[SOLVED] What is this Custom Gaming PC worth?

connorman01

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2016
Hi guys I really need some help. I am trying to sell my gaming PC that I have had for a few years on Facebook and craigs list so that I can build a new one. I feel like I am asking a fair price of $800 for this (Specs below) but I keep getting people on facebook who "build PC's every day" telling me its worth $200 or $400 max and how im stupid for asking that much. I know that is total bull but I have been out of the loop for awhile in terms of PC culture and maybe I'm asking too much?

I made a PC part picker list for the retail value of my components OR their current gen equivalents (I know AMD stuff is cheaper but I'm not selling AMD stuff). https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZJNjn7 . I made that list just to give people an idea of the retail value of the PC which is $1200. then given time and use i thought $800 was a fair price. I know tons of you guys know more than me about this stuff so please give me your input.

Specs:
-GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB
-CPU: Intel i7 4790k
-PSU: EVGA Gold rated 850 W
-RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) 2400 MHz
-Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper H6
-Tower: Azza XT-1 B ATX Full Tower Case
-CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
-Storage: 1 TB Hard drive, 500 GB SSD

Solution
Hi guys I really need some help. I am trying to sell my gaming PC that I have had for a few years on Facebook and craigs list so that I can build a new one. I feel like I am asking a fair price of $800 for this (Specs below) but I keep getting people on facebook who "build PC's every day" telling me its worth $200 or $400 max and how im stupid for asking that much. I know that is total bull but I have been out of the loop for awhile in terms of PC culture and maybe I'm asking too much?

I made a PC part picker list for the retail value of my components OR their current gen equivalents (I know AMD stuff is cheaper but I'm not selling AMD stuff). https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZJNjn7 . I made that list just to give people an idea...

johnsoner13

Respectable

I made a PC part picker list for the retail value of my components OR their current gen equivalents (I know AMD stuff is cheaper but I'm not selling AMD stuff). https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZJNjn7 . I made that list just to give people an idea of the retail value of the PC which is $1200. then given time and use i thought $800 was a fair price. I know tons of you guys know more than me about this stuff so please give me your input.

Specs:
Considering the fact that you can build a PC with NEW parts that significantly outperforms this PC for around the same price range, $800 is too much of an asking price unless you can find someone who’s computer illiterate/gullible and don’t know what they’re buying. Example: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sYMK27

Reactions: connorman01

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Specs:

Pricing doesn't really work this way. The 25-40% discount (there's some give and take depending on the desirability) for used parts isn't off the original retail price but off what a similar performing PC would cost new right now.

A GTX 980 performs similar to a 1650 Super/1660 right now, so think about 25-40% off $190 or so, not 25-40% off your original $280. And not surprisingly, people are asking for $130-$140 for used GTX 980s.

$800 is probably too much. But the good news is that a lot of the parts are quite decent. Highly clocked DDR3 RAM actually sells for a premium and even used, the power supply is excellent. You may get $600 for it, but given that most of the saleable parts are decent, you might even eke out a bit more selling individually. People are still buying that i7 for $150, still paying $70 for the used PSU, $50 for used similar quality DDR3 RAM.

You're fortunate with this because you essentially have most of the top parts of the final pre-DDR4 generation. I don't think your market is people looking for a full rig, it's people who have older Haswell machines that want to max out what they can do on the older platform or are in need of a part.

Anyone telling you $200 is crazy. You could get $250 bundling the CPU/motherboard/RAM without breaking a sweat, I think. If your PC was just a little bit worse, the value would drop off very quickly.

Reactions: connorman01
Solution