vlada572

Reputable
Mar 16, 2018
Hello people. So yesterday my friend bought a used PC. It's i3 4160, 8GB of ram and 2 x 500 GB hdd. He was hoping that he could install a used r9 270 so he ordered it. Then we realized that psu (BlueBerry PSB560, pictures below) in system probably wouldn't run those specs very well since it has 16A on 12V and it's a single rail if i'm not mistaken. I've searched for that PSU and someone made a comment that it lasted 5 days in system with a r9 270. I've searched for some new and used power supplies that will fit the criteria. He is broke and wants to play games during this month, so psu can't cost more than 30 euro. I know we shouldn't skimp on a psu but please just tell me which one is least likely to fail. Is upgrade to i5 and rx570 or 580 possible on some of the supplies? Thanks in advance.

This is the only new psu that i think it's worth buying: https://www.exceed.rs/artikal/ig-max-2650-600w- on electronics store Gigatron, there are 10 satisfied buyers and one ran i7 3770 + gtx1060

Used psu list:

- https://www.kupujemprodajem.com/Kom...rden-60P00I-600W-Kao-novo--93748149-oglas.htm costs 35 euro new

- https://www.kupujemprodajem.com/Kom...a/LC-Power-Napajanje-600w--92993996-oglas.htm i know that it isn't all that reputable but amperage seems fine.

- https://www.kupujemprodajem.com/Kompjuteri-Desktop/Napajanja/Napajanje-530W-gaming-92990757-oglas.htm really like this one, it was used for a year and ran a 1050ti. (additional images sent by email)

- https://www.kupujemprodajem.com/Kom...Bronze-MODULARNO-EMD625AWT-88026683-oglas.htm approved by guru3d

- https://www.kupujemprodajem.com/Kom...koon-600W-Modularno-WPM600-93108368-oglas.htm designed by germans??

unknown.png

VP_20200414_141350.jpg

VP_20200414_141308.jpg

Ok, this looks like a big info dump. Please don't get mad xD

Solution
The Seasonic looks like an older model, but Seasonic does have a good reputation - that would be one that I'd be more comfortable with.

Avoid Raidmax, they're on the Wall Of Shame.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The Radeon 5770 consumes less power than the R9 270, yet in this thread, it was recommended (and underlined) that the PSU should be changed (though it was a 500w). So, I'd avoid the IG-Max.

Sharkoon is on the wall-of-shame in the PSU guide.

That same guide points out that guru3d doesn't do exhaustive testing, so, while they do review the Enermax, I don't know how much they can be trusted. The only thing it has going for it is that it's the only one that has a Bronze 80 Plus Efficiency label. That's efficiency rather than quality, but none of the others even have that.

You're correct about the 16A on the 12V rail for the existing PSU - thus, 16x12, it's effectively 192 watts.

There aren't really any in that list that I would feel comfortable recommending. I realize this is a used system, though.

I would have said go with a Corsair CX/CXm, but it seems like this Corsair TX is cheaper? I was having trouble trying to sort, since I can't read Serbian, and some prices are listed in din and others in euros.

https://www.kupujemprodajem.com/Kom...0W-80-br2-86189989-oglas.htm?filter_id=123821

vlada572

Reputable
Mar 16, 2018
Thank you very much for the quick answer! The mentioned ig max psu was 500w... maybe 600w isn't such a bad option? It's reported that it ran i7 + 1060.
What do you think about the " be quiet! " one? It's pure power L7. I saw newer L's on B tier, i think.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I don't know enough about Be Quiet to make a recommendation. They have some good models and some bad - I predominantly stick to what's recommended in that link in my sig.

I'm given to understand that the PSU tier list, while useful, also has some issues.

Crimsom_247

Reputable
Sep 19, 2016
Hello @vlada572 you could get a head start by letting a Power Supply Calculator application take the initial strain to let you know what type of PSU you should be considering. Put your hardware information into OuterVision's Power Supply Calculator, click Here. Having had a few PSU give up on me, we now have a guess at what future hardware additions may be pending and try and get a one time PSU capability that is sufficiently powerful to last. This Power Supply Calculator will give you PSU recommendations for consideration. You can also run it a few times to see which hardware variations want more or less PSU performance and influence your future purchase aspirations. Hope this helps. Kind regards.

vlada572

Reputable
Mar 16, 2018
Hello @vlada572 you could get a head start by letting a Power Supply Calculator application take the initial strain to let you know what type of PSU you should be considering. Put your hardware information into OuterVision's Power Supply Calculator, click Here. Having had a few PSU give up on me, we now have a guess at what future hardware additions may be pending and try and get a one time PSU capability that is sufficiently powerful to last. This Power Supply Calculator will give you PSU recommendations for consideration. You can also run it a few times to see which hardware variations want more or less PSU performance and influence your future purchase aspirations. Hope this helps. Kind regards.
20200414_223843.jpg

Here are the results. (I set i5 4570 as cpu)
So i need 26 minimum? For example, will dual rail 20A do the job?

