Aug 22, 2024
I'm having performance problems after my PC froze for the last time (it's happened to me several times) and I can't find what's wrong and I'm still not sure if it's a hardware or software problem.
To put them in context I have already carried out hundreds of tests and solutions (software) and nothing works, in another post they told me that it could be a disk problem since I have an HDD and with the freezing it could have been damaged but I think the problem comes from the power supply or the motherboard that does not supply enough energy to the components, an example of this is that the white LED above the 8-pin connector of the GPU does not turn on (it's been like this since before the problems) and the voltage that reaches the CPU is quite unstable.

What do you think could be the problem, hardware or software? I look forward to your responses, thank you.

Edit: I add to the problems others that I did not mention: The Ethernet port does not work, the CPU fan is always at maximum (I don't know if it was always like that) and there are times when the PC does not turn on with 2 RAM modules. Yes I know, my PC looks like a guy who suffers from anxiety lol.

Edit: I will leave images and videos to help with the diagnosis:

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2024
List your system hardware components & OS version. This will help immensely in aiding to diagnose the problem.
- Intel Xeon E5 2620 V3 2.40 GHz
- RTX 2060 6GB
- MoBo Qiyida x99 H9
- HDD WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM
- x2 Corsair Vengeance 8GB 3200 MHz (PC use 1866)
- PSU ROG Strix 650w
- Windows 10 Home 10.0.19045

I make it clear that I never had performance problems before the last freeze.

ReeDoK

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2017
I'm having performance problems after my PC froze for the last time (it's happened to me several times) and I can't find what's wrong and I'm still not sure if it's a hardware or software problem.
To put them in context I have already carried out hundreds of tests and solutions (software) and nothing works, in another post they told me that it could be a disk problem since I have an HDD and with the freezing it could have been damaged but I think the problem comes from the power supply or the motherboard that does not supply enough energy to the components, an example of this is that the white LED above the 8-pin connector of the GPU does not turn on (it's been like this since before the problems) and the voltage that reaches the CPU is quite unstable.
What do you think could be the problem, hardware or software? I look forward to your responses, thank you.
Hello! When you say performance problems, what do you encounter exactly?

Aug 22, 2024
Hello! When you say performance problems, what do you encounter exactly?
Thanks for your response.
It is more noticeable in video games, from the 80-90fps that my PC reached before, now it goes above 55 at most and is unstable, sometimes it goes up to 80 but drops to 50, not suddenly, it is gradual. So I don't understand, what happened?

Aug 22, 2024
Possibly temperature throttling.
I already changed the thermal paste on the CPU thinking about that and it's the same, it doesn't go over 60° under load. But it was from one moment to the next, before the freeze everything was perfect, after the freeze, the problems began. Oh, right, I forgot to say, the PC would freeze at the slightest movement of the desktop. I would get up and it would move a little and it would freeze, and the speakers would make a noise like a very loud broken record. I think that doesn't happen due to temperatures.

ReeDoK

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2017
I already changed the thermal paste on the CPU thinking about that and it's the same, it doesn't go over 60° under load. But it was from one moment to the next, before the freeze everything was perfect, after the freeze, the problems began. Oh, right, I forgot to say, the PC would freeze at the slightest movement of the desktop. I would get up and it would move a little and it would freeze, and the speakers would make a noise like a very loud broken record. I think that doesn't happen due to temperatures.
Did you try to reinstall Windows? Also, try to boot the PC without RAM, let it run a few seconds, the motherboard should detect the RAM is missing. Shut it down and then install only one memory stick. Do some testing in games. Also any reason why the memory is set to 1866Mhz and not with an overclock to 3200Mhz?

Aug 22, 2024
Did you try to reinstall Windows? Also, try to boot the PC without RAM, let it run a few seconds, the motherboard should detect the RAM is missing. Shut it down and then install only one memory stick. Do some testing in games. Also any reason why the memory is set to 1866Mhz and not with an overclock to 3200Mhz?
What I did is use the "recover this PC without losing files" tool but it didn't solve it, would anything change if I used an ISO image to reinstall Windows? I ask because that takes time and I must have free time to do it. Regarding the ISO image, it's like installing Windows again, right? Shouldn't I follow another series of steps? I understand that all my files will be lost and I will have to make a backup.

Excuse my ignorance, but can the PC start without RAM if I connect a USB? Also, does this USB have to be formatted?

Oh and about the RAM, I can't use more than 1866 because my CPU or MoBo (I'm not sure which one) doesn't support more.

if I used an ISO image to reinstall Windows? I ask because that takes time and I must have free time to do it. Regarding the ISO image, it's like installing Windows again, right? Shouldn't I follow another series of steps?

