[SOLVED] What is the best budget replacement for my gtx 760 1.5gb?

eotrus

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015
My PC came equipped with an i7 4790 and GTX 760 1.5gb, 12gb ram and I believe 500 watts power supply. I have a budget of around $150-180 and was wondering whats the best replacement for it to play games at 1080p. I don't care about running every game at ultra/high settings and neither do I play AAA titles. Just looking for something that could handle most games at average settings and be smooth.

Solution
I don't care about running every game at ultra/high settings and neither do I play AAA titles.

Given that statement, while the RX580 is a good choice, currently the 4GB RX 570 is available starting at $129.99, though I've seen some models go occasionally as low as $119.99. I'd say it's worth considering for its "bang for the buck" factor.

It still outperforms the GTX 1650, while costing notably less than it.

In either case, here's a list of RX 570 and RX 580 cards, sorted by price.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=392,391&sort=price&page=1

eotrus

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015
Last edited:

AshMetalRaf

Reputable
Sep 19, 2018
have you experienced any issues with software as I keep hearing thats the issue with AMD cards?
I have been using it for 2 weeks now, so far i have not ran into any problem. temperature is 26c at idle and 47c-59c under load which is decent temp. I overclocked it and it still at 28c at idle. the one thing that was odd to me is when i first bought it, upon replacing my old GTX with RX580, the PC didn't boot until i change from UEFI to Legacy mode in BIOS.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I don't care about running every game at ultra/high settings and neither do I play AAA titles.

Given that statement, while the RX580 is a good choice, currently the 4GB RX 570 is available starting at $129.99, though I've seen some models go occasionally as low as $119.99. I'd say it's worth considering for its "bang for the buck" factor.

Solution

eotrus

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015

The only thing that's stopping me from considering the rx 570/580 is their power consumption. If I decide to get either I will most likely have to consider spending another ~70 bucks on a PSU, unless a 500w will the job?

The only thing that's stopping me from considering the rx 570/580 is their power consumption. If I decide to get either I will most likely have to consider spending another ~70 bucks on a PSU, unless a 500w will the job?

the issue you have is your stuck with that power supply after doing some deep searching it uses a unique pin for the cpu motherboard a 12 pin

other issue as far as i can tell it only has 2x 6 pin connectors for external power

i found a card that has this 6 pin connector

your old card needed only one

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-radeo...&ranSiteID=8BacdVP0GFs-7p2M0ghA_fXufNNRZSjjhQ

or 8gb model

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-radeo...&ranSiteID=8BacdVP0GFs-h46XMqdC4vTnDv2n3XeGpQ

either of these cards will work fine just remember to uninstall the nvidia drivers before installing the card or you will get horrendous issues lol

Last edited:

eotrus

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015
the issue you have is your stuck with that power supply after doing some deep searching it uses a unique pin for the cpu motherboard a 12 pin

other issue as far as i can tell it only has 2x 6 pin connectors for external power
so what do you think are my options? are there GPUs with those pins? or should I just go for a gtx 1650? the Zotac model doesn't require an external power connector and its small form. I know that compared to rx 580 the performance is lacking, but doesn't seem too bad

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

We'd need either an exact brand and model number of that PSU, or a clear photo of the specifications label, to be certain. The amount of power (500W) is sufficient, but some 500W PSUs are great, some are terrible.

@beyondlogic points out that it has 2 6-pin connectors. (side note: I couldn't find any info on it, where did you find the PSU info?) If you do get a card with a single 6-pin or dual 6-pin, you're fine. If you get a card with a single 8-pin, you will also be good, but you have to get a dual-6-pin to single-8-pin adapter. This is safe because the 6-pin connectors are meant for a maximum of 75W each, and the 8-pin is meant for a maximum of 150W.

I'm a little hesitant on the ASRock cards, though, as their coolers tend to require the fans to spin up faster. The XFX model that runs $129.99 has a single 8-pin connector.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/tF648d/xfx-radeon-rx-570-4gb-rs-xxx-video-card-rx-570p427d6

Still, we need to get the details from your PSU to be absolutely sure that it will handle it.

We'd need either an exact brand and model number of that PSU, or a clear photo of the specifications label, to be certain. The amount of power (500W) is sufficient, but some 500W PSUs are great, some are terrible.

@beyondlogic points out that it has 2 6-pin connectors. (side note: I couldn't find any info on it, where did you find the PSU info?) If you do get a card with a single 6-pin or dual 6-pin, you're fine. If you get a card with a single 8-pin, you will also be good, but you have to get a dual-6-pin to single-8-pin adapter. This is safe because the 6-pin connectors are meant for a maximum of 75W each, and the 8-pin is meant for a maximum of 150W.

I'm a little hesitant on the ASRock cards, though, as their coolers tend to require the fans to spin up faster. The XFX model that runs $129.99 has a single 8-pin connector.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/tF648d/xfx-radeon-rx-570-4gb-rs-xxx-video-card-rx-570p427d6

Still, we need to get the details from your PSU to be absolutely sure that it will handle it.

very deep digging

this is the motherboard

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/lpMAAOSwffNdOb~N/s-l1600.jpg

and here is the psu in question in this forum post from 2017

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/upgrading-gpu-to-a-1060-gtx-palit.2940077/

personally would use the same 6 pin connector of the 760 as since this is a triple rail psu on the 12v

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Good catch on finding that!

I'm not sure the triple rail issue would be that big of a deal, though. Given that the RX 570 will be roughly a 150W card regardless of which model (not counting the seriously overclocked ones), given that the PSU provides two 6-pin connectors, I think using an adapter to make them a single 8-pin shouldn't give any trouble. The PSU was made with the idea of being able to push 150W through those wires. The RX 570 is going to take some of its power from the PCIe slot, so it won't even approach the limit of what the PCIe connectors can provide.

I say all that, but I have to give the disclaimer that I am not a PSU expert - I just know what I've gleaned from others on this forum who know way better than I do, combined with making educated guesses.

Good catch on finding that!

I'm not sure the triple rail issue would be that big of a deal, though. Given that the RX 570 will be roughly a 150W card regardless of which model (not counting the seriously overclocked ones), given that the PSU provides two 6-pin connectors, I think using an adapter to make them a single 8-pin shouldn't give any trouble. The PSU was made with the idea of being able to push 150W through those wires. The RX 570 is going to take some of its power from the PCIe slot, so it won't even approach the limit of what the PCIe connectors can provide.

I say all that, but I have to give the disclaimer that I am not a PSU expert - I just know what I've gleaned from others on this forum who know way better than I do, combined with making educated guesses.

the triple rail issue can be a problem due to rail systems tend to spread out for example

cpu cable and motherboard cable to the board on one rail
and the rest on the second rail

here we have a game of guess which rail uses what and theres 3 lol.

for example it was a few years ago mind i had a be quiet modular unit that had 2 rails but one of the pci 6 pins was connected to the opposite rail remember reading it on a review this was around when the fx series was new lol

( i tried to find adapter for merging the 2 together.)

is there such a thing as a 6+6 to 8 pin lol