techflame700

Commendable
Nov 30, 2018
I am currently planning upgrades to my system and part of that includes an upgrade to 1440p @ 144Hz from 1080p @ 60Hz. I realize my current RTX 2060 won’t be able to keep up with that, so I also plan to upgrade my GPU. However, I don’t really know which GPU to get since I don’t want to throw money at a GPU for it only to be limited by my 7700K. So, what is the fastest GPU I can pair with my 7700K before bottlenecking nullifies the gains of a more expensive GPU? Thanks!

System Specs
CPU: Intel i7 7700K
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270XP SLI
SSD: Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB
RAM: 32 GB 4 X 8 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400 MHz
PSU: Corsair RM650X

Solution
There's no such thing as a flat case bottleneck. It cannot exist as such because there's too many variables.

Linus played cyberpunk at 1440p, full DLSS, ultra settings, RTX wide open on a 3090, and barely got 60fps. At that rate, even a i5 4690k would have worked and got the same fps.

Fps is a measure of CPU power. Eye candy is a measure of GPU power.

So what is the fastest gpu paired with a 7700k at 1440p? 3090 or Titan.

Because everything eye candy depends on your style of play, games graphical complexity, the settings you use, the extras like RTX etc. and fps is determined by the cpu and has no bearing on resolution. If a cpu can put out 60fps or 150fps, it doesn't matter if it's 720p or 4k. You get 60fps or 150fps. Then it's...

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
A bottleneck isnt necessarily a bad thing.
At a time like this I wouldnt limit myself too much. A good GPU at a fair price is most important.
I dont see any reason not to try for an RTX 3080- or RX 6800XT it thats in your budget and you find them at at a price you are comfortable with.
What Im sating is I think you will still see fps gains from a 3070 to 3080 just not as much gains if you had an intel I9 series or AMD Ryzen 5900x

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's no such thing as a flat case bottleneck. It cannot exist as such because there's too many variables.

Linus played cyberpunk at 1440p, full DLSS, ultra settings, RTX wide open on a 3090, and barely got 60fps. At that rate, even a i5 4690k would have worked and got the same fps.

Because everything eye candy depends on your style of play, games graphical complexity, the settings you use, the extras like RTX etc. and fps is determined by the cpu and has no bearing on resolution. If a cpu can put out 60fps or 150fps, it doesn't matter if it's 720p or 4k. You get 60fps or 150fps. Then it's upto the gpu and it's details whether or not it can live upto that level or fail. It cannot surpass it, since a gpu cannot physically output more fps than its given.

Simply put, the fastest gpu you can get is simply the best you can afford and whichever one you actually Can get. Passing up on buying a 3070 because you feel you need a 3080 is a foolish thing to do.

Best gpu for you would be a 6800XT. Slightly older and less powerful cpus show better gains in fps output with a Radeon gpu than with an overpowered nvidia card. It has to do with nvidia driver limitations.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JLEIJhunaW8

Last edited:
Reactions: Bassman999
Solution

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021

Because everything eye candy depends on your style of play, games graphical complexity, the settings you use, the extras like RTX etc. and fps is determined by the cpu and has no bearing on resolution. If a cpu can put out 60fps or 150fps, it doesn't matter if it's 720p or 4k. You get 60fps or 150fps. Then it's upto the gpu and it's details whether or not it can live upto that level or fail. It cannot surpass it, since a gpu cannot physically output more fps than its given.

Simply put, the fastest gpu you can get is simply the best you can afford and whichever one you actually Can get. Passing up on buying a 3070 because you feel you need a 3080 is a foolish thing to do.

Best gpu for you would be a 6800XT. Slightly older and less powerful cpus show better gains in fps output with a Radeon gpu than with an overpowered nvidia card. It has to do with nvidia driver limitations.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JLEIJhunaW8
Yes I saw a video with testing done where older generation CPUs and Nvidia had problems at higher resolutions