[SOLVED] What CPU Cooler should I get

Pedro Monteiro

Honorable
Dec 31, 2014
Hello guys, recently I upgraded my CPU into a i7 10700k (my previous one was a i7 4790k)

When running games his temps go as far as 89ºc... Which I think it's not that good :(

On idle my CPU is like 40ºc, and yesterday I went to render a video in 2K (in Davinci Resolve) and my CPU was reaching temps like 100ºc on all cores. (I thought my PC would shutdown to be honest)

But in the end I could render the video, but I wanna upgrade my CPU Cooler.

My current cooler is an CoolerMaster Hyper tx3i, a really old one.

The thing is, my case is one from phanteks, it's a P300Air since the place I have my computer is a really small one, so I needed a small case, in terms of airflow, the PC it's not concealed in a thigh place it has alot of fresh air around it, my room temps are like between 18ºc ~ 25ºc.

But since I upgraded my CPU, with a small case like this I think my cooler is not dealing with it very well...

My system is:
Case - P300Air (2x 140mm in front, 1x 140mm out in the back)
GPU - RTX 2070 Super
CPU - 10700k
RAM - 16GB
Cooler - CoolerMaster Hyper tx3i

By the end of the day, what I'm gonna do is gaming and yeah rendering some 2K videos, what CPU cooler would you guys recommend to me ? An Air cooler or Water cooler ?

Solution
Do you know the length of your GPU?
you have 355mm to work with before AIO which leave around 305mm
Should be fine with 2070 supers I believe.
Any 240 or 280mm AIO should work well.
Reviews each say a different brand is best.

The difference in cost is slight so I say go 280mm if you want to go AIO route.
I run the NZXT Z63, but the X63 will cool exactly the same and be cheaper.
I am running a 5900X and I hit 72c in a stress test at 22c ambient room temp for reference

AIO Pros: Looks better (IMO), less MB space used, can cool better quite often.
Cons: Always a slight chance of a leak, extra wiring and SW to run that is problematic sometimes.
They say NZXT Cam SW sucks, but 2 months in and I have had no issues.

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
But those are air coolers, wouldn't a water cooler be better than air coolers in my case due to it being small and compact ?

Also question, does my RAM even fit when getting those coolers ?
Noctua NH-U12A
This one is way smaller and about as effective as the Huge Noctua.
I figured you wanted to replace with a better air cooler.
Water cooling is definitely an option and can be a few degrees better.
Im going to look at you cases radiator options

Pedro Monteiro

Honorable
Dec 31, 2014
Noctua NH-U12A
This one is way smaller and about as effective as the Huge Noctua.
I figured you wanted to replace with a better air cooler.
Water cooling is definitely an option and can be a few degrees better.
Im going to look at you cases radiator options

Thanks man really appreciated, I don't mind installing a air cooler, if it works, that's the thing, since I have this air cooler, and it's not really being effective (altho mine is old and might be something to do with it)

But to be honest, what would you go for ? Air cooling or water cooling ?

What are the pros and the cons ?

If it's cost, like for example the water cooler is just +30€ instead I don't mind buying the water cooler, if the performances are good / way better than the air cooler.

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021

I am running a 5900X and I hit 72c in a stress test at 22c ambient room temp for reference

Cons: Always a slight chance of a leak, extra wiring and SW to run that is problematic sometimes.

Last edited:
Solution

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
Another thing that is a positive for AIO is that It can draw fresh air from outside to cool better than air cooler that uses case air to cool.
Thats also a negative sometimes though if the GPU is eating that warm exhaust from the aio comparted to air cooler eating the GPU exhaust.

Pedro Monteiro

Honorable
Dec 31, 2014

So you can check this photo i just took, it looks like between gpu and the front fans i have between 15cm ~ 20cm

Another thing that is a positive for AIO is that It can draw fresh air from outside to cool better than air cooler that uses case air to cool.
Thats also a negative sometimes though if the GPU is eating that warm exhaust from the aio comparted to air cooler eating the GPU exhaust.

Well for that I thought maybe I would get a radiator with 140mm and mount it on top of my case (sorry about dust xD) since it has a magnetic filter and I'm not using that top mount on my PC, or just mount the single 140mm radiator in top front, since the graphics card is kinda below...

Tell me what you think would be the best.

Reactions: Bassman999

Pedro Monteiro

Honorable
Dec 31, 2014
And also having CPU Cooler CAM or RGB is kinda meh, because I'm not using my PC on top of my desk...

I'm using it below, so if I could save up some money just because of that I would buy a cooler that has nothing like that if you get what i mean.

Pedro Monteiro

Honorable
Dec 31, 2014
Thanks for the answers, in the end I bought a 240mm AIO cooler from cooler master, this one Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L v2, it was like 70€ and looks okayish, I was checking the one you sent x63 but it was 140€ so double the price and I don't think there will be much difference between the two.

Reactions: Bassman999