What fittings would I need?

bogo663

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
So I am going to install my first water cooling system in a PC. I am keeping it pretty simple since it is my first attempt.
The part list is as follows (the products are hyper-linked in case you can not tell):
MCRES Micro Rev2 Reservoir
MCP655-B Pump
MCRx20-XP "eXtreme Performance" Radiator Series (Tripple 120mm Version)
Apogee HD CPU Waterblock
3/4" Vinyl Tubing
Fill-port fittings (panel mount) with 1/2" barb
Remote fill-port fitting for MCRes Micro (Rev2)
Swiftech suggested the two fitting listed above for better performance than those included with the Apogee HD Waterblock.

My question is "Do I need any other fittings or adapters to connect the 3/4" tubing to the waterblock, radiator, and/or reservoir."

Also, is this a decent watercooling setup?

scopey86

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Don't buy coolant if it isn't mayhem's, anything else tends to gunk up your system pretty bad in the long run. As for tubing, get durelene or Masterkleer its cheap and doesn't seem to leech plasticizer as badly as other brands. As for your fittings you're going to need 2 fittings for each component of the loop. I'd reccomend bitspower fittings though they're pricey they're worth it. Make sure you match up the ID and OD on your fittings to your tubing.
As for whether or not this is a good loop it's borderline overkill for just a CPU :p so you should be fine.

bogo663

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012

Thanks for the post! The reason I have it overkill for only a CPU is because I plan to eventually expand the cooling to a couple of GPU's.

bogo663

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012

I chose all Swiftech because a person I know swears by thy brand and I trust him when it comes to water cooling, but I'll get what the previous poster recommended.

bogo663

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012

Do you recommend any certain kind of mayhems coolant.

scopey86

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Swiftech radiators are pretty good, but if I were in your boat I'd consider going for the Alphacool Nexxxos UT60 360mm rad instead, it's probably among the, if not the best radiator series you can get right now. I'll be honest as long as I'm saying it lol the all swiftech threw me off too. I'd also reconsider your reservoir, maybe go with an XSPC dual bay reservoir that has a compartment for fitting that pump in. Like this one:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11219/ex-res-232/XSPC_Dual_525_Bay_Reservoir_-_Laing_D5_MCP655_w_Blue_LED_Light_-_Clear_Silver_Black.html

I just got one for myself recently and like it a lot.

bogo663

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012

I would grab that reservoir, but it is too big for where I plan to put it.

bogo663

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
All right, I think with all of the help from you guys, I have found a proper water cooling setup.
Products are as follows (once again hyper-linked in case you can not tell):
Swiftech Apogee HD High Performance 4-Port CPU Waterblock - White Apogee-HD-WT
Swiftech MCRES Micro Revision 2 Reservoir
Swiftech MCP655 - Liquid cooling system pump
Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper 480mm
PrimoFlex Pro LRT UV Blue Tubing -1/2in. ID X 3/4in. OD (10ft pack)
Bitspower BP-BSCPF-HFCC5 G3/8" Compression Fitting for ID 1/2" OD 3/4" Tube - Black Sparkle
X1 - UV Blue Coolant 1ltr

I found a case that can fit and hide a quad rad and the reservoir, but it is a little more money than I want to spend on a case. Anyone have a suggestion of a case that his a side panel window and can hide a quad rad easily? Here is the link for the case I found: SilverStone Temjin Series TJ07B-W-USB3.0 Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case

scopey86

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
No there aren't many cases out there that can house a quad radiator easily that are at a reasonable price range. Though it still seems redundant to have the X1 UV Blue Coolant and UV Blue tubing. I really think you should consider switching to Durelene or Masterkleer for your tubing, Mayhem's actually recommends Masterkleer.

As for a case maybe you should consider getting a switch 810 or a CM Cosmos II. I'd probably go with the Switch because it's cheaper. With it you can fit a slim profile 420mm radiator up top (such as an XSPC EX Rad, but it will require some drilling, or if you'd rather not you can get a Hardware Labs Slim 420mm rad and it'll fit in there without needing any drilling) and another 240mm radiator in the bottom of the case.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Why the Apogee and not a Raystorm, EK, Koolance or other block?

Swiftech isn't the best when it comes to blocks. Pumps yes, even though they use the same re-branded Laing pumps most others use.

I also own the MicroRes but don't currently use it. It's small, but kind of a pain considering the design of it.

Also- what's the deal with the 'coolant'? You don't need/want it.

scopey86

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011

You don't need watercooling either :kaola: lol.

10 feet is plenty, that's neough for just about any loop configuration in most pcs.

I'm also with rubix on the raystorm, I've never used/had experience with the apogee, but can personally vouch for the raystorm.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I'm just a water purist and really don't like the use of coolants if possible...there are a lot of different outcomes based on coolant used and personal operation and usage, so it's hard to gauge what's going to happen to that goop over the course of time.

bogo663

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
Yes! I wanted that watetblock because of the LEDs, but it was not recommended to me by anyone. So I will defiantly get the Raystorm. About the coolant, I thought I read that it is good to use coolant to prevent corrosion. Is water even better than coolant?

scopey86

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Like rubix said don't worry about corrosion unless your mixing aluminium and other metals. Again if you want to go for coolant, Mayhems Pastel or X1 or stick with distilled water. Water will always give you slightly better temps than any coolant though (a degree or two tops vs Mayhems I think tops).

bogo663

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
So I actually went and got a Switch 810 case instead. Here is a diagram of what I think I am going to do. Green means what I plan to do now, and blue means what I plan to do in the future. Red means tubing now, and purple means tubing later.

Switch-810-SE-Review_0004_DxO_zps02e3af9c.jpg

In case the diagram is to messy to understand:
Now setup:
-Reservoir in the harddrive bay send water to the 360mm rad up top
-the 360mm rad send water to the CPU block
-the CPU block send water to the pump
-pump sends water to reservoir

Future setup:
-water from reservoir to 360mm rad
-360mm rad to cpu block
-cpu block to pump
-pump to bottom mounted 240mm rad
-240mm rad to gtx 680
-gtx 680 to other gtx 680 via sli fitting
-gtx 680 to reservoir

Does the two setups sound good?
P.S. I am more concerned if the bow setup is right.

scopey86

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
You don't really want to put the pump above the radiator like that. In that setup I'd put it on top of the PSU maybe? Also the purple setup is not a good idea at all, you always want the pump to be right after the reservoir.