Question What happens if you uninstall processors from Device Manager ?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You have 1 cpu, 'central processing unit' which is made up of what you and others call cores. Technically, that's a generic used term for a Logical Processor. If you have a 6/6 cpu, you have 6 Logical processors. If you have a 6/12 cpu, you have 6 Logical Processors and 12 Virtual Processors. That's 6 cores, 12 threads.

You just disabled all the cores and now have no switch to turn them back on because that'd require at least 1 working core to make bios believe there's actually a cpu installed.

Try booting the pc, give it a second then pull the plug. Do that 3-4x. Hopefully the pc will revert back to last known stable boot or a safe boot.

Classy666

Commendable
Jul 22, 2021
You have 1 cpu, 'central processing unit' which is made up of what you and others call cores. Technically, that's a generic used term for a Logical Processor. If you have a 6/6 cpu, you have 6 Logical processors. If you have a 6/12 cpu, you have 6 Logical Processors and 12 Virtual Processors. That's 6 cores, 12 threads.

You just disabled all the cores and now have no switch to turn them back on because that'd require at least 1 working core to make bios believe there's actually a cpu installed.

Try booting the pc, give it a second then pull the plug. Do that 3-4x. Hopefully the pc will revert back to last known stable boot or a safe boot.
Holy shhh
I have just done what u said, i pulled the psu plug 4 times after turning on the pc, nothing happened, still turns on-fails to boot-restarts again (infinite loop)
Please do you know any other method to re enable my processor cores or get my cpu to be recognized again, any hardware method i can do?
Is swapping mobos can help?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Try pulling out all your drives, just the data cable is fine, or physically the m.2. And clear the cmos. A windows USB might help.

That switch is in the msconfig.ini file which sets up the boot conditions. If it's not there, hopefully the cleaned bios will revert the bootloader to normal. The USB might also override the boot commands.

Classy666

Commendable
Jul 22, 2021
Try pulling out all your drives, just the data cable is fine, or physically the m.2. And clear the cmos. A windows USB might help.

That switch is in the msconfig.ini file which sets up the boot conditions. If it's not there, hopefully the cleaned bios will revert the bootloader to normal. The USB might also override the boot commands.
I just tried, didn't work, i think i have to try with another mobo

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Don't think it's the mobo. I think it's the msconfig. That needs to be bypassed. Try booting while holding F8 or F2 or F12 or Delete or Shift keys, keep holding until something happens.

Might also boot if holding those buttons when usb stick is inserted. Just trying to get around that loop to something else, even a command prompt would work.

Holy shhh
I have just done what u said, i pulled the psu plug 4 times after turning on the pc, nothing happened, still turns on-fails to boot-restarts again (infinite loop)
Please do you know any other method to re enable my processor cores or get my cpu to be recognized again, any hardware method i can do?
Is swapping mobos can help?

Are you trying to boot into Windows or trying to see if the computer can boot period? If you can get into BIOS, then there's nothing wrong with the hardware itself.

For what it's worth, Windows itself cannot disable anything in hardware permanently.

Assuming it is software related to what Windows might do, including boot stages, then try unplugging the hard drive to get to the BIOS. With no hard drive (and no UEFI from that drive), if the CPU and motherboard are ok (you might need to reset the CMOS one more time with no drive), then you might get to BIOS (which would verify the issue is in software from the hard drive).

Classy666

Commendable
Jul 22, 2021
Assuming it is software related to what Windows might do, including boot stages, then try unplugging the hard drive to get to the BIOS. With no hard drive (and no UEFI from that drive), if the CPU and motherboard are ok (you might need to reset the CMOS one more time with no drive), then you might get to BIOS (which would verify the issue is in software from the hard drive).
I don't even get signal on the screen or keyboard
The kb doesn't even turn on

Since I instigated OP into doing what they were curious about, I went ahead and did this on one of my computers. Nothing actually happens. So the act of removing processors from Device Manager in Windows is unrelated to the issue OP is currently seeing, at least from my point of view.

If pressed I can upload a video showing this.

Normally my guess would be cpu not recognised, as he did uninstal it.
Should point out in my test, everything went back to normal after a reboot. I don't think there's any way for the OS to not "not recognize" a CPU, because either the CPU works or it doesn't and practically every CPU has a CPUID instruction anyway.

What was your original problem?
OP asked what would happen if you removed the processor from Device Manager. I did say to try it, but apparently something else went on with their system that they can't boot period.

I also did it but nothing happened to mine.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You don't have Aspergers. As a kid, I pulled Everything apart. And I mean everything lol. The curiosity would build and just drive me insane until I tore into things like a Mad Scientist.

Never with a plan, the only thing on the back end being I could put it back together again. Doesn't make it smart lol.

I don't even get signal on the screen or keyboard
The kb doesn't even turn on
It really does sound like something else went wrong at the same time as your test. I don't see how power would be "that dead" from software removed at the Windows side. It is conceivable that something done in software could actually destroy hardware, but it seems unlikely, and it could be a software-induced hardware failure, but I think you were just unlucky and something happened in hardware at the same moment as your test. Others have mentioned this, that it is likely other hardware at issue, e.g., power supply, and I think they are right.

Regardless of whatever you do in Windows, it absolutely will NOT affect anything that happens in BIOS land or before Window's boots. Something else is going on here.

To me, this is a situation where disassembly may be required; I'd pull out any and all Hard Drives, pull the CMOS, and manually reconnect everything. If still no output, then I'd pull the RAM just to see if you can get POST to fail. [If not, then the motherboard went kaput]