Question What Router to get for Spectrum 400mbps WIFI

thomas.coyle3

Commendable
Jun 15, 2018
I'm upgrading my internet very soon to Spectrum's 400mbps WIFI and I was wondering which router I should get. In my house I have 2 regular google homes, 1 google home max, 1 Nest Hub (google home hub), 3 PCs (2 of which are hooked up using Ethernet), 2 TVs one of which is CONSTANTLY being used to stream Netflix through chromecast while the other is a smart TV and is seldom used to game on with an Xbox 1 and a Wii, 4 mobile phones, 3 tablets, and POSSIBLY (but not likely) 2 720p Arlo security cameras (NOTE: There are 4 people that live in this house, including me). Due to the, quite frankly, massive amount of devices on the network I am having a hard time deciding on what router I should get as I don't know where I should even start to look for in a router. If anyone could suggest me a possible router or things I should look for that would be amazing. Also as a side note I would like to keep the price under $200 but if you think that that price range is completely unrealistic we could go lower

kanewolf

Titan
To get 400Mbit throughput, you have to have 900Mbit WIFI link. Very few devices can do that.
Hook as many stationary devices to wired ethernet. If you have to add switches in rooms to have enough ports for TV+consoles+other, then spend some of your budget for that. Also consider getting multiple WIFI access points to connect to that wired infrastructure. That will allow the devices to be distributed over multiple WIFI signals.

Reactions: Barty1884
Aug 12, 2019
I'm upgrading my internet very soon to Spectrum's 400mbps WIFI and I was wondering which router I should get. In my house I have 2 regular google homes, 1 google home max, 1 Nest Hub (google home hub), 3 PCs (2 of which are hooked up using Ethernet), 2 TVs one of which is CONSTANTLY being used to stream Netflix through chromecast while the other is a smart TV and is seldom used to game on with an Xbox 1 and a Wii, 4 mobile phones, 3 tablets, and POSSIBLY (but not likely) 2 720p Arlo security cameras (NOTE: There are 4 people that live in this house, including me). Due to the, quite frankly, massive amount of devices on the network I am having a hard time deciding on what router I should get as I don't know where I should even start to look for in a router. If anyone could suggest me a possible router or things I should look for that would be amazing. Also as a side note I would like to keep the price under $200 but if you think that that price range is completely unrealistic we could go lower
I'm stuck on a legacy Time Warner plan, which limits my ISP connection to 200mbps. But I have the same cable modem/router/access point device that Spectrum uses for their 400mbps plan - which is an Arris TG1672G. I'd suggest you avoid getting one of these at all costs. It stinks! I ended up disabling the built in WiFi and going with a Samsung Smart Things mesh setup. Now I'd like to buy my own cable modem and edge router, and give the Arris back to them. I think that would save me about $15 a month.

thomas.coyle3

Commendable
Jun 15, 2018
How many devices are wireless? Wired? What is your budget? Is everything streaming off the internet or will some videos be streaming on your local network?
2 are wired, around 8 or so MAXIMUM wireless devices will ever be in use at once, always at least 4 though because of the google homes, and my budget is around $200.

thomas.coyle3

Commendable
Jun 15, 2018
I'm stuck on a legacy Time Warner plan, which limits my ISP connection to 200mbps. But I have the same cable modem/router/access point device that Spectrum uses for their 400mbps plan - which is an Arris TG1672G. I'd suggest you avoid getting one of these at all costs. It stinks! I ended up disabling the built in WiFi and going with a Samsung Smart Things mesh setup. Now I'd like to buy my own cable modem and edge router, and give the Arris back to them. I think that would save me about $15 a month.
What exactly does the Samsung smart things mesh setup do in regards to the WIFI because, if I'm correct about what I think it is I believe that it is like a multiple router setup but is more advanced and gets rid of many disadvantages that a multi router setup has (like having a separate WIFI network for each router that you have to manually switch to when you move locations around your house).

thomas.coyle3

Commendable
Jun 15, 2018
To get 400Mbit throughput, you have to have 900Mbit WIFI link. Very few devices can do that.
Hook as many stationary devices to wired ethernet. If you have to add switches in rooms to have enough ports for TV+consoles+other, then spend some of your budget for that. Also consider getting multiple WIFI access points to connect to that wired infrastructure. That will allow the devices to be distributed over multiple WIFI signals.
How much do you expect something like that to cost and how hard would it be to setup?