Question What is limiting my computer's in-game performance ?

Mar 27, 2023
I want to know what is limiting the performance on my PC and stuttering the games...
I had GT 1030 + I5 7400, Upgraded GPU to RTX 2060 6GB (non super) and CPU R5 5600 (Underclocked to 4,10Ghz and Undervolt to -0.114 because it easily gets hot 90ºC with Wraith Stealth). The undervolt first I tested with -0.144 but OCCT showed many errors and then I just set to -0.114
I have 16GB ram 2400mhz, PSU 600w. Yesterday I updated the BIOS to the latest version Chipset B450.
I do not have SSD... I use HDD this could be the reason? if it is, it's strange because a friend also plays using HDD but it doesn't stutter like the games I tested.

The games I test stutters a lot, I thought it was Windows because I was using the same OS without formatting as when I had i5 and gt 1030.. so I did a full format and installed Windows 11 Pro, its very clean just a few games and Drivers installed but still the games stutter a lot..
The only game that I tested and can play smooth without even a single stutter is RDR2 on High Preset with some options on medium and locked to 60FPS.
Testing the Open Beta of Diablo 4 on High quality 1080p + DLSS is a stuttering fest. I watched a benchmark on YT on High 1080p and DLSS.. 130FPS and no stuttering:
View: https://youtu.be/FulOqTE-UHg?t=328

it makes me sad because when I was using GT 1030 + i5 7400 I could play games with bad graphics and resolution of cource but no stutter EVEN when I use textures on high with VRAM on limit...

Mar 27, 2023
If Task Manager is showing a lot of storage activity from the game, then yes, it's likely that it's causing stuttering. Though you could also check if there's just a lot of HDD activity in general.
I checked it using MSI Afterburner + HWInfo plugin. When it stutter the HDD is not even near 50~60%

Rathnhake

Reputable
Jan 8, 2020
Both the drive (not being able to load up in time) and the RAM (data transfer per second matters below a certain threshold) . Also don't take others results for granted, HDD's results vary greatly between rigs (especially passed a certain time).

Reactions: Rigel864
Mar 27, 2023
My first thought is the combination of a HDD and very slow RAM which will hurt performance. However, run userbenchmark and share the public link to the results.
Sorry delay, here is the bench link: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/60388318

I didn't understand how to bench the GPU on the tool.. The momentum HDD I Just use for light games and is from a old laptop, all the tests in heavy games are installed and made on the Barracuda. The RAM is from Crucial, the model I use is Crucial Ballistix 1x8 2666mhz and 2x4 2444mhz... Thinking about it now it can be because of the RAM, I must upgrade it ASAP!!

Edit: GPU from MSI. RTX 2060 6GB OC Ventus

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2023
Both the drive (not being able to load up in time) and the RAM (data transfer per second matters below a certain threshold) . Also don't take others results for granted, HDD's results vary greatly between rigs (especially passed a certain time).
Yes can vary, my friend is using the same CPU as mine paired with the beast 4080 and 32gb ram.. haha

Sorry delay, here is the bench link: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/60388318

I didn't understand how to bench the GPU on the tool.. The momentum HDD I Just use for light games and is from a old laptop, all the tests in heavy games are installed and made on the Barracuda. The RAM is from Crucial, the model I use is Crucial Ballistix 1x8 2666mhz and 2x4 2444mhz... Thinking about it now it can be because of the RAM, I must upgrade it ASAP!!

Edit: GPU from MSI. RTX 2060 6GB OC Ventus
Get a 2x8/16GB kit of ram 3200/3600 speed.
Test that and see what the results are.

Reactions: Rigel864
Mar 27, 2023
Results are great it was really the RAM sticks... games that used to have a lot stutter no longer do. In certain games there are still micro stutter but I suspect it's the HDD and better setting the graphics quality in games.

Jun 16, 2023
Results are great it was really the RAM sticks... games that used to have a lot stutter no longer do. In certain games there are still micro stutter but I suspect it's the HDD and better setting the graphics quality in games.
You are just install the ram? Without xmp profile in bios?