what are these 3 cables

woodyfly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
They came with my gigabye mobo.. what are these cables for??

theres a yellow one which has 3 of those pin things.. god what do u call them.. i need some better terms... they look like theyre for the cd rom?

then theres a grey one with 2 pin block thingies... for my floppy maybe? The middle of the cable is cut .. just like my floppy cable on my old comp

Then theres some orange cables.... jhmm?

Plummer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
The orange ones are SATA cables.
The big flat one with the split in is the floppy cable.
The other, slightly wider flat one is the IDE cable.

Try here for help with putting your PC together.

woodyfly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
On the IDE cable.. how do i work it? Do i put one in my dvd rom, one in my cd rom, then the last one to the motherboard?

And i need help with my sata hd... right now this is what it looks like. Theres 4 sata places where i can plug in. THe x is where is where my sata cable is plugged in the motherboard.. but now i have this new cable ... wtfzzz

[ ][X]------harddrive
[ ][ ]

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
If you are seriously asking these questions, you should probably not be building or upgrading your own PC.

If this is yet another "wind up" post, which seems to have become popular recently, I think I missed the punchline :/

woodyfly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
It's my first time building.. how about u give me some answers... like.. wtf is a wind up post? or.. which sata connector should i plug into

woodyfly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
continue wiv dat attitude and no1 will answer you

im surprised you haven't been knocked head over arse yet

what attitude? You mean this attitude? u fuck3n moron. Read again. I asked what does a wind up post mean and which sata should i use. I havent spent my whole life reading these forums and building computers, maybe you have, not me. fkn a$$hole

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
what attitude? You mean this attitude? u ****** moron. Read again. I asked what does a wind up post mean and which sata should i use. I havent spent my whole life reading these forums and building computers, maybe you have, not me. fkn a$$hole

While it's true that you should be given the benifit of the doubt, you should know that you're not going to get any help if you talk to people like that. In life or on the internet.

And if you don't know what SATA, IDE and Floppy cables are then I do agree that perhaps you shouldn't be building your own PC.

I don't think anyone here really means to be rude.
But seriously dude,
the questions you are asking is like going to take a driving test and asking the officer giving the test "where do I put this key thingy to make the car go".

You really, really should start by first enlisting the help of a friend who knows a little more about PC's, or you are going to end up breaking or ruining something you just paid good money for.

Plummer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
If you don't know what those cables are and are trying to build a PC, then the link that I posted would be a very good place to start.

I think that spending money on PC parts before getting a basic idea of what to do with them is a big mistake.

If you are seriously asking these questions, you should probably not be building or upgrading your own PC.

If this is yet another "wind up" post, which seems to have become popular recently, I think I missed the punchline :/

Everyone's got to start somewhere!

I hope it's not a "wind up". "Wind Up" is a term not commonly used or understood in American English. It means a prank or a joke. And yes, if this is a prank or a joke it would be truly sad that people are wasting time and effort to help someone who doesn't need it.

Based on his posting history he seems to be sincere in his search and is actually making use of some of the correct sections, which makes him better than most people new to the forum!

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=search&search_author=woodyfly&u=127683&internal=1

woodyfly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Um.. im only asking to make SURE. Btw for the ppl saying i shouldnt try building a comp.. i just did. I just finished building my first comp with a ga-945p-s3 and e4300. I dont understand which sata hole im supposed to plug my sata hd in... it works in any

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
Um.. im only asking to make SURE. Btw for the ppl saying i shouldnt try building a comp.. i just did. I just finished building my first comp with a ga-945p-s3 and e4300. I dont understand which sata hole im supposed to plug my sata hd in... it works in any

doesnt matter which it will work ok.

but better to put it in sata 1

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Really?

Also, the internet isn't really the best place to ask for building advice. It's better to have a friend who knows about that kind of stuff next to you. Giving advice from another continent away can be a bit risky at times.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006

HAHAHA!

MrMr

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
I'm sure he meant E6300. But ya! That's nothing compared to the post where a guy wanted to know if a socket 775 celeron would be a good upgrade for his socket A motherboard. And linked a PCIe card that he was looking to purchase. We all learn eventually. Noob mistakes today, wealth of knowledge tomorrow. Lets give them a break, we were them at one point.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Well that doesnt look like a mistake because the 4 is 1 button away from the 6.
Im not saying he is retarded or something, just that it makes people laugh and have a little fun. I know, we were all noobs once.

BTW: I would really like to know who is that guy who wanted to put a celeron on his socket A mobo :D

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
It's my first time building.. how about u give me some answers... like.. wtf is a wind up post? or.. which sata connector should i plug into

It doesn't matter which motherboard port you plug the SATA cable into.

4745454b

Titan
LOL, if you guys think its bad now, wait until he starts overclocking....

Ok, so I took the FSB up to 366, and bumped all the voltages in the bios up by 1.5Vs. When I turned the machine on it sparked really bad and won't do anything at all now. What do I do to make it work again?

First, congrats on building your first machine. Like the others though, I question the wisdom of you doing that if you don't know what cables are used for what, as this is one of those basic things. (similar to what SATA plug to use.) If its working, pat yourself on the back, and play some video games.

bobert866

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
You guys should grow up and not jump the guys case because hes new and willing to do it himself. I started the same way he did, except i didnt look for advice on the internet, i just started plugging stuff in. It's not as hard as you make it out to be so don't try to scare the guy. This is only directed at u few who acted like idiots towards the guy. For those that actually gave legit advice, thank you.