Question What motherboard for my upcoming build?

Komirai

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2013
Not sure what motherboard to go to for my new PC setup, and a little bit confused.. should I spend more to make sure the motherboard is up to the task with the CPU and GPU combo I have (so not to soft bottleneck any of the hardware) or just go the lowest price possible and there will be zero difference? Looking at videos, so far I've come up with the more premium motherboard (so they say) in MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK or just go with the budget version in getting the MSI B650 GAMING PLUS WIFI? I mean when it comes to audio, I would like some good audio, don't want it sounding like it's coming out of some speaker or something. If there is any other suggestions or motherboard that are better and are at least cheaper than the very least the Tomahawk due to budget I'm all ears, if not, what's the difference? and is there any performance difference I would see between the two if any? Any other suggestions of motherboards would be appreciated as well.

NEW BUILD (Link to the build pcpartpicker)

Not sure what motherboard to go to for my new PC setup, and a little bit confused.. should I spend more to make sure the motherboard is up to the task with the CPU and GPU combo I have (so not to soft bottleneck any of the hardware) or just go the lowest price possible and there will be zero difference? Looking at videos, so far I've come up with the more premium motherboard (so they say) in MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK or just go with the budget version in getting the MSI B650 GAMING PLUS WIFI? I mean when it comes to audio, I would like some good audio, don't want it sounding like it's coming out of some speaker or something. If there is any other suggestions or motherboard that are better and are at least cheaper than the very least the Tomahawk due to budget I'm all ears, if not, what's the difference? and is there any performance difference I would see between the two if any? Any other suggestions of motherboards would be appreciated as well.

NEW BUILD (Link to the build pcpartpicker)
Hey there,

I'd add that getting a board with a strong VRM setup would be good. Don't wanna throttle your CPU or have instability. VRM's control the voltage from the 12v rail and split it down to your CPU for example (1-1.5v), and other components. VRM's are also known as power phases.

The quality of the VRM's is important too, as is the over all number, for example 12+2+1. With more VRM's they run cooler. In this case the 12 is for the CPU and the 2 is for the IMC and 1 for the GPU.

In terms of the audio, most mid-range boards use the same or similar audio chips, which are mostly Realtek based. Unless you're an audiophile, then the sound quality is perfectly fine.

Komirai

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2013
Hey there,

I'd add that getting a board with a strong VRM setup would be good. Don't wanna throttle your CPU or have instability. VRM's control the voltage from the 12v rail and split it down to your CPU for example (1-1.5v), and other components. VRM's are also known as power phases.

The quality of the VRM's is important too, as is the over all number, for example 12+2+1. With more VRM's they run cooler. In this case the 12 is for the CPU and the 2 is for the IMC and 1 for the GPU.

In terms of the audio, most mid-range boards use the same or similar audio chips, which are mostly Realtek based. Unless you're an audiophile, then the sound quality is perfectly fine.
So out of the two I would assume you would go TOMAHAWK and is the TOMAHAWK the correct way to go with what you was describing or would there be something else you would recommend over the two?

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Komirai

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2013
Have you purchased anything yet? If not, some of your choices there are not optimal. That said, this may help you with regards to B650 board selection.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57X2FygcqLE
Well some pieces like the AIO, PSU and storage devices I will be converting over to the build from my old one. Unless there is something I've done wrong in general, please elaborate and no, haven't purchased anything yet. Always like to check with people far more experienced than I at this.

Like with the videos I watched and with help with what pcpartpicker has preselected, I went with the Ryzen 7 7800X3D and RTX 4070 Ti SUPER as my CPU/GPU combo and I used PCBuilder for motherboard since I was struggling there on what to pick and still not sure which is way I'm turning to forums for more information and answers to my question. So, yeah please help if there is anything wrong with the build, definitely need changing if there is major issues.

Reactions: logainofhades

Komirai

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2013
Carrying those parts over is fine. Most of the time my rigs have parts carried over from a previous build. It's a great way to save money and still get a solid upgrade. I was just concerned you had or were looking to buy them new.
Oh yeah, no some of that stuff I got like 9 years ago when I went um all out and went overkill as you can tell with the PSU and definitely learned some things from it and trying to apply that in this one since I don't have the same luxury.

There is ONE THING that concerns me and I would really not want to make another thread and that it says for my AIO that it has a note saying: "The NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler may require a separately available mounting adapter to fit the MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard." Is this true do I actually have to buy adapters or just an automated response since they can't tell if it needs it or not since it is really old?