What Gates and Jobs Really Think of Each Other

Status
Not open for further replies.

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
I would have liked to see some more recent quotes from both of them. And they definitely paint Jobs as quite a jerk; I'm not thoroughly convinced yet, but I have my suspicions that he may very well be..

theblade

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
This would have been a great pic for a what are they saying contest!

Something like this:

Jobs: Have you seen the ipad, it's a striped down version of the iphone just this big.

Gates: I've seen your puny ipad, I can crush it with one hand!

Meh - I believe the reality is they've *both* copied each other over the years. Willingly or not; some ideas/features are good enough that they end up being deemed necessary in the eyes of the end users. At that point, you're forced to deliver or lose sales/share.

Regarding the banter itself: I would opine that Jobs has little to lose - and potentially a lot to gain in the eyes of his supporters and fence-sitters - by freely taking shots at Microsoft.

Bill Gates isn't quite as free to express an aggressive opinion in that area, as his comments (right or wrong) would inevitably be portrayed in the worst possible light. About the furthest he could go is to damn with faint praise.

Both men are clearly savvy enough to know this.

godwhomismike

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]zeuss[/nom]what happened to the caption of the week?This would have been a great picture for it.[/citation]

My Caption:

"AGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRR STEVE!!!!! WHY DO YOU ALWAYS HAVE TO BE SUCH A CONDESCENDING SMUG JERK?"

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Bill Gates has always been a gentleman. I've never liked Microsoft, or their products too much, but it's REALLY hard to dislike Bill Gates as a man.

Steve Jobs? Kind of easy. Always has been. If he thinks Apple makes first rate products, he needs a better view through the looking glass. They make expensive garbage. Always have.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
"There are very few things that are on the banned list in our household, but iPods and iPhones are two things we don't get for our kids."

Melinda Gates (2009)

don't forget Playstation as well...

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Well, gates has the look of the peaceful geek with good manors and who sits in his place, on the other side is jobs who looks more like the bully and the guy who can`t hear anybody over the sound of how awesome he is.

helldog3105

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
I don't blame them for banning the iPod, those headphones get dangerously loud, to the point of damaging people's hearing. The iPhone is just a phone using apples OS, what's the harm in it? I wouldn't be surprised about the Playstation being on that list though. Mrs. Gates seems like the kind of woman that would want to protect her children from violence and such. I find that to be an admirable trait by the way. I'm not trying to insult her in any way.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Jobs is just giving honest criticism. It's true. It's sad seeing some of you crying about this. Gates doesn't need to bitch about Apple because there's enough of it on sites like this.

830hobbes

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]Please try and keep your comments constructive.[/citation]
Jane, your articles are my favorite on Tom's. Keep it up!

greenbuck

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Put yourself in Steve's shoes. Here's a guy who always takes ideas from what you make, and turn it into something more successfull and become richer than you. Wouldn't despise that guy? Ofcourse you will. But that's just how the game is played. Everyone takes ideas from one another. So Steve should not hate. Bill overall is a nice guy. You've got to admire his philanthropy hobby. He's doing a lot of good to poor people in the world. Is Jobs doing any philanthropy? If he does I haven't heard about it.

jurassic1024

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
Just goes to prove that Steve Jobs is a stain in the industry.

Jobs' quotes are a huge waste of breath that does nothing to help anyone, except fill Jobs' pockets with cash from brain dead consumers (for the most part). This is the same reason I HATE HATE HATE any kind of fanboy, regardless of the product or service they stand behind. No one gives a f**k what you think is better, except weak minded people you are able to convert. It seems the word competition seems to be used intermittently among these same people... when it doesn't interfere with their fanboyism of course.

davendork

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Throwing my captions in the ring.
1) Steve: I have this much money. Bill: Well I have this much.
2) Steve: The iPad has a touchscreen this big. Bill: It's a big iPod rofl. *slaps knee*
3) Bill: Catch this ball. Steve: Right through my hands...

Status
Not open for further replies.