[SOLVED] What reasons would someone upgrade solely for gaming and what would you upgrade?

UKTone

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2015
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 1598.83 MHz - CPU-Z VALIDATOR (x86.fr) This is my system rn (getting another ssd soon), I was pretty much future proofed for myself with the 1050 ti i had, but i really wanted ray tracing, but now learning it's not that great and with Unreal 5 i feel it's even less important...possibly. The only things i can think of that i'd upgrade for now is my cpu for windows 11, but not sure i want to upgrade anything else yet. I am thinking of doing twitch, which is probably the only thing that makes me want to futureproof still... but even then, not sure if upgrading the graphics card is worth it or not.

I did want to upgrade everything, to be truly futureproofed, since everything is/was being upgraded at about the same time (new cpu socket, ddr5 ram, 40/50 series gtx, windows 11, etc.) but don't necessarily know what or why i or anyone really should upgrade if they have my setup solely for gaming and possibly streaming.

With the set up i have now, could i start a twitch channel? And if i do, how high should i make the resolution? (Currently have a 1ms 144hz 1080p monitor but could upgrade). I do stream on discord, i don't know how different it is from streaming on twitch.

Solution
Edit: Should i upgrade to Windows 11 with the cpu i have now, i couldn't before since it required gen 8 or higher cpus, and now apparently it doesn't require higher than gen 8... If i should upgrade, should i go with i5, i7, or ryzen 7/9? Planned on upgrading towards the end of the year or beginning, once the newest gpus were out and possibly once nvidia grace is out, but not even sure it's for gaming or not.
You don't have a supported CPU. While you could bypass the CPU check, there's also the question of if you need to upgrade to 11. Support for 10 lasts until 2025. If you're fine with what you have now, there's no need to rush out to get the latest OS or hardware that's supported.
The only reason to upgrade is because the performance the computer is giving isn't enough.

Could you start a Twitch channel with what you have? Sure. And you could probably get decent quality out of it if you configure your capture software to use NVENC or QuickSync. But an i7-6700K and a 1050 Ti is considered lower end these days, so unless you were planning on playing older games or games designed around lower-end or older hardware, it's kinda limited what you can do.

UKTone

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2015
The only reason to upgrade is because the performance the computer is giving isn't enough.

Could you start a Twitch channel with what you have? Sure. And you could probably get decent quality out of it if you configure your capture software to use NVENC or QuickSync. But an i7-6700K and a 1050 Ti is considered lower end these days, so unless you were planning on playing older games or games designed around lower-end or older hardware, it's kinda limited what you can do.
Oh i upgraded the 1050 ti to a 3050, the information in the signature is outdated. Also forgot to mention ill be adding another ssd soon/today. (Free from Microcenter) The link at the beginning is what my current rig is.

And i'm watching that video now too.

Edit: Should i upgrade to Windows 11 with the cpu i have now, i couldn't before since it required gen 8 or higher cpus, and now apparently it doesn't require higher than gen 8... If i should upgrade, should i go with i5, i7, or ryzen 7/9? Planned on upgrading towards the end of the year or beginning, once the newest gpus were out and possibly once nvidia grace is out, but not even sure it's for gaming or not.

Last edited:
You don't have a supported CPU. While you could bypass the CPU check, there's also the question of if you need to upgrade to 11. Support for 10 lasts until 2025. If you're fine with what you have now, there's no need to rush out to get the latest OS or hardware that's supported.

Solution