Question What Hardware in My PC is Outdated?

beauthegamer

Reputable
Mar 29, 2016
I honestly think that the problem is my graphics card because I'm not able to run Fortnite well on my computer, especially with good graphics. Someone please help me figure this out!
MY PC'S SPECS:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM: 32.0 GB
System type: 64-bit operating system,
x64-based processor
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
Version of Windows: Windows 10 Home

Most likely the GeForce GTX 960 GPU, though I won't call it outdated. It's an older GEN GPU. The same goes with the CPU as well, the Sandy Bridge. But I don't think this is a very weak CPU, if your main goal is to play Fortnite, PUBG, and other similar titles.

Upgrading your GPU might help though....Some games are GPU-bound, whereas others rely mostly on a powerful processor.

EDIT: Are you on a 1080p screen ?

Last edited:

beauthegamer

Reputable
Mar 29, 2016
Most likely the GeForce GTX 960 GPU, though I won't call it outdated. It's an older GEN GPU. The same goes with the CPU as well, the Sandy Bridge. But I don't think this is a very weak CPU, if your main goal is to play Fortnite, PUBG, and other similar titles.

Upgrading your GPU might help though....Some games are GPU-bound, whereas others rely mostly on a powerful processor.

So upgrading my graphics card is all that I need to do? Sorry if I sound dumb. I don't know a lot about computers.

beauthegamer

Reputable
Mar 29, 2016

My monitor is an ACER S271HL.

beauthegamer

Reputable
Mar 29, 2016
Yes, if you upgrade your current GPU, then this definitely should help you with performance, in most of the games, if not all, at least in my opinion. Are you willing to upgrade your GPU now ? If yes, then specify your budget, and the currency in which you would be making the payment.
I was thinking a few hundred dollars for a new GPU, if that can fix my problem with not being able to have good graphics like I desire when it comes to Fortnite, and future video games in general. What would you do? Would you just upgrade the GPU, or would you get a whole new PC? I need to know what is right for me, because I don't want to have to worry about it later on, in the long run, for a while.

May 4, 2019
I was thinking a few hundred dollars for a new GPU, if that can fix my problem with not being able to have good graphics like I desire when it comes to Fortnite, and future video games in general. What would you do? Would you just upgrade the GPU, or would you get a whole new PC? I need to know what is right for me, because I don't want to have to worry about it later on, in the long run, for a while.
Get GTX 1660 ti or RTX 2060

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Hello friend,

There is little point in getting a whole new PC just to play some selected few Games, or otherwise. Just upgrade the GPU, either the RTX 2060 or the GTX 1660 Ti, or even an RX 580. Your current CPU isn't that much weak either, it is just based on older gen architecture, but performance is still okay. You can pair it with either the GTX 1660 Ti, or the RTX 2060. I'm still using a 4'th GEN CPU, the i7 4790.

https://www.gpucheck.com/gpu/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1660-ti/intel-core-i7-3930k-3-20ghz/

https://www.gpucheck.com/gpu/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060/intel-core-i7-3930k-3-20ghz/

https://www.gpucheck.com/gpu/amd-radeon-rx-580/intel-core-i7-3930k-3-20ghz/

I honestly think that the problem is my graphics card because I'm not able to run Fortnite well on my computer, especially with good graphics. Someone please help me figure this out!
MY PC'S SPECS:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM: 32.0 GB
System type: 64-bit operating system,
x64-based processor
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
Version of Windows: Windows 10 Home

For under $200 a Radeon 580 would give you about 50-60% more performance than your 960 for just the video card performance. So if your get 40fps now, a 580 should get you to 60 and smooth out any dips in FPS, so lowest you get will be higher so will feel smoother. For another $100 over a RX 580 you can get a 1660Ti. That would be about 30% faster than a 580. For a 1080 60hz screen, the RX 580 is in the sweet spot of speed vs cost, especially when matched with your CPU. If you are OK with the cost of the faster card, you will be able to move it to a faster system down the line, or use higher settings and smoother play, but an RX 580 is still good for you.

You can tell right now what you need. Use a tool like MSI Afterburner to monitor your CPU and GPU use while you play. I bet right now Fortnite is pushing your 960 to 100% load, or close to it while your CPU load isn't anywhere near as high. That would mean all you need is a better videocard. The 960 is roughly equivalent to a 1050 Ti level of card, so you'd need more than that. How much more depends on how high of a framerate you want and how high you expect to be able to crank up the settings.

I think the 1660 Ti is 'worth it' because it's a substantial jump up from the 1060 or AMD 580/590 cards in most cases. It will also be a better value if you think you might move up to 1440p in the not too distant future. Otherwise, you might consider saving some money and getting a 1080p oriented card like a 1060 or 580. That's all you need for Fortnite at 1080p and it will be a big jump in performance over your 960.