Question What Should I Do? Display To VGA or?

jord56

Commendable
Apr 30, 2017
So, plan on getting a new gpu but there is an issue....I have 2 monitors one has HDMI and the other is VGA. The gpu has 3 displayports 1.4 and 1 hdmi port.

Which one would be the best option.

1. Get a Displayport 1.4 To Vga Adapter

or

2. Use my mother board graphics for the one monitor and the other monitor uses the HDMI port on the gpu?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If your board allows the iGPU to remain enabled and has a DP9 port, use it. Otherwise try an active adapter. I say try, because they don't always work with all systems and all cards.

But most boards disable the iGPU ports when there is a gfx card in the PCIe x16 slot. Yours may be different.

Ideally, you should probably pick up a modern display to replace the older VGA only model you have now. Depending on screen size, resolution, vert sync, and features, they aren't expensive any more.

jord56

Commendable
Apr 30, 2017
If your board allows the iGPU to remain enabled and has a DP9 port, use it. Otherwise try an active adapter. I say try, because they don't always work with all systems and all cards.

But most boards disable the iGPU ports when there is a gfx card in the PCIe x16 slot. Yours may be different.

Ideally, you should probably pick up a modern display to replace the older VGA only model you have now. Depending on screen size, resolution, vert sync, and features, they aren't expensive any more.

I have a z87-g43 mobo....The new gpu i plan on getting will be using the PCIe x16 slot...Also, only have enough for the new gpu so a new monitor isn't an option for mee

Wolfshadw

Titan
In your motherboard BIOS, Under Settings --> Advanced --> Integrated Graphics Configuration, set IGD Multi-Monitor to Enabled.

This should allow you to use both the on-board graphics as well as the discrete graphics card.

Pg. 3-8 of the motherboard manual

-Wolf sends

Reactions: jord56

jord56

Commendable
Apr 30, 2017
In your motherboard BIOS, Under Settings --> Advanced --> Integrated Graphics Configuration, set IGD Multi-Monitor to Enabled.

This should allow you to use both the on-board graphics as well as the discrete graphics card.

Pg. 3-8 of the motherboard manual

-Wolf sends

I have a question below

Right now, my 2 monitors are in my current gpu

i'm able to move my mouse between the two monitors ect.....I currently use my second monitor for having my browsers widows on and my stream chat and everything that has to do with streaming like obs ect......

My question is will i still have the above functionality when having 1 monitor on Mobo and the other on gpu?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I have a z87-g43 mobo....The new gpu i plan on getting will be using the PCIe x16 slot...Also, only have enough for the new gpu so a new monitor isn't an option for mee
Hey! I used to have that same board. It was a nice board for the price. A relative of mine has it now, along with my i7-4790K.
Yes, that board's BIOS allows the iGPU to be enabled w/the PCIe x16 slot populated. But I see Wolf has already checked that out and answered the question. (y)

Reactions: jord56

Wolfshadw

Titan
I have a question below

i'm able to move my mouse between the two monitors ect.....I currently use my second monitor for having my browsers widows on and my stream chat and everything that has to do with streaming like obs ect......

My question is will i still have the above functionality when having 1 monitor on Mobo and the other on gpu?

Honestly, I don't know. I've never tried a set up like that. I would think so.

-Wolf sends

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I have a question below

Easy enough to test out once you enable the iGPU and move the cable. I would expect it would work just like before.