Question What type of Ethernet cable can i get

sniper7777777

Honorable
Sep 22, 2014
Hey everyone so I need some ethernet cable for a project im looking for CAT6/CAT6A but does anyone know of cabling that does NOT have a thick plastic separator inside it is extremely difficult to terminate the ends let me know

Splay the wires, push back on the cable sheath with the wires in hand, holding the sheath with the other hand, then tighten your grip on the splayed wires, and clip-off the separator. Allow the cable to relax, and the separator will retract into the sheath a bit. Terminate per normal.

Or just use CAT5e.

Partially that is what makes the cable cat6a. To get cat6a properly terminated is quite a bit of a challenge. You do not want to buy cat6 it really have no good purpose. It is not rated to carry 10g and it gives you no real benifit over cat5e. You either need 10g and you use cat6a or you only need 1gbit and you use cat5e.

Unless you need very specific lengths you should not really make your own patch cables...especially if you need ones that can run 10g. Quality cable manufactures have equipment to test each cable to be sure in addition to it being wired correctly it can actually pass data at the rates.

In wall cabling you want to terminate into keystone or patch panels.

Pretty much if you do not have 10g equipment you only want to use cat5e patch cables. If you are putting it into the wall then it might be a consideration to run cat6a.

sniper7777777

Honorable
Sep 22, 2014
yea i mean ive seen EZ RJ-45 ends haven't tried them yet and i was just wondering because there was an old box of leftover CAT6 that i used at one of my sites and it had a thin (paper/cardboard) center in replace of the plastic separator and I was able to terminate those fine / so just seeing if anyone knew the brand and model of any bulk cable like that

Feb 13, 2019
Terminating cat6a with RJ-45 can be difficult especially for solid (non-stranded) conductors. Without a certification tester its nearly impossible to see how well you've done. I've all but given up on making my own cat6a patch cables. cat5e...I can do those all day long with near 100% success rate at 1 gbps speed...not so much with cat6a. The keystone terminations are still a piece cake though.