Iver Hicarte

Distinguished
May 7, 2016
2 years ago I bought an Asus TUF RX 6700XT from a very reputable shop I always buy my parts from, never had an issue with them. Anyways, when I bought this particular GPU, an employee of the store said that it came from a "Green Market" supplier, and since I was adamant that I'm not coming home from that day without a GPU in my hands (since two years ago there was a GPU crisis as most of you know), I bought the unit anyway. Supposedly, I was hoping that I could purchase an Nvidia card back then but it was all out of stock and this GPU was the only one available and so I took it without second thoughts. And during the 2 years and counting with this GPU, it has a weird behavior. Anyways the GPU problem isn't the subject here, I searched the net and only Wikipedia had an answer, but it was a very concise one. I was hoping you guys could elaborate on what the "Green Market" term implies. Since my GPU was acting with hiccups, I suddenly had a flashback of that guy saying it came from a "Green Market" supplier, hence I had to ask the question for the reason being that maybe this is the reason why my 6700XT has hiccups.

USAFRet

Titan
"Green Market" could refer to multiple things.

I suspect he was referring to this definition, from Wiki:
"Green market products are previously owned products that have been previously used and put back into productive use. These products are often repaired, refurbished and recycled by brokers, resellers or the original manufacturer. They are suitable for resale to customers as a lower cost alternative to buying new goods from standard distribution channels."

So, used, possibly "refurbished", and sold to you.

Iver Hicarte

Distinguished
May 7, 2016

"Green market products are previously owned products that have been previously used and put back into productive use. These products are often repaired, refurbished and recycled by brokers, resellers or the original manufacturer. They are suitable for resale to customers as a lower cost alternative to buying new goods from standard distribution channels."

I kinda feel bad about the purchase I made 2 years ago, they sold the 6700XT to me above MSRP. So basically I got a defective unit (unbeknownst to me) for the price of a brand new one without any hiccups. I was emotionally blinded back then, I wouldn't go home empty handed, and so here I am, making do with the compromises this GPU brought me. But what the hell it is what it is, no point in crying over spilled milk.

Reactions: Avro Arrow

Iver Hicarte

Distinguished
May 7, 2016

This is the very same Wikipedia entry I saw also. I just can't believe I got a refurbished one. Can't blame the store either, the store's humoungously popular in my country, so I didn't really think of them selling such GPU's, but lesson learned.

I kinda feel bad about the purchase I made 2 years ago, they sold the 6700XT to me above MSRP. So basically I got a defective unit (unbeknownst to me) for the price of a brand new one without any hiccups. I was emotionally blinded back then, I wouldn't go home empty handed, and so here I am, making do with the compromises this GPU brought me. But what the hell it is what it is, no point in crying over spilled milk.
There is a bright side to this. At least you didn't spend an even more exorbitant amount of money for a GeForce card that today wouldn't have enough VRAM to run at 1400p ultra settings (let alone run RT at 1440p).

Sure, you got unlucky, but most people in your situation didn't. However, 100% of the people who bought RTX 3070s and 3070 Tis bought them for 1440p gaming and they all got screwed! Sure, the card ended up being bad but guess what, Radeon cards aren't defective any more frequently than GeForce cards.

Besides, you can replace an RX 6700 XT for just $310 these days. That's a lot better than the $447 replacement price of the problematic RTX 3070 so it could've been a lot worse.

I'm not trying to downplay your situation, I'm just trying to make you feel a bit better about it. ;)

Last edited:

Iver Hicarte

Distinguished
May 7, 2016
There is a bright side to this. At least you didn't spend an even more exorbitant amount of money for a GeForce card that today wouldn't have enough VRAM to run at 1400p ultra settings (let alone run RT at 1440p).

Sure, you got unlucky, but most people in your situation didn't. However, 100% of the people who bought RTX 3070s and 3070 Tis bought them for 1440p gaming and they all got screwed! Sure, the card ended up being bad but guess what, Radeon cards aren't defective any more frequently than GeForce cards.

