Question What sound is my PC making?

ixheartless

Honorable
Aug 28, 2018

Usually when I turn my computer on, it starts making this sound. It goes away once I restart, so it only happens on the first boot of the day. I've tried moving my head around to locate where it's coming from, but I can't seem to grasp it. Someone suggested that it may be the AIO pump, but both my temps and RPM are fine. Any suggestions as to what it could be?

Here are my specs, cooling info, and benchmark results if necessary
PC built in 2018
CPUi7-7700k
GPUEVGA GeForce 1080Ti FTW3
AIONZXT Kraken x72
Ram32GB
StorageSamsung 970 SSD
MotherboardASUS Maximus X Hero
PSUCorsair HX850i - 850 watt
CaseNZXT H710

y40XF3w.png

6ugV8W0.png

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Grab a sheet of A4 paper, roll it into a cylinder and hold one end to your ear. Use the other ear to probe for the source of the noise.

As for your specs, you forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age as well as the make and model of the case. If you have aftermarket fans on the case, include them as well as the orientation of said fans.

it's a warning that your unicorn is puking ugly LED rainbows everywhere!

but seriously, it sounds like either a fan is off balance and/or a case panel is vibrating and rattling in place.
i would first try disconnecting each fan, only one at a time though, before this initial boot.

Last edited:

ixheartless

Honorable
Aug 28, 2018
it's a warning that your unicorn is puking ugly LED rainbows everywhere!

but seriously, it sounds like either a fan is off balance and/or a case panel is vibrating and rattling in place.
i would first try disconnecting each fan one at a time before this initial boot.
Haha, if I was to get a new PC now I wouldn't have any LEDs at all. Oh 2018..

I had no knowledge on PC parts back when I built it and suffered tremendously with connecting this AIO pump. By the time I was finished, it was such a mess with wires and these annoying pin connectors that I just shoved everything in the back, closed up the case, and forgot it existed. My case/mobo combo was also super annoying because I didn't have enough room on the motherboard to connect the NZXT Controller that came with the case (for my beautiful LED lights & fan controls) so I had to get an NZXT extension hub which further complicated my experience.

I plan on re-doing everything again though. Thanks for the help

ixheartless

Honorable
Aug 28, 2018
Grab a sheet of A4 paper, roll it into a cylinder and hold one end to your ear. Use the other ear to probe for the source of the noise.

As for your specs, you forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age as well as the make and model of the case. If you have aftermarket fans on the case, include them as well as the orientation of said fans.
My apologies, I've updated the post. Thanks for the tip, that's a good idea.