[SOLVED] What kind of issues can a clean windows install NOT fix?

Oct 5, 2021
Hey, I have a question regarding software issues that could persist after a clean install of windows. Certain apps has stopped functioning, and everything I have tried, including doing a clean windows install have failed. Is there something I can do to fix software issues that doens't happen automatically when windows is installed?

Edit: Spec list

CPU: AMD RYZEN 5800x (Less than 1 1/2 years old)
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz 32gb (Less than 1 1/2 years old)
Motherboard: ASUS STRIX B550-F GAMING (Less than 1 1/2 years old)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (Unknown age, bought second hand), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (Soon to be 4 years old)
Storage 1: Western Digital Black SN750 SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe (Less than 1 1/2 years old)
Storage 2: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 550GB (SSD) (Less than 1 1/2 years old)
PSU: Corsair RM 750x (Unknown age, bought second hand)

Last edited:
Solution
Hey, I have a question regarding software issues that could persist after a clean install of windows. Certain apps has stopped functioning, and everything I have tried, including doing a clean windows install have failed. Is there something I can do to fix software issues that doens't happen automatically when windows is installed?
Your title question, of what can't be fixed -- Coding errors in the application. For example, a memory leak or logic error in the code not fixed by the developer. Unknown/undocumented external software dependencies. For example, a dependency on version 7 of the C++ run-time library. The developer didn't put the required dependency in the installer and any version of the C++ run-time library...

kanewolf

Titan
Your title question, of what can't be fixed -- Coding errors in the application. For example, a memory leak or logic error in the code not fixed by the developer. Unknown/undocumented external software dependencies. For example, a dependency on version 7 of the C++ run-time library. The developer didn't put the required dependency in the installer and any version of the C++ run-time library fulfills the installer requirements.

Solution

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
That means probably something is wrong in your computer. Installing Windows again and again would not solve anything, if there is something wrong in your hardware. I always pay more for better mainboard, GPU and HDD, not to face any problems, and in case I face a problem, I try to find out the reason of the problem, and most of the time it is not something that a reinstall would resolve, so I continue with the same installation for years.

Oct 5, 2021
That means probably something is wrong in your computer. Installing Windows again and again would not solve anything, if there is something wrong in your hardware. I always pay more for better mainboard, GPU and HDD, not to face any problems, and in case I face a problem, I try to find out the reason of the problem, and most of the time it is not something that a reinstall would resolve, so I continue with the same installation for years.
I have tried with 3 different GPU's and different RAM. I have two SSD's of pretty high quality - samsung EVO and WD black something i cant remember - and I tried to install windows on either of them. A ASUS b550-f mobo and generally quality hardware. How would I go about finding out what is wrong in my computer as you mention? Every piece of hardware is less than 1 1/2 year old except the GPU's.

Oct 5, 2021
Your title question, of what can't be fixed -- Coding errors in the application. For example, a memory leak or logic error in the code not fixed by the developer. Unknown/undocumented external software dependencies. For example, a dependency on version 7 of the C++ run-time library. The developer didn't put the required dependency in the installer and any version of the C++ run-time library fulfills the installer requirements.
Since it happens across multiple different apps it shouldn't be that tho, should it? Do you know what Battle.Net, Discord, Wallpaper Engine and Steelseries GG have in common? I was thinking that if I could find out what the common denominator is, then I could ask some more specific questions to figure out what is wrong.

kanewolf

Titan
Since it happens across multiple different apps it shouldn't be that tho, should it? Do you know what Battle.Net, Discord, Wallpaper Engine and Steelseries GG have in common? I was thinking that if I could find out what the common denominator is, then I could ask some more specific questions to figure out what is wrong.
Not a clue. I have none of those apps.
Wallpaper Engine, to me sounds like a likely avenue for malware. It is so often hidden in wallpaper.
Start with a clean install and install ONE of them, only from the original source. Use it like that for a day. If stable install the next ONE app. Find out where it goes wrong.

