What is the best bluray player software for pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

green gaint

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Dear friends

I build a HTPC just a few months ago. I what to connect it to my new 50" plamsa, and play top quality bluray. I have the DVI to HDMI adapter and top qualtiy HDMI cable (Rocketfish). I am using the free trail version of Power DVD 9 to play the DVD. It seem that is not 1080p qualtiy.

I don't know if the software is that good enough or if it is my bluray drive installed in the computer?

I have a friend that is bringing over is PS3 to test the TV just to make sure that not the problem
I know the computer will handle this kind of materiel.

Any input would be excellent

Samsung 550 series
AMD X2 7850--OC 3.2GHZ
Arctic cooling Frezzer 64
Asus M3A78-T
G.Skill 2x2gb 1066
Asus Radeon 4850
Coolmaster 500w
Seagate 500Gb
Antec 900 case
Arctic cooling Frezzer 64
Windows XP
Liteon Bluray drive 1673s

leon2006

Distinguished
PowerDVD is the most reliable software today. It has better feature compare to other software available in the market. It also has the best track record dating back from DVD playback software.

General guideline in using PC-Base Blue-Ray Player(i.e PowerDVD).

1) These software companies are behind(Most of the time) with video card driver and hardware releases. Always take that into account and that's the main reason why Web-base downloads (updates) don't fix the problem.

2) In reference to item 1) if you are to use free software that came up with your Blue-Ray drive use the tech support (mostly via email) to get an update or patch for your software. The process is slow but it will address your problem. Your patience will be tested since email base tech support is very slow.

3) For Web Base download or updates Know the version and type of your Playback software before you download. There are different downloads for full blown version, and version shipped with Blue-Ray Drives.

3) NEW MOVIE RELEASE NEED UPDATES:
Don't be surprise if BLUE-RAY STAR-TREK(when it come out) don't play on a PC that play SPIDERMAN-3 Blue Ray Disc.

New Blue-Ray disc may require new updates. No audio, video-skips, or no plain NO-PLAY without any error messages are common signs of "UPDATES REQUIRED".
STAND ALONE PLAYER GET FIRMWARE UPDATE:
This is true for even for STAND-ALONE Blue Ray Player. Its called 'Firm-Ware Update".

The main reason behind is updates on the security codes for new movies and software udpates for HDCP.

TullyBascombe

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
I'm not so keen on CyberLink. I installed an LG player in my computer 3 weeks ago, it played DVDs and Blue rays fine until a week ago, then it stopped playing Blue rays. It would freeze within seconds of beginning playback. There was nothing on the packaging or in the manual stating that the software was a trial period, there was no notice stating that I was required to purchase an upgrade or an activation key. I've tried to contact Cyberlink tech support about the problem, but I can't register on their support page, one of the boxes for entering personal data is broken. The real clincher is this: if I want to call their tech support I'd have to pay $25 up front.

It appears to me that the Cyberlink software that came with my LG player is probably a "trail version", the fact that it no longer plays blue ray discs was probably intentional. Shelling out an additional $49 might fix the problem, but I'D like actual verification of that fact from their tech support people, and also I'm reluctant to pay any more money to a company that can't maintain their web support page. Furthermore I don't like the fact that they would charge me to call them for help fixing problems that might be their fault.

Intervideo makes blue ray playing software. I'm thinking of buying from them.

leon2006

Distinguished
Your software need a patch or update for it to work again. Its a reality of all Blue Ray Playback software. New movies come out with updated HDCP software and it needs to keep track of HDCP compliant hardware and software.

The paid phone tech support is one of the unfortunate reality in PC BD Playback software. It is not isolated to Cyberlink.

Corel (Intervideo)Phone tech support is ($15 per call)...
http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Content/1211295787104

Arcsoft Technical Support ($10 per call).
http://www.arcsoft.com/public/content_page.asp?pageID=82

You can open the specification pages for the BD-Playback software and make a detailed comparison for each company that make BD-Playback software. You can decide for yourself which product will meet your need.

Read the tech forums on each vendor and independent HW/SW forums. Real-world tech issues are discussed on these forums and real-world solutions are shared.

TullyBascombe

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
I am aware that thanks to the psychos at the MPAA we're forced to get periodic updates to the programs that allow us to play copy-protected blu-ray movies. However, I don't seem to be able to get an update for the software that came with my blu-ray player, and I can't get in to the tech forum at cyberlink because the registration page won't let me enter my birthdate - and yes, I tried it with numlock on and off. I don't think the problem I'm having with my player is a firmware update issue - it was playing blu rays manufactured in 2008 before and now it won't. My guess is that the problem is that the software was designed to stop working for blu-ray discs 2 weeks after installation, though I can't rule out a failure of the player itself. I can't be certain without talking to their tech support, but I can't talk to their tech support.

