May 22, 2020
I'm just about to start my first build and I am using a 3200 g mostly as a cost saver until I can afford a GPU. I was looking at the MSI RX 580 Armor 8gb OC but I'm very very open to suggestions. Any thoughts?

I also plan on upgrading my motherboard and CPU down the line at some point so it'd be cool to have a GPU that could function well with the 3200 I currently have as well as maybe a Ryzen 5 3600. Thanks in advance

Solution
The low-mid range is a bit of a messy category for video cards.

The 1660 Super and 1660Ti pretty much perform about the same. If you're choosing one of those, go with whichever one is cheaper. There's no point in paying extra for a 1660Ti.

The 1660 and 1660 Super are priced about the same. There's almost no point in getting a 1660 non-Super unless it's steeply discounted.

The RX 5500 XT 8GB is just a bit under the 1660 in performance, thus making the 5500 XT 8GB worth considering, depending on pricing.

If you're starting to push up into the mid-to-upper $200 price range, then it might be worth considering the RX 5600 XT, which outperforms the 1660Ti, and really is about on par with the 2060 in terms of performance.

I guess I...
What PSU do you have? Im in a similar situation. I bought the 3400G when I first built my PC and was on a tight budget, I wasnt really into gaming and it ran really well for everything else i needed it for. Few months later I had the funds for a GPU and bought a RX 570, just to play a little PUBG and it runs really well. Next upgrade I think will be to get the Ryzen 3600 too. But as mentioned, what GPU you buy is dependent on your power supply.

Reactions: Shaunk1224
May 22, 2020
What PSU do you have? Im in a similar situation. I bought the 3400G when I first built my PC and was on a tight budget, I wasnt really into gaming and it ran really well for everything else i needed it for. Few months later I had the funds for a GPU and bought a RX 570, just to play a little PUBG and it runs really well. Next upgrade I think will be to get the Ryzen 3600 too. But as mentioned, what GPU you buy is dependent on your power supply.

Thanks! I have an 80 plus gold 500w which seems to be just enough for most of the GPUs I've looked at so far, so it will probably be something I upgrade in the future as well.

Reactions: kurdtnz

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

The 1660 Super and 1660Ti pretty much perform about the same. If you're choosing one of those, go with whichever one is cheaper. There's no point in paying extra for a 1660Ti.

The 1660 and 1660 Super are priced about the same. There's almost no point in getting a 1660 non-Super unless it's steeply discounted.

The RX 5500 XT 8GB is just a bit under the 1660 in performance, thus making the 5500 XT 8GB worth considering, depending on pricing.

If you're starting to push up into the mid-to-upper $200 price range, then it might be worth considering the RX 5600 XT, which outperforms the 1660Ti, and really is about on par with the 2060 in terms of performance.

I guess I should probably ask what your budget it/what you're looking to spend.

Solution
May 22, 2020

I guess I should probably ask what your budget it/what you're looking to spend.
This was extremely helpful, thank you! I'm probably somewhere between $150 and $250 range. I'm a little flexible though if it's super worth it for a few extra bucks.