Question What are some of the stressful factors does Linux game developers have to endure?

krelidas_34

Honorable
Sep 23, 2018
Ahh... game development. Long work hours (crunch), the grueling frustration of debugging, layoffs, abusive work environment, etc. I majored in computer science, and I took a class on game development. Extreme errors, programs not working right, and tons of other stress factors plagued my mind. But most of them are developed on Windows and may even Macs. By the way, I'm also an avid Linux user, and it is difficult to use and let alone install games. How much would it be frustrating to develop games on Linux? That's my guess...

Sorry for my misconceptions; I'm not overgeneralizing this subject, nor overgeneralizing anyone. However, I'm just curious about how much the Linux game devs have to endure, though. Linux is generally harder, and Linus Torvalds does not give a wink about gaming. If anyone have any experience on that, I wish to know your experiences. Thank you! :)

How easy or hard the development of an application solely depends on the available resources and access to resources that make your life easier or not. Given that Unreal Engine and Unity both have Linux development environments, I'd imagine it's not any more difficult than developing on any other OS once you have everything up and running.

The only thing Linux game developers have to endure is the fact that Linux isn't a popular OS for gaming.

Reactions: krelidas_34

krelidas_34

Honorable
Sep 23, 2018
How easy or hard the development of an application solely depends on the available resources and access to resources that make your life easier or not. Given that Unreal Engine and Unity both have Linux development environments, I'd imagine it's not any more difficult than developing on any other OS once you have everything up and running.

The only thing Linux game developers have to endure is the fact that Linux isn't a popular OS for gaming.
I see. Thank you for the info!