What do You think of BC2?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

What do You think of BC2?

• BC2 works great! Multiplayer is perfect!

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • Most of the time i can find a server

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Sometime I get a working server

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • I can never get a working server

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Single Player is enough for me

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Hate the game

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

maximaniac

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
Update on my lag spike situation: I found out that my computer was using the wireless adapter, not the ethernet cable. I disabled the wireless adapter haven't experienced any lag spikes since.

JDV28

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009

Nice, I use wireless from 2 floors away (2nd floor to basement) with an old wireless G router, and i get no lag, really funny to me that i have an ancient router & bad reception, yet i have less problems than most people with the servers.

JDV28

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
Yea, i do need a new router though, i have to unplug it like 10 times a day. But it never fails me for games! but for websites its iffy

I have a Lynksys WRT320N and it has been flawless since day one, the trick to getting a perfect signal w/o having to reset it constantly is to manually connect the router to your PC via ethernet and log on to the manufacturers website, adjust all settings making sure every value is keyed in correctly, here is an awesome guide that should help you with your issue :

http://www.home-network-help.com/wireless-router.html

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
What kind do you have JD? I had a netgear that was really bad where I had to reset it a few times a day. I went through two actually. One blew out in under a year and then stupidly, I got the same one to replace it. Nowadays, I run with a lynksys.

I gave up trying to game on a wireless connection. I would get crazy ping spikes and get kicked for high pings ALL of the time. I live around too many people where my wifi picks up at least 15 other routers so I think there was just too much interference.

maximaniac

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
Spinach, that's exactly why I don't use wireless for gaming either. I get those lag spikes and it just gets too frustrating. I haven't experienced any spikes since I've been using the ethernet cable.

Bird0fPrey

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
Don't like: no prone, toggle crouch, no commo rose, difficult to connect to servers at times. These are, however, issues I can live with.

Love: sound effects (best ever in any fps i've played so far), graphics, maps - not too small or large, no jet whores, variety of weapons, dedi servers, destructible environment, squad spawn system, mortars!!!

For me, BC2 is my new BF2, meaning I'll be playing it for the next five years, or until something better comes out sooner. But at this point I don't see that happening. Needs to be patched, tho, but it will be.

Other thoughts: I got MW2 fist day it was released. It was fun for about a month, then I got bored, then annoyed within 2 months. Went back to BF2 until BC2 release. No reason to go back to MW2 whatsoever. Will probably play BF2 (& 2142) from time to time for nostalgic purposes.

JDV28

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009

Yea i have an old netgear. But no ping spikes or anything. I can game on it just fine.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Q button while looking at a medic. It is weird because they made it an auto command so it calls out what you need given the situation. Apparently it does the "hey I need a ride" if you do it on the vehicle but I haven't tried that one yet.

I agree with you Bird0, given the major changes, it still is on par with BF2 and this will probably be my main game until they release the next BF with frostbite 2.

JDV28

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
Yea, as a dedicated medic i am always watching my map for any fallen comrades, and watching your guys' health bar to see when ya need a pack, but hearing someone call for a medic would easier than having to look over you guys. Especially since you guys have a habit of dying all at once lmao

IMO they should have gotten rid of the whole Bad Company name all together and made a BF3. Give us planes and the same controls we had in BF2.

BC1 was a disater, not sure why they kept the title going...

thephilly

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
I haven't had any performance issues. Everything is related to connectivity.

At any given time you can run in to:
Can't log in to EA.
Able to log in but get dropped within minutes.
Server full but when a slot opens can't connect to servers. (Have to restart game)
Able to join server but kicked because PB drops connection.
Able to join, play solid for an hour or so, then dropped out of nowhere.

Gets annoying to have to reload over and over especially if you're playing with a group of friends. Only plus to MW2 is its easier and faster to get a group of people into a game together.

Other than the rip-your-hair-out connection issues, it is increasingly fun.

Bird0fPrey

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

I don't fly, but this was one of my biggest peeves with BF2. The Jet whores dominating the whole game, going 57 and 1, and basically keeping you tapping the respawn button for the entire round. The AA was absolutely useless. Even if you did have a good pilot on the team, more often than not they were more interested in bombing infantry than attacking the other team's jet. I remember trying my hardest to cap flags with no air support or backup because half the team was tk'ing earch other at the airfield to get the jet. It really was a no-skill way to rank up quickly, IMHO. No, I don't miss the jets at all. I'm sure BF3 will have them back, tho. But for now I'm enjoying not getting bombed every minute.

No skill?? Lol you need major skill to fly a plane and be able to shoot the enemy's plane down. That was by far one of the best features that BF2 has. I guess you need to really be into flying in order to actually care about it. Wake Island is a perfect example ;) , and no it was not an issue to have a plane drop a bomb on you, that is what the turrets are for. Well at least I had a blast..

Bird0fPrey

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

I think the point that is trying to be made is that it was a no-skill way to RANK UP, not that it didn't required to skill to fly well. No doubt it took skill to be a good dogfighter. However, I rarely saw actual dogfights between jets. More often than not, they were raping infantry.

I don't fly. Just never got into it. I've been playing BF2 since it came out in '05 and haven't made it past Lieutenant. But I remember early after release seeing jetwhores already 1 and 2 star generals. These days if I'm getting raped by a jetwhore it's almost always a 5-star general. Everyone who has ever played Bf2 knows if you want to rank up fast, grab a jet. Aside from having a good pilot on your team who is actually interested in dogfights (as opposed to racking up crazy kill/death ratios), there was no defense against them. And, the jetwhores knew it. AA never worked on jets. I do remember one time, and maybe it is my most memorable moment in BF2, i did knock out a J-10 jetwhore with the main gun of a tank, on purpose. A think of beauty I tell ya. Even the jetwhore was impressed.

Correct, and that is why you need skill to fly. Not everyone can fly, meaning not everyone cared to take the time to learn. If you don't like it then don't fly, but don't dogg the pilots just cause they are good at it. Most ranked servers had strict rules when it came to flying, not all servers were bombarded by this issue.

Anyways IMO BF2 has a few things that BC2 needs, thats all im saying...

Micccx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
I think the helicopters are good enough, no need for jets lol. Because it takes skill to fly those, as well as skill to take them down. (in more than one way)

Bird0fPrey

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

Not dogging the pilots, just the balance issues of the game. And I completely agree there are some things from BF2 I'd pay for to be added into BC2. Commo rose is one example. I'm not sure how I feel about no prone yet. On one hand, I was annoyed by the dolphin divers in BF2, yet on the other hand it made sniping a bit more fun. But I think there are more things done right with BC2 than were done wrong, compared to BF2. One thing I definitely don't miss is the commander spotting spam. "Enemy infantry spotted" (to the 20th power) got real annoying. Come to think of it, I don't miss the commander part at all. It was a good concept, tho.

Yea well im not sure why they removed the prone. it was a must for snipers, dolphin diving was not an issue for me since everyone can do it. I do miss being a commander though, I guess I got used to BF2.