Question what will be the best linux distro for me?

mmzf

Reputable
Jun 17, 2018
What will be the best Linux distro for best webgl performance? For a Dell precision m6400 core 2 duo p8400 @2.26Ghz and 10gb ram 1066Mhz with Nvidia quadro fx 2700m as it got only 340 driver on Linux which is kinda unsupported now a days.
i use to play a webgl game, so i only need is good performance of webgl on browser, firefox gives less fps so i use brave browser.

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
What will be the best Linux distro for best webgl performance? For a Dell precision m6400 core 2 duo p8400 @2.26Ghz and 10gb ram 1066Mhz with Nvidia quadro fx 2700m as it got only 340 driver on Linux which is kinda unsupported now a days.
i use to play a webgl game, so i only need is good performance of webgl on browser, firefox gives less fps so i use brave browser.
I recommend Ubuntu Desktop. I’ve used it the most compared to other operating systems. It’s super lightweight and great for my purposes. In particular, the Ubuntu 20.04.2.0 LTS version that has longer support

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Do you think that three Yeats later, mmzf still needs an answer?

OTOH - modern OS (whether Windows or Linux) will struggle on this old C2D laptop.
Sorry, for some reason this came up in my notifications and I didn’t check the date.

Edit: Nevermind, It isn’t three years old. I still think Ubuntu will work fine. I’ve used it on systems with 2GB of RAM and a 2.50ghz duo CPU. The specifications that the OP listed exceed the minimum that Ubuntu mentions (in fact, my 2GB RAM laptop doesn’t meet the minimum and still worked fine).

Last edited:

michael diemer

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2013
Try a "lite" distro. Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Linux Lite, Zorin Lite, Ubuntu Mate would all be worth a shot.

If these are too heavy, Bodhi would be a great choice and would almost certainly work wonders for your old machine, I'm using it on a 12 year old Gateway with built-in graphics (meaning, really outdated). My computer is lightning fast with it.

Another good light browser besides Brave is Pale Moon, which is based on Firefox. FF's most recent re-design is straining my old Gateway, but PM works great on it. Pages may load more slowly, but it's very stable, and keeps the CPU load low.

Last edited:

JuniperSprouts

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Why LXLE for this OP? I see his hardware. I have owned his hardware. I live my Linux desktop life in search of the "best lightweight" distro. I have configured Debian & other NETISO distros from scratch to try to build the "perfect lightweight solution." From TinyCore to AntiX to Linux Lite to Puppy to Slitaz to everything in between, I have tried them all. LXLE is a good balance of quickness, intuitiveness, readiness (such as some PPA's pre-configured), distro software, and features.

MasterChief86

Honorable
Dec 13, 2016
If you're looking for a lightweight distro, try MX Linux 21. Latest stable Kernel, SystemD free and supports most older systems out of the box. I have installed it on my Dad's and brother's PC which have like 18-20-year-old hardware (used). Also supports 32-bit version.

mmzf

Reputable
Jun 17, 2018
If you're looking for a lightweight distro, try MX Linux 21. Latest stable Kernel, SystemD free and supports most older systems out of the box. I have installed it on my Dad's and brother's PC which have like 18-20-year-old hardware (used). Also supports 32-bit version.
i tried MX Linux 21 32bit on another device, tried other distros too like sparky, lubuntu, lxle, etc.. but the best was linux mint 19.x something 32bit, just don't upgrade it after install but it as is.. its perfect!