to know.

What OP is looking for is a distro called Tails, but it's not nearly as easy as a regular distro. Tails's big thing is that it's amnesiac, the OS doesn't write any records or keep any files from boot to boot. Essentially it acts like a completely new OS every time you boot up, which isn't ideal for the vast majority of people. It has a built in version of veracrypt and lets you make an encrypted container for stuff you want to save, and you'll need to unlock and remount it every time you boot up. Comes prepackaged with Tor browser, package installations have to happen in a very round about way. This thing is built for people in countries that do not play nice with those disagreeing with the local government.

https://tails.boum.org

Reactions: Alabalcho

krelidas_34

Honorable
Sep 23, 2018
What OP is looking for is a distro called Tails, but it's not nearly as easy as a regular distro. Tails's big thing is that it's amnesiac, the OS doesn't write any records or keep any files from boot to boot. Essentially it acts like a completely new OS every time you boot up, which isn't ideal for the vast majority of people. It has a built in version of veracrypt and lets you make an encrypted container for stuff you want to save, and you'll need to unlock and remount it every time you boot up. Comes prepackaged with Tor browser, package installations have to happen in a very round about way. This thing is built for people in countries that do not play nice with those disagreeing with the local government.

https://tails.boum.org
What I'm looking for is, a linux distro that is similiar to TailsOS, but can be booted from a hard drive. So far, it's best to use a vpn.

krelidas_34

Honorable
Sep 23, 2018
Thank you guys for the help; means a lot to me! I won't ask these kinds of crazy questions again. Sometimes, I have curiosities about all kinds of computer-related things, and I can ask some wacky ones...

krelidas_34

Honorable
Sep 23, 2018
Announcement: I'm NOT gonna surf on the Deep Web. Never did, never have, and never will. I've seen YouTube videos that show disturbing Deep Web sites. In South Korea, where I live, the law's pretty strict about the Internet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.