[SOLVED] What are the cons of gaming on this laptop?

VERSION_1583

Commendable
May 7, 2021
Hi,

I was wondering whether a second-hand Dell Laptop would be able to game titles such as GTA V, Witcher 3, Cyberpunk 2077 with relatively mid-high setting (low setting for cyberpunk):

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/del...6-inch-geforce-gtx-1650-win-ghhxd/version.asp

The reason why I am asking is because this laptop has a GTX 1650 but I have seen people paying much higher price for a GTX 1060 Laptop that is not Dell. I was wondering what are the issues surrounding Dell XPS?

Is it because of low RAM size?

Solution
I see. I think I'll definitely skip Dell then. I have come across many second-hand with similar problems that you have described. The one I was looking at had a problem with camera.

So is there any other brands that you would recommend for laptop? Something that would be reasonable price for second hand.

The issue isn't Dell it's that particular machine, Dell makes GSeries and Alienware gaming laptops. That XPS is just not a gaming machine.

As far as finding a Gaming laptop 2nd hand or refurbished just keep digging through all the usual places. Any machine that you would want to game on needs at least 16GB of RAM, don't get distracted by the GPU and CPU numbers, make sure you have enough system memory.

CompuGuy71

Proper
Jul 20, 2022
This laptop will be absolute garbo trying to play any of those games. 8GB of RAM is not enough to get you what you're looking for.

The 1650 is a fine card for 1080p but who knows what they have done with this mobile version to meet power requirements.

Reactions: VERSION_1583

Lutfij

Titan
Entry level gaming, yes. Mid-high settings, I doubt. Dell's laptops in my experience tend to have brittle constructs. After a couple of usage scenarios they end up with broken hinges, lost screws(in spite of having Loctite on said screws).

The GTX1650 is meant for entry level gaming. To add, the laptop in general is meant for people like photographers who are on the move, who need something to work off of while moving from one location to the next without carrying a cumbersome(heavy) laptop. Entry level gaming sure, light studio work, sure.

Given that you're looking at this unit second hand, would mean it's been used, clogged up with debris and in need of servicing. Most likely the person who bought it first wants to get rid of it after realizing what they purchased into.

VERSION_1583

Commendable
May 7, 2021
Entry level gaming, yes. Mid-high settings, I doubt. Dell's laptops in my experience tend to have brittle constructs. After a couple of usage scenarios they end up with broken hinges, lost screws(in spite of having Loctite on said screws).

The GTX1650 is meant for entry level gaming. To add, the laptop in general is meant for people like photographers who are on the move, who need something to work off of while moving from one location to the next without carrying a cumbersome(heavy) laptop. Entry level gaming sure, light studio work, sure.

Given that you're looking at this unit second hand, would mean it's been used, clogged up with debris and in need of servicing. Most likely the person who bought it first wants to get rid of it after realizing what they purchased into.

I see. I think I'll definitely skip Dell then. I have come across many second-hand with similar problems that you have described. The one I was looking at had a problem with camera.

So is there any other brands that you would recommend for laptop? Something that would be reasonable price for second hand.

CompuGuy71

Proper
Jul 20, 2022

The issue isn't Dell it's that particular machine, Dell makes GSeries and Alienware gaming laptops. That XPS is just not a gaming machine.

As far as finding a Gaming laptop 2nd hand or refurbished just keep digging through all the usual places. Any machine that you would want to game on needs at least 16GB of RAM, don't get distracted by the GPU and CPU numbers, make sure you have enough system memory.

Solution

VERSION_1583

Commendable
May 7, 2021
Hi, I found this Alienware laptop with a GTX 980M. However, the seller mentioned that he went to a shop and was told that there was a VRAM issue with the laptop.

I asked him and he said he didn't enquire further detail. Should I still buy the laptop? The deal is very good.

CompuGuy71

Proper
Jul 20, 2022
Hi, I found this Alienware laptop with a GTX 980M. However, the seller mentioned that he went to a shop and was told that there was a VRAM issue with the laptop.

I asked him and he said he didn't enquire further detail. Should I still buy the laptop? The deal is very good.

I wouldn't buy anything that has known issues before I even get it in my hands. Also, that machine probably will not give you the gaming performance that you really would like to have.

VERSION_1583

Commendable
May 7, 2021
Yeah. I requested the seller to give me 30 day refund policy but he wouldn't do it under the reason that its old and that's why he is selling it.

Not going to buy it now.