What Power cable for ASRock Z68 Pro 3 ATX 12 volt 8 pin socket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
My new build with my ASRock Z68 Pro 3 MOBO, Intel i5 2500 K and an Antec BP550 modular power supply is almost finished. I'm confused by what power cable to insert in the ATX 12 volt 8 pin socket. I have 3 power cables coming from the PS. One is the main 20 + 4 cable of course. There are 2 more cables coming out of the PS. One has a tag on it that says "8 Pin PCI Express" and that's a 6 +2 pin connector. The other cable says P3/P3 and that has a 6 + 2 pin connector on it.

So which is which here? Which one goes to the ATX 12V power connector socket?

Thank you.

Solution
No problem, that's what we're here for. The 6+2 is usually used for a video card. Some take a 6 pin while others take an 8 pin, of course others take one of each or two of each while others take 1 from both.
WHAT??? RTFM??? That's just another mans opinion on how to do stuff. Nobody reads those things :pt1cable:

Enjoy your new build and ask if you want some more help.

suteck

Distinguished
The stats that I found on your psu says - 1 x Main connector (20+4Pin)
1 x 12V(P4)
1 x 12V(8Pin) - It Says you have an 8 pin connector, you should use this one
6 x peripheral
6 x SATA
1 x Floppy
2 x PCI-E - 1 x 6-Pin, 1 x 6+2-Pin

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Thanks suteck, I think I figured it out. I read the little instruction sheet that came with my PS and there is a list of the cables and what they go to (duh, imagine that!). I've got the 24 pin main board power, a 6+2 cable that's PCI express. I don't know what that goes to. And then there is the 4+4 pin connector cable and that goes to my ATX 12V 8 pin connector. So, I think I'm good on these connections. Thanks for the help. I appreciate your time.

suteck

Distinguished
No problem, that's what we're here for. The 6+2 is usually used for a video card. Some take a 6 pin while others take an 8 pin, of course others take one of each or two of each while others take 1 from both.
WHAT??? RTFM??? That's just another mans opinion on how to do stuff. Nobody reads those things :pt1cable:

Enjoy your new build and ask if you want some more help.

Solution

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

LOL, yeah, who read manuels? My ASRock manuel is half an inch thick, but only 1/8 inch is

English, the rest is 9 or 10 other languages. How much shipping weight is that? Plus the board diagram is so small you need a magnifying glass to read it.

I'll ask if I have any more questions. Thanks again for your help.

Gar

Status
Not open for further replies.