Crimsom_247

Reputable
Sep 19, 2016
Hello @vlada572, please be aware that a low-end PSU normally deceives the end-user about the presence of two or more +12V rails. Even though their specification states two +12V rails, inside the power supply unit may only have one Over Current Protection (OCP) circuit and thus these units are in fact “single-rail” products.

We have always purchased a PSU with enough headroom so that it does not struggle to deliver the power. So if you want to play games you will want a reliable PSU to deliver a high power continuously. So a new cheap PSU with a low specification may not work or last very long. You may wish to consider a second hand newish PSU that will deliver a high power continuously. Look at the PSU list of recommendations.

vlada572

Reputable
Mar 16, 2018
The Seasonic looks like an older model, but Seasonic does have a good reputation - that would be one that I'd be more comfortable with.

Avoid Raidmax, they're on the Wall Of Shame.

Thanks for informing me. Can you please share the link to the wall of shame? Can't find it. We'll try with the be quiet. ( seller won't lower the price of seasonic unfortunately) It has 80 efficiency sticker so i think it will provide enough power. Wish us luck!

Last edited:

vlada572

Reputable
Mar 16, 2018
Hello @vlada572, please be aware that a low-end PSU normally deceives the end-user about the presence of two or more +12V rails. Even though their specification states two +12V rails, inside the power supply unit may only have one Over Current Protection (OCP) circuit and thus these units are in fact “single-rail” products.

We have always purchased a PSU with enough headroom so that it does not struggle to deliver the power. So if you want to play games you will want a reliable PSU to deliver a high power continuously. So a new cheap PSU with a low specification may not work or last very long. You may wish to consider a second hand newish PSU that will deliver a high power continuously. Look at the PSU list of recommendations.
Be quiet specifies 35A combined, that should be enough.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Thanks for informing me. Can you please share the link to the wall of shame? Can't find it. We'll try with the be quiet. ( seller won't lower the price of seasonic unfortunately) It has 80 efficiency sticker so i think it will provide enough power. Wish us luck!

Click on the first link in my sig - it's actually a discussion thread, but the first post, the part that is important to read, is an extensive writeup. At the end of it is the "Wall of Shame" a list of PSU brands that should be outright avoided.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Unfortunately, I don't really understand how the multi-rail vs single-rail setup would affect the PSU's ability. Regardless of that, though, the max-current line says that even though you theoretically have 44A total on the 12V rails, the PSU really will only give you a maximum of 35A on the 12V rails combined.

Thus, for all intents and purposes, this is realistically a 420W PSU. I am guessing an older design, and I wouldn't trust something that advertises itself at a certain power level, but can only offer a much smaller number where you actually need it the most.

Also, not even bronze level of efficiency. While efficiency is NOT the same as quality, that would be just one more reason to avoid it.

Reactions: vlada572

Crimsom_247

Reputable
Sep 19, 2016
Hello @King_V, what's all this rubbish about multiple 12 volt rails? click Here. A Power Supply Calculator's recommendations will offer good PSU solutions for the end user.

A conventional dual rail ATX12V power supply has two 12 volt rails: 12V1 and 12V2. According to the ATX standard, 12V2 is the 12 volt rail which powers the CPU and is provided by the 4 pin 12 volt cable. 12V1 is the 12 volt rail used in all other power supply cables and powers everything but the CPU.

If you have a dual 12 rail PSU which has 20 amp limits on each 12 volt rail, then you also have to make sure that you don't exceed 20 amps on each rail. If you exceed 20 amps on a rail then the PSU will shut down.

vlada572

Reputable
Mar 16, 2018
Ok, so according to that link the be quiet! one is "Multiple current limited 12 volt rails derived from single rail PSU" , right?
If any one of the 12 volt outputs exceeds its current limit then the PSU shuts down. For example you could have a dual rail supply which has a single internal 12 volt rail which can deliver 30 amps. Then inside the PSU it's split into two separate rails each of which has a 20 amp limit. If you try to draw more than 20 amps from either of the 12 volt rails then the PSU with shut down. If you try to draw more than 30 amps of total current from both of the rails then it will also shut down (assuming that the internal 12 volt rail also has a current limiter).
My situation is like this but 20A is replaced with 22 and 30A with 35... am i getting it right?
What's the effect of 80+ efficiency on this psu? I'm curious 'cus 0.8 * 530 is 424, than when divided with 12v we get that 35 amps! Sorry if i'm asking a stupid question, i'm quite a noobie :D
Also, on german site mindfactory someone reported that gtx 770 and i5 ran well with this psu.
Edit: just read about efficiency and that was a stupid question xD

Last edited: