Question What port should I use for my monitor?

korv

Notable
Dec 26, 2018
Displayport should be fine (it supports 144hz). You'll have to change your monitors refresh rate (hz) by yourself by going to display settings (right click any where), click on advanced display settings, click on display adapter properties, click on monitorn (should be a tab called monitor) and then you'll see screen refresh rate.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello, I just got a new monitor. It is a 144hz monitor, but when I connected it to my pc and went to windows display to change the hz it said that the most hz I could choose was 60. I am using a hdmi cable, but I think I might need another port.
If I do need another port what port should I buy?
Monitor: https://displaysolutions.samsung.com/monitor/detail/1283/C32JG50
The monitor is only 1/3 the hardware required. What GPU do you have? Then what version of HDMI ports does it have -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Refresh_frequency_limits_for_standard_video For HDMI, you would have to have a graphics card with HDMI 2.0 or better to get 144Hz a the resolution that monitor has.

Mar 31, 2019
Displayport should be fine (it supports 144hz). You'll have to change your monitors refresh rate (hz) by yourself by going to display settings (right click any where), click on advanced display settings, click on display adapter properties, click on monitorn (should be a tab called monitor) and then you'll see screen refresh rate.
Thanks, I'll buy a displayport tomorrow and see if it works.

Oh yes, I connected the pc to HDMI2, and now on the monitor menu it says that its 144hz, but on windows advanced display settings it still says that the most I can do is 60hz, how do I fix that?
Try setting the refresh rate from the NVIDIA control panel if you have an NVIDIA graphics card.
isKHgnz.png

korv

Notable
Dec 26, 2018
Thanks a lot for the tips, but on the nvidia control panel it says the max I can go is 60hz, I have no idea why this won't work, I even changed the resolution and tried.

Have you tried my way? check my message again ( scroll up) which is another way of changing the refresh rate. Seems like you either got a hdmi cable that doesn't support your monitors refresh rate or your port doesn't support it.

Mar 31, 2019
Have you checked my message (scroll up to my first message) which is another way of changing the refresh rate. Seems like you either got a hdmi cable that doesn't support your monitors refresh rate or your port doesn't support it.
Thank you! I got a new hdmi cable and now I got 144hz. Thanks so much man, you're a life saver