Besides, you can replace an RX 6700 XT for just $310 these days. That's a lot better than the $447 replacement price of the problematic RTX 3070 so it could've been a lot worse.

I'm not trying to downplay your situation, I'm just trying to make you feel a bit better about it. ;)
That is a very good opinion, but I'm a 1080p gamer, I don't play at 1440p so my PC doesn't get obsolete quickly. Basically, I futureproof my system as much as I can, so even when the newer games come out, I can still have a very enjoyable experience, since I only game at 1080p. If I were playing at 1440p, I would've gotten a beefier card that's for sure. Performance wise though, my 6700XT runs fine. But if you're on the desktop and just casually browsing the net and using some editing software, that's where the issue comes into play.

Iver Hicarte

Distinguished
May 7, 2016
What does the card do that is failing?

As far as the term green market, that sounds to me like a term they were using to resell a card basically that was a used card
It flickers when you set the refresh rate to 144hz, but this only happens when you're doing something on the desktop. But this issue never happens when gaming, I have played a ton of games with this card, old and new, and the issue never showed itself. But if I'm editing, installing or whatever I do on the desktop it flickers and leaves tabs partially rendered, so the tabs are half white and half black with some text going invisible. And the only way to counter this is to set the refresh rate back to 60hz default. Which is a pain in the bum, I have a 144hz monitor and I didn't buy it to make do with 60hz. But this is better than buying a new GPU which is gonna be costly. Performance and thermals wise, it's good. It's just the minor compromise that it brings that bothers me.

Dumb question. Did you try another port?

Just looking around and found this.

According to some of the posters there they had the exact issue you are having but were using hdmi. Some of them stated when they switched to using DisplayPort cables it worked better. As someone above said, you might try going to 120hz and see if that helps.

Last edited:
Another idea, you could try 3rd party drivers. I think I saw where Linus posted a video on YouTube on these a while back. Might be worth a look.

But I’d still be interested in knowing if you are connecting with hdmi or not since folks on the Reddit thread had that and said switching to DisplayPort helped.

Iver Hicarte

Distinguished
May 7, 2016
Another idea, you could try 3rd party drivers. I think I saw where Linus posted a video on YouTube on these a while back. Might be worth a look.

But I’d still be interested in knowing if you are connecting with hdmi or not since folks on the Reddit thread had that and said switching to DisplayPort helped.
I've always used DisplayPort, never used HDMI, but I tested with both cables and tested each port, it still flickers.

That is a very good opinion, but I'm a 1080p gamer, I don't play at 1440p so my PC doesn't get obsolete quickly. Basically, I futureproof my system as much as I can, so even when the newer games come out, I can still have a very enjoyable experience, since I only game at 1080p. If I were playing at 1440p, I would've gotten a beefier card that's for sure. Performance wise though, my 6700XT runs fine. But if you're on the desktop and just casually browsing the net and using some editing software, that's where the issue comes into play.
Yeah, and that's what most people do a lot of the time, even us enthusiast gamers! ;)

Reactions: Iver Hicarte

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Nvidia' secret underground HUB for sale and purchase of Geforce "Green" products ! :smiley:

For what it's worth, I picked a 'return/refurb' from EVGA years ago . IIRC it was the SSC model of the 1080. The price was awesome, $400 for it vs. $600 for the new one during the first mining craze and was lucky to find both of those at that price even. EVGA offered a one year warranty and the only thing they did invalidate the trade up policy/buyback thing they were doing at the time.

It clocked and performed exactly the same way as my Gaming X model and is still working perfectly today.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

Iver Hicarte

Distinguished
May 7, 2016
Yeah, and that's what most people do a lot of the time, even us enthusiast gamers! ;)
And there is "Image Sharpening" for AMD users which comes with the Radeon Relive software and it simulates 1440p if you're on 1080p display. It works perfectly and the image is just crystal sharp, so it doesn't give me a reason to move up to 1440p.