[SOLVED] What specs of internet and pc would I need to host a server with 1000+ players?

Oct 14, 2021
Hi, me and my friend are developing an MMORPG and are looking to get a dedicated server to host the game instead of paying extremes from server hosts. If anyone could help with what we would need with specs of the system and required internet speeds that would be amazing! Thanks!

Solution
Hi, me and my friend are developing an MMORPG and are looking to get a dedicated server to host the game instead of paying extremes from server hosts. If anyone could help with what we would need with specs of the system and required internet speeds that would be amazing! Thanks!
You need to develop the game to run on multiple servers with sticky session load balancing. That is what "real" game servers do. That way you can scale and you are not dead when any single server fails. Get 3 or 4 small servers plus another to run the load balancer.

kanewolf

Titan
You need to develop the game to run on multiple servers with sticky session load balancing. That is what "real" game servers do. That way you can scale and you are not dead when any single server fails. Get 3 or 4 small servers plus another to run the load balancer.

Solution
Oct 14, 2021
And what about internet? Do you have any ideas about that?

This is where you find out why hosting center charge so much money. They make a good profit but they also have a lot of expense.

Bandwidth wise most games use very little other than when you download them. Most are well under 500kbps but this is up and down and is pretty much continuous.

So that is the easy part. The hard part is what are going to do if the ISP has trouble. Can you get a second ISP. Even if you can get a second ISP can you get IP addresses that you can move back and forth between ISP.....this answer to this is not very likely based on how the internet works. What happens if you lose power do you have a generator. What happens if there is a long term problem like the city digs up the road and cuts your internet connections do you have a secondary physical location that you can move stuff too quickly.

You also have to worry the idiots who will try to DDOS you. This can be partially mitigated with a firewall but it is best "fixed", well mostly, by using the method cloud provider use to hide the actual IP of the server farms and adjust the routing in the cloud so they can filter the traffic well before it gets to the server.

But I suspect by the time you actually have a game anywhere near ready you will already know most the answers to your question purely by observing how things run on what every temporary test servers/pc you are using.