[SOLVED] What should I look in RAM numbers

silnox

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
Hi everyone.

I'm building a new rigg, however, I forgot most of the knowledge I used to have about computers :LOL:

I´m building a :
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8GHz
  • MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI

And I would like to have cheapest but adequate 2x16Gb dual channel ram that has been tested in the mobo. Here there are factory tested memories: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MAG-X570-TOMAHAWK-WIFI#support-mem-18
I searched for this one but is not listed :( . HX432C16FB3AK2/32. Kingston HyperX Fury RGB DDR4 3200Mhz PC-25600 32GB 2x16GB CL16

I remembered there was sort of formulas to calculate the speed you should configure your RAM according to processor clock and multipliers... But I forgot everything. What numbers should I be searching for Mhz, PC, CL?

Can anyone help me?

Solution
Hahaha, thank you. But, I will probably not overclock. So I would like to buy a RAM with max speed to be lower. Sorry calculator is too complicated for me xD... https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/

A non related question... I dont understand why but In your post I dont read full text, only first sentence, but when I quoted I can read all the post.
It's not overclock if you run memory at it's full speed rated by it's XMP. If that was the case 3200MHz would also be OC as most if not all DDR4 RAM starts at 2133MHz !!! Only if you force it over guaranteed XMP frequency, may be called memory OC.
Only other thing that can be considered as OC, is using memory faster than what IMC (Internal Memory...

Lutfij

Titan
DDR4-3600MHz dual channel ram kit, is what you will need to look for. Brands are up to you but I've been good with Crucial, Klevv, G.SKill and Corsair. You're referring to DRAM calculator. For now I'd advise to get the system up and running and not worry about fine tuning things out of the box, as a first attempt. As for your question with ram in QVL, that list is to certify that the ram was used in the lab prior to the launch of the motherbaord.

If a motherboard were to have a QVL of all the sticks of ram on the market, the board wouldn't see the light of day(launch) since it'd be in testing all the time(everyday).

silnox

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
DDR4-3600MHz dual channel ram kit, is what you will need to look for. Brands are up to you but I've been good with Crucial, Klevv, G.SKill and Corsair. You're referring to DRAM calculator. For now I'd advise to get the system up and running and not worry about fine tuning things out of the box, as a first attempt. As for your question with ram in QVL, that list is to certify that the ram was used in the lab prior to the launch of the motherbaord.

If a motherboard were to have a QVL of all the sticks of ram on the market, the board wouldn't see the light of day(launch) since it'd be in testing all the time(everyday).

Hahaha, thank you. But, I will probably not overclock. So I would like to buy a RAM with max speed to be lower. Sorry calculator is too complicated for me xD... https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/

This one would fit your specifications, is ok? (is way cheaper and that scares me a bit) TDZRD432G3600HC18JDC01 Team Group T-Force Dark Z DDR4 3600MHz PC4-28800 32GB 2x16GB CL18 Rojo

A non related question... I dont understand why but In your post I dont read full text, only first sentence, but when I quoted I can read all the post.

Last edited:

It's not overclock if you run memory at it's full speed rated by it's XMP. If that was the case 3200MHz would also be OC as most if not all DDR4 RAM starts at 2133MHz !!! Only if you force it over guaranteed XMP frequency, may be called memory OC.
Only other thing that can be considered as OC, is using memory faster than what IMC (Internal Memory Controller) situated in the CPU but that would automatically "OC" the IMC with RAM memory setting which in case of Ryzen 5000 series can go in excess of 4000MHz.
Another thing with Ryzen, CPU performance is also tied with memory speed so using slower memory also impacts CPU performance.

Reactions: silnox
Solution
A simple calculator is to divide the speed by the cas.
You will get around 200 from most kits.
Ryzen probably likes the higher speeds at the expense of cas timing.
Just a guess, I am no expert there.
I read on these forums about many issues with ryzen and ram.
I strongly suggest that you buy a kit that is explicitly supported.
If you do not find a kit on the motherboard qvl list that you like,
go to a ram vendor and access their ram selection app.
Enter your motherboard and processor and you will get a list of supported kits.
It DOES make a difference on what processor you will use.

Hi everyone.

I'm building a new rigg, however, I forgot most of the knowledge I used to have about computers :LOL:

I´m building a :
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8GHz
  • MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI
And I would like to have cheapest but adequate 2x16Gb dual channel ram that has been tested in the mobo. Here there are factory tested memories: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MAG-X570-TOMAHAWK-WIFI#support-mem-18
I searched for this one but is not listed :( . HX432C16FB3AK2/32. Kingston HyperX Fury RGB DDR4 3200Mhz PC-25600 32GB 2x16GB CL16

I remembered there was sort of formulas to calculate the speed you should configure your RAM according to processor clock and multipliers... But I forgot everything. What numbers should I be searching for Mhz, PC, CL?

Can anyone help me?
Here ya go.
https://www.crucial.com/memory/ddr4/bl2k16g32c16u4b/ct19081115