AtmaWeapon

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
I'm starting to build a new computer. I've built them in school before, but someone else always bought the parts.

I got the MSI 865PE Neo2 after reading the Mobo tsunami article, as it offered excellent performance for its price. I'm trying to build a pretty fast machine. I don't need it to be top of the line, as I'm on a budget. I have been able to choose parts by myself, but then I got to RAM.

There's just too many different numbers and things for me to comprehend. I know I need DDR, but that's where my knowledge ends. Can someone suggest makers and models to me? I've heard Corsair is good, but they only make like 30 different models, so I need someone to help me narrow it down. I want the best value; I don't need to pay extra for marginal performance increases. I'd like the model that performs best for what you pay, perhaps with good overclocking potential.

Any suggestions?

G

If you want good performance, you need to go with some DDR400(PC3200) with CL2. Many manufacturers offers it. Kingston(HyperX series) and Corsair(XMS LL) series are among the best but also more expensive. You might get more affordable but still high quality/peformance ram from OCZ and Geil. I have some Geil Golden Dragon myself and it performs really well while not being to expensive. I suggest you buy those twinpack(two identical sticks)so you run them in Dual channel. So whatever you do, remember to buy 2 sticks(ie 2X256 not 1X512)and to choose CL2 sticks to ensure good performance or CL2.5 if your budget is tighter.
Hope that will help you.

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
Everything Labbbby said is true, but also you should consider if you need 512 MB or 1024MB (1GB). Remember you can always add memory and it would be cheaper in the future so I would go with 512 for now unless you're a real computer addict. If you yourself are building the system don't forget to putt the sticks in 2 DIMMs (the slots) that use different channels so you take advantage of the dual channel.

Coppermine, Banias, Opteron, Prescott, Barton... How 'bout investing less in the CPU and more in its name?

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
I agree except for 1 thing...i really think the effectivness of matched sticks of ram is overplayed...IMO save your money...just get two standard sticks of memory by the same brand and manufaturer and you should be fine...

There is no smell better than fried silicon :evil:

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
I agree except for 1 thing...i really think the effectivness of matched sticks of ram is overplayed...IMO save your money...just get two standard sticks of memory by the same brand and manufaturer and you should be fine...

There is no smell better than fried silicon :evil:

G

Are matched sticks more expensive? I didn't know that it was only marketing because 2 sticks will perform the same for sure...

G

Are matched sticks more expensive? I didn't know that it was only marketing because 2 sticks will perform the same for sure...