Apr 11, 2020
Hi i did something really really stupid,
i wanted to create a "budget" pc, so i went with what the internet told me "upgrade a prebuilt".
i bought an hp elite 7300 mt, with an pegatron 2ab5 motherboard.
upgraded the psu to an vs650 from corsair, and purchased an RX 570 from msi.
however, the motherboard is ancient, and doesn't get BIOS updates anymore, so its stuck on legacy.
the RX 570 requires UEFI. so i had to exchange the gpu, which i did, for an gtx 1050 ti, since again, the internet told me it was possible.
BUT IT WASN'T. trust me i tried everything, but i cant get them to work.
im basically broke atm, and don't know what to do. should i wait till i have more money to buy an cheap H61/Z77 motherboard, or sell the gpu and throw in an ancient one? (the best gpu the mobo supports is gtx 680).

Wondering where you found that machine, as it entered the market around 11 years ago with Sandy Bridge. With a good i7, those are wearing pretty well, but as you noticed, Video card selection is going to hold you back some. A GTX 680 isn't a terrible card IMO, they just run a little hot compared to modern Nvidia cards, but are still worlds better than what came before it.

Apr 11, 2020
Wondering where you found that machine, as it entered the market around 11 years ago with Sandy Bridge. With a good i7,
Found it in a local ebay app, specific for my country, but owned by ebay. it doesnt have an i7 :oops:. its an i5-2400 @ 3,1 Ghz. (still not bad tho IMO).
A GTX 680 isn't a terrible card IMO,
I know, but i want to play modern day games at medium/high settings.
and worst of all, after my accident with the 1050 ti im not even sure if the gtx 680 would work, since thats from the internet too :(

I don't know why a GTX 680 wouldn 't work (unless you recieve a bad card). I have a GTX 660 working just fine on a Sandy Bridge system from the same era. The only thing I can think that you might want to watch for is space (I know some of those HP cases are pretty small).

Apr 11, 2020
The only thing I can think that you might want to watch for is space (I know some of those HP cases are pretty small).
Well the entire reason the 1050 ti and rx 570 didn't work was because of motherboard compatibility, a gamble i lost twice and don't want to lose again.
I managed to smash a rx 570 in the case, so fitting in anything else doesn't scare me ;)