What do You think of BC2?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

What do You think of BC2?

• BC2 works great! Multiplayer is perfect!

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • Most of the time i can find a server

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Sometime I get a working server

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • I can never get a working server

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Single Player is enough for me

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Hate the game

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
I was having a lot of CTD with the release a few nights ago. I backed off on my CPU overclock and I was able to run last night without one CTD. There is a tweak to limit the CPU rendering so I am going to try that and see if I can OC again but for all of those who are interested, here is a cool tweak guide for BC2

http://www.fragcast.org/?p=433

JDV28

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009

1) whats so glitchy? it just looks like gameplay dude. Well, actually it looks like your setup cant handle the game completely maxed out.

2) I always have everything maxed out including AA and no problems here.
I really think you are making up problems... Obviously the game isnt perfect, but dont make it seem worse than it is. The only problem i have with this game is EA

Micccx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Great game, better than MW2, we even have our own clan server, how much better can that be? I'm so happy they put dedicated servers... now all they need to do is fix their lag issues and i'll be happy. But yeah, definetly worth the $50 for the limited edition unlike MW2 hardened edition that started at $80. :)

Micccx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
not really? I got more lag in MW2, than I am in this game :)
Hardened edition wasn't anything special, it was just a hard case that looked cooler :) the special edition was like $150 and came with the hardened case and night vision goggles.... LOL I mean really do you need all that? I just got mine for $50 because I preordered it.

JDV28

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
Nice, yea the lost planet came in a metal case and i think that was it lol
@ovrclkr, na i dont notice much, but a bit of lag in a huge explosion is OK, i mean, i was just playing, and i realized that there were non-stop explosions and debris everywhere

tarquinbiscuitbarrel

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
the scale of the maps is responsible for the lag.

for example if you man the MG on a car while someone is driving - you will find it almost impossible to aim due to sync issues causing your screen to skip.

another bad point is that HDR lighting is forced on which really hurts my eyes at times - and causes a lot of framerate problem for some people (not myself thankfully).

also - the repair tool causes a 'welding' flame which is almost blinding on the brighter LCD monitors. i don't want to go blind, do DICE expect engineers to wear a welding mask IRL while playing?

JamesWhite

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Hi everyone
I developed a game site.There are very interesting game are available. Some game like Jocuri Gratuite and the web site is http://monstergames.ro/. Just play once and enjoy the fun.

Thanks

yea, the game needs a patch like yesterday...

We had a mini-lan party at a friends house this weekend and I got the chance to play on a rig that had a single 5850, to my surprise I noticed the same exact lag that I get with my GTX 260 so it's not a hardware issue. I was getting anything from 37FPS min to 120FPS max @ 1680x 1050 (v-sync off) no xAA. The FPS drop in BC2 is ridiculous, I can understand a 30-40 FPS drop but 80-90 FPS is just wrong..

I would also like to point out that the game has a glitch when it is time to enable xAA, there is no "apply" button to click on once you change this value, so you actually don't know if the game applied the xAA or not. The only way I can be 100% sure that the game is running at full xAA is by going into the Nvidia Control Panel and adjusting it manually.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
I think you are seeing hardware or VGA driver issues, not game issues. I get small dips in FPS when tanks explode and buildings collapse but nothing to the magnitude that you are talking about and for sure not at random like when I am just running around. I would get into the system.ini file and start playing around with the settings like DX version, sound quality...ect...ect... and see if you can minimize your drops. Look at that tweak guide that I posted above for other ideas.

I don't think you can call the absence of an apply button a glitch. The settings take hold when you change them in the game. If you are worried about it, again, get into your system.ini file in mydocuments\BC2 folder and change the settings there.

Everyone is complaining about this game's performance at the moment but it will get better. Once NV and ATI release drivers for it and Dice figures out the connection issues, this game will be running like sweet sauce.

Ovclkr: I had an afterthought. Are you turning AA on in the game and through NV controls? I have an ATI card but I know that using the AA through ATI's ccc seriously drops the performance and doesn't seem to visually work. I would make sure you aren't setting AF or AA in your NV controls and then turning them on in your game settings as well.

No hardare or VGA issues, we had 5 different rigs playing on 5 different servers and all 5 rigs were experiencing the same issue. We changed the AUDIO/DX/ini files/ you name it, and still no fix. Of course lowering the audio quility did help a bit but nothing earth-shattering.

You can go on overclock.net and see that most are having the same exact issue at 1680x 1050 or higher resolutions.

We even had a rig with an OC'ed 920 @ 4.3Ghz / 5870 / 8Gb DDR3 @ 2000Mhz and still had major FPS drops no matter what we changed.

I recorded a video, will post tonight so you can get an idea of the issue ;)

Kewlx25

Distinguished
The server browser is a bit sketchy and the launch was VERY rough, but it's very playable now.

I just played all weekend, had a 10 hour streak of non-stop delight on Sunday. Can't wait to order my 5870 later this week to replace my 4850.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Hmm...I am running my quad core at 2.66Ghz and my 5870 at stock speeds and have no dips at all. I am at 1440x900 though. Have you tested out a lower resolution? Prob not a permanent solution but just to see if the lags go away?

yea we were running all settings on High / xAA at 1x / xAF at 1x

we really didnt see anything different when going from MED to HIGH. Also for some reason I get the same exact FPS regargless if the xAA is at x1 or x16 .. this is why I am skeptical about the system not "applying" the xAA :(

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Do you monitor your CPU and GPU use while you are playing? Temps as well? I am wondering if you see any drop in GPU load when the lag hits or have a weird overheating problem. How does your CPU core usage look? Using all of them?

I am not sure if this was fixed but there was an issue with CPUs rendering too far ahead of the GPU and then I think lags were happening. There is a command line to cap this but I would have to dig deep to find that one.

Also, have you tried running with vsync? I know it sucks but just to see if it prevents the dips?

You should see AA working if you get very close to a tree branch and look through it. The foliage will have a meshed-look to it when AA is enabled.

Yes, I use Precision and have all my readings on the top left hand corner of the screen. We tested with and w/o v-sync just to see the difference in visuals.

The GPU/CPU load is normally leveled, i do not see any drops unless I click out of the game..

I normally play with v-sync enabled cause the tearing really annoys me, but for benching purposes it is normally off.

After work I will look at xAA issue and see if I can point that out, thx for the suggestions =)

+1

thx for the link, been looking everywhere for a benchmark ;)

seems like the 5830 is right there with the GTX 275 :eek:

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
I am liking their CPU tests. It looks like if you are at 3Ghz and have at least a dual core, the rest is up to your GPU.

Seeing the very minute FPS drop from medium to high, it looks like they could do a little more optimizing though. It sounds like what you are talking about OvrClkr by changing the settings and not seeing much of a diff.

maximaniac

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
I just started playing this past Sunday, so it looks like I missed most of the frustrations from Day 1. The game is working great for me. I have mostly everything set to high (shadows are low) and I'm getting a fairly constant 60-70fps. The only issue I'm having is that every 2-3 mins I get a 1-2 second lag spike and everything freezes. It's like if I walk 5 ft and the lag spike hits me, I move back to my starting position. This really sucks when I was the Blackhawk pilot and I got a lag spike and flew into a tree. I think it might be my connection though because it was doing that on TF2 the other day for me. Other than that, the game runs perfectly for me.

Seeing the very minute FPS drop from medium to high, it looks like they could do a little more optimizing though. It sounds like what you are talking about OvrClkr by changing the settings and not seeing much of a diff.[/quotemsg]

I assume this will be fixed with a future patch, the game is glitchy but playable ;)