What if the Pentium 4 was recalled.

G

What if the Pentium 4 was recalled? What do you think would happen?

I think it would be recalled because of it many chipset and cpu problems. If it was recalled, I think that the major pushers of the P4 will lose big time. Investors would lose confidence in Intel, causing their stock price to dip to all time lows. Customers would see this as problematic, and would start buying AMD. The major manufacturers would put Athlons in their performance PCs (And not their mid-level systems), and put Duron in their mid-level and low-level PCs. And forced by the shift of the industries direction, Dell will have to start selling Athlon systems .

And for those people who hate high memory prices, Rambus will lose it's only hope to get back up $400/share stock prices, therefore it will probably file bankruptcy.

That's my prediction if the P4 was recalled. Do you think it would be recalled, and what do you think would happen if it was?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Unlikely that it would be recalled. Intel can't afford another recall right now, and will continue to provide SOFTWARE solutions to HARDWARE problems until the next version is released.

G

I have to agree with Crashman. In fact, I would go one step further, I would say you would sooner see the dead rise from their graves to devour the living than you would see Intel be foolish enough to recall the P4.

Also I think this issue about the 850 chipset bug with PCI bandwidths and dual-head displays is really stretching to find a bug. I agree with Intel's move to release the P4 anyway. Logic would dictate that anyone using P4s and dual monitors is going to have a dual-head AGP video card. So the possibility of that bug actually rearing its ugly head in a normal work or home environment (where noone is trying to make it do so for testing purposes) seams very remote.

Unfortuneately, a lot of AMD fans (and I am one of them) have forgotten the basic principles of competition. We are graced with super fast processors at very low prices today because AMD was finally able to step up to the plate and give Intel a run for its money. But if Intel were to some how fall apart tomorrow from all this then AMD would be left alone unchallenged in the processor market. This would be terrible for all us consumers because AMD would do exactly what Intel did when it was there. AMD would stop ramping speeds up so fast and it would raise its prices through the roof. The smart consumer realizes that the more competition there is out there for his/her business the cheaper and better products will be.

I hope someday quality processor companies are as plentiful as automobile manufacturers. Then it wont be like choosing between Democrat and Republican!

<b><i>MK</i></b>

G

The P4 will move to .13 mircon and 468-pin PGA (the Northwood edtn.) next year anyway. This will give Intel a chance to iron out any bugs in their new stepping. The small number of P4s shipped until then is unlikely to cause too many problems if something bad happens, because Intel do not want to make the P4 mainstream for a long time yet.

G

"Unfortuneately, a lot of AMD fans (and I am one of them) have forgotten the basic principles of competition. We are graced with super fast processors at very low prices today because AMD was finally able to step up to the plate and give Intel a run for its money. But if Intel were to some how fall apart tomorrow from all this then AMD would be left alone unchallenged in the processor market"

Please!!! That is more than a bit premature. Even if Intel were to recall the P4, Amd chips ASP would remain relatively the same. Post the same message end of 2002 when AMD is selling out of every chip they make and due to market pressures(supply-demand) ASPs go up.

BOO HOO lets all feel sorry for big intel. PLEASE!!!!