[SOLVED] What would cause this performance issue with my 5700xt

Oct 1, 2019
So I recently upgraded to a 5700XT from a 1060 3gb piece of trash, should be a huge boost right? Yeah, I thought so too. Even on old games I basically never top 100fps. Destiny 2 is in my mind. Goes from around 50 to 100 and it kind of all over the place unless I stand perfectly still. However, nothing seems to affect it. If I change the games video setting from low to highest. I get the same range of FPS. This is happening in every game I play, and for the life of me I cannot figure out