Question What does 2 or 4 memory socket means in motherboard support list?

darkerm

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
Here is my mother board support list for ram. I also mark the ram model with red mark.
it shows memory socket support only 2? what does this means?
My motherboard have 4 ram slot and I already have 2 4GB Ram running in dual channel and I want to add 2 more ram. will it work?
please help me on this.

kanewolf

Titan
It means that the memory you have a check next to, only passed verification by the motherboard manufacturer when using two sticks of RAM. Other memory on that list passed verification with both two and four DIMM configurations. So the motherboard manufacturer does not recommend that specific RAM be used in a four DIMM configuration.

Reactions: darkerm

darkerm

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
It means that the memory you have a check next to, only passed verification by the motherboard manufacturer when using two sticks of RAM. Other memory on that list passed verification with both two and four DIMM configurations. So the motherboard manufacturer does not recommend that specific RAM be used in a four DIMM configuration.
So if I buy the same Ram I'm using it will not work?
I already have 2 so I want 2 more.. It will not work?

kanewolf

Titan
So if I buy the same Ram I'm using it will not work?
I already have 2 so I want 2 more.. It will not work?
Unknown. Two sets of RAM have no guarantee of working even if they are validated on the QVL. If you want four DIMMs guaranteed to work, you should buy a four DIMM matched set.
I can't predict what the exact four DIMMs you will have will do. But the best thing for you to do is buy a set of two matched 8GB DIMMs and sell the 4GB DIMMs you have, IMO.

Reactions: darkerm