Nice specs don't mean a thing if it doesn't work.

Furthermore not all phone support for the other companies is paid for, they allow free calls for some issues.

Once again, I can't read their tech support forum because they won't let me register.

leon2006

Distinguished
Tech support is really bad.... My experience with Cyberlink is work with them through EMAIL.... I swap emails with cyberlink tech support and it took care of my problem. As on my earlier post it will test your patience.

The software that came with the drive is not designed to stop at a specified period. In most cases the software that comes with the drive is already obsolete by the time they package product. This is what exactly happen to me. I got my Blue Ray Drive just when 8800GT came out. My LG drive was new to the market at that time.

I started with the 7.3 version that came with my drive. I put the effort to make it work before i decided to purchase a full version. The starter that came with my LG drive works after tech-support sent me patch to address my problem.

By the way did you run the Cyberlink BD Advisor?

I'm using a 7.3 full version and have no issues with it.

You can try to other software....Its your choice

Good Luck

TullyBascombe

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
I've learned from experience that when a blu-ray player freezes at the previews, at the main menu, or at the introduction it generally means that it needs what is usually called a "firmware" update - at least that is the term used for the free standing players, so I understand what I need to get my player running.

I too have PowerDVD version 7.3 installed. It has auto-update installed and has received at least one update, but that didn't fix the problem. Remember, it had been playing blu rays fine previously. The titles that ran OK were "Tears of the Sun" and "Miracle at St Anna." The titles that didn't run were "Slumdog Millionarie" and "Torchwood - Children of the Earth". I thought that perhaps the later two titles were newer than the other two, so perhaps they had newer security programs. Yesterday i rented an older title "The Bourne Identity", but it won't run either. I suppose it might be a newer copy though.

I have not entered an activation key - there wasn't one with it and I wasn't directed to do so, nor have I bought an upgrade. If that is what will be required in order to get the player running again then I truly wish that CyberLink and LG had been more open about it. Nowhere in the packaging or in the manual are the words"Trial version" or "demo" to be found.

Anyway I was finally able to leave a message for cyberlink tech support. Evidently it takes several days for the registration process to be completed. I don't understand that, on most websites registration is virtually instantaneous.

TullyBascombe

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
I finally got a working version of cyberlink power suite. Tech support form cyberlink had me download and install a different "build" of Cyberlink power suite with Power DVD 7.3. They're blaming it all on a faulty patch, but now they're warning me not to use the auto-update function because it might re-install the faulty patch.

Jetta4TDI_R

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010

I would really appreciate it if you could post the URL path to this patch as i have been waiting for more then 3 weeks to get a reply and i have the same software from the same BD player so i would really like to get my stuff playing again

madwheels

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
Well,after trail and error I finally got the right info on playing blu-ray?Yes and it only has taking two years of not listening,to find out the truth about how to get it done.Forget about Cyberlink,one of the biggest rip off's of programs you can get involved with.The solution works out like this,Get yourself two high grade display cards of the 2 hundred series or higher and play all the high end DVD,Blu-ray and then some with no more worries.That it,since I put in two XFX 260GTX Cards,I've got nothing to say but wow.My DVD's,Blu-ray's haven't missed a beat.I hate all the BS about CyBERLINK,you think they're they the only ones on this planet that can give you what you really need,and to pull you in for a$100.00 a year,you've got to be nuts or just have money to burn. later guys
oh,just in some cases you will need a third party progrm,but not for $30 or $40,just might be for free,chechout cnet.com

green gaint

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
The power dvd 7.3 that came with the drive is working fine. play high quality blu-rays just fine w/o any lag, but sometime it doesn't play the new release blu-rays, why?. Is there any other software that doesn't need the downloaded updates, ie just purchase and play?

leon2006

Distinguished
Updates will always be required to keep the software current with:
1) New Hardware Releases
2) New GPU driver Releases
3) Updates on the HDCP security software

Even the stand alone (Blue Ray) player requie updates from time to time.

Cyberlink tech support should help you out to enable your 7.3 to play new discs

G

Actually his software probably IS a trial. I bought a LITE-ON BD drive from newegg, and in 2 weeks the software said "unsupported format" when I inserted BDs that previously worked. I had before that updated it several times to stay current to keep the BDs working. The drive DID come with a trial version, in the options there is a place to enter a serial key, but it didn't come with a serial. You have to purchase the program off the web site.

Status
Not open for further replies.