ReeDoK

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2017
What I did is use the "recover this PC without losing files" tool but it didn't solve it, would anything change if I used an ISO image to reinstall Windows? I ask because that takes time and I must have free time to do it. Regarding the ISO image, it's like installing Windows again, right? Shouldn't I follow another series of steps? I understand that all my files will be lost and I will have to make a backup.

Excuse my ignorance, but can the PC start without RAM if I connect a USB? Also, does this USB have to be formatted?

Oh and about the RAM, I can't use more than 1866 because my CPU or MoBo (I'm not sure which one) doesn't support more.
Sorry I didn't explain properly. I was talking about the memory inside the PC, installed on the motherboard.
Also, yes, it is better to use an ISO image to do a clean installation of Windows. You can download the Windows Media Creation Tool from https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
You can choose to create a bootable USB flash drive directly, but in keep in mind it will delete everything from that USB flash drive before copying files on the drive. You can, however, copy files to the USB flash drive after the tool has finished. So if your USB flash drive is big enough, you can create an installation media and then copy some files into a folder for your backup.

Aug 22, 2024
Sorry I didn't explain properly. I was talking about the memory inside the PC, installed on the motherboard.
Also, yes, it is better to use an ISO image to do a clean installation of Windows. You can download the Windows Media Creation Tool from https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
You can choose to create a bootable USB flash drive directly, but in keep in mind it will delete everything from that USB flash drive before copying files on the drive. You can, however, copy files to the USB flash drive after the tool has finished. So if your USB flash drive is big enough, you can create an installation media and then copy some files into a folder for your backup.
Since it won't let me answer, I will be brief: The CPU voltage is unstable (0.741 - 1.036V) at rest but when I run a demanding program it is stable but still very low (0.886 - 0.906V) and the GPU is always higher. from 1365MHz even when it is at rest and above 48°, I remember that before the GPU at rest dropped to 400 - 500MHz and did not go above 38°.

Edit: I attach images and videos of what was explained:

Last edited:

ReeDoK

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2017
Since it won't let me answer, I will be brief: The CPU voltage is unstable (0.741 - 1.036V) at rest but when I run a demanding program it is stable but still very low (0.886 - 0.906V) and the GPU is always higher. from 1365MHz even when it is at rest and above 48°, I remember that before the GPU at rest dropped to 400 - 500MHz and did not go above 38°.
Maybe try a BIOS reset. Unplug the PC from the power outlet and remove the CMOS battery for a couple of minutes. It is usually at the bottom of the motherboard. After 5-10 minutes, place the battery back on the motherboard and start the PC. I'm no expert, but I'll try to do my best to help you.

Aug 22, 2024
Maybe try a BIOS reset. Unplug the PC from the power outlet and remove the CMOS battery for a couple of minutes. It is usually at the bottom of the motherboard. After 5-10 minutes, place the battery back on the motherboard and start the PC. I'm no expert, but I'll try to do my best to help you.
IMPORTANT: In my previous response comment I uploaded some videos and images to help with the diagnosis.
I tried the battery thing a week ago and it turned out that my PC didn't have a CMOS battery lol, so I put one in thinking if it could solve the problem but it didn't help. I also reset the BIOS from the same BIOS and it didn't work either.
I'm starting to think it's a hardware problem...

Edit: Oh and about my comment "it won't let me respond" I wasn't referring to you but to the forum that sent me a message when I tried to respond with a longer paragraph. I really appreciate the help from all of you and I hope we reach a solution, I've been in this mess for almost a month.

Aug 22, 2024
you would first want to know that the latest BIOS available is actually installed.
then just load optimized defaults afterwards.
Hi
That's the problem with going for cheap components. The brand of my board (Qiyida for Xeon CPUs) does not have a support page and therefore I have no where to download drivers or updated versions of anything. There is a page on the Internet dedicated to all Chinese plates (very interesting by the way) where there IS a way to update it but I don't dare, since it could leave it unusable if something goes wrong.

ReeDoK

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2017
IMPORTANT: In my previous response comment I uploaded some videos and images to help with the diagnosis.
I tried the battery thing a week ago and it turned out that my PC didn't have a CMOS battery lol, so I put one in thinking if it could solve the problem but it didn't help. I also reset the BIOS from the same BIOS and it didn't work either.
I'm starting to think it's a hardware problem...

Edit: Oh and about my comment "it won't let me respond" I wasn't referring to you but to the forum that sent me a message when I tried to respond with a longer paragraph. I really appreciate the help from all of you and I hope we reach a solution, I've been in this mess for almost a month.
I wouldn't say it's a hardware problem, rather a conflict in software. Did you try CPU-Z to see your exact motherboard model?

ReeDoK

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2017

Edit: I attach images and videos of what was explained:
Regarding to these, did you check the task manager for any strange activity? Also, I would not trust that GPU Tweak 3. I know it's official from Asus, but could you uninstall it, just for diagnostic purposes?