Oct 5, 2021
Not a clue. I have none of those apps.
Wallpaper Engine, to me sounds like a likely avenue for malware. It is so often hidden in wallpaper.
Start with a clean install and install ONE of them, only from the original source. Use it like that for a day. If stable install the next ONE app. Find out where it goes wrong.
Ah okay. I have tried to install them independently one at a time and the issue is there instantly after installing. I think Wallpaper Engine is okay, its from steam atleast.

kanewolf

Titan
Ah okay. I have tried to install them independently one at a time and the issue is there instantly after installing. I think Wallpaper Engine is okay, its from steam atleast.
After installing the first one? Then you should look at a possible hardware problem. Memory is the obvious place to look. Have you run MEMTEST86 overnight with your normal hardware configuration ?

Oct 5, 2021
After installing the first one? Then you should look at a possible hardware problem. Memory is the obvious place to look. Have you run MEMTEST86 overnight with your normal hardware configuration ?
I don't think so, but I will definitely look into that. I did try with different ram some time ago though.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
I have tried with 3 different GPU's and different RAM. I have two SSD's of pretty high quality - samsung EVO and WD black something i cant remember - and I tried to install windows on either of them. A ASUS b550-f mobo and generally quality hardware. How would I go about finding out what is wrong in my computer as you mention? Every piece of hardware is less than 1 1/2 year old except the GPU's.
Only thing you didn't change so far is your mainboard. Right? I think it is a clue.

But which applications do not run? And what sort of error messages do you get? Can you please provide more details.

Oct 5, 2021
Only thing you didn't change so far is your mainboard. Right? I think it is a clue.

But which applications do not run? And what sort of error messages do you get? Can you please provide more details.
Didnt change motherboard or CPU as I don't have any that I can swap with. Unfortunately it's a bit too expansive to buy new parts just to test. The other parts I had laying around.. I don't get errors at all really. I looked I event viewer and for battle.net it said that the faulting module was unknown. For Steelseries gg ntdll. dll was faulting. Other than these two I have issues with discord and wallpaper engine.

Edit: is there any way I can test if these parts are the issue without replacing them?

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post with a clear listing of installed hardware and specs.

Make and model information.

Motherboard
CPU
GPU
RAM
Disk drives(s)
PSU (make, model, wattage age (1 1/2 years?) original, new, refurbished, used? History of heavy gaming use - correct?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing some error codes, warnings, or even informational events related to those issues.

The real question is: do all of these programs and everything else work perfectly fine with Windows 10? If yes, then the obvious problem is Windows 11 itself, which cannot be fixed by a clean install. I'm trying to be polite here, and NOT being sarcastic by describing Windows 11 as a beta software project that's far from being finished. Its entirely possible that a year from now all of your problems may be gone as Windows 11 is further along in its development cycle. But for now if the problems are caused by Windows 11's newness, then yes, your problems cannot be fixed by a clean install. Unless that is a clean install of Windows 10.

Oct 5, 2021
U
The real question is: do all of these programs and everything else work perfectly fine with Windows 10? If yes, then the obvious problem is Windows 11 itself, which cannot be fixed by a clean install. I'm trying to be polite here, and NOT being sarcastic by describing Windows 11 as a beta software project that's far from being finished. Its entirely possible that a year from now all of your problems may be gone as Windows 11 is further along in its development cycle. But for now if the problems are caused by Windows 11's newness, then yes, your problems cannot be fixed by a clean install. Unless that is a clean install of Windows 10.
Hi, unfortunately not. The issues started in August I think, before I even upgraded to win 11. I have tried with clean win 10 install as well.

Oct 5, 2021
Update your post with a clear listing of installed hardware and specs.

Make and model information.

Motherboard
CPU
GPU
RAM
Disk drives(s)
PSU (make, model, wattage age (1 1/2 years?) original, new, refurbished, used? History of heavy gaming use - correct?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing some error codes, warnings, or even informational events related to those issues.
I will update that ASAP. Event Viewer shows that for Battle.Net the faulting module is unknown. For SteelSeries GG the faulting module is ntdll. dll. I dont know about the other programs but I will check it as soon as I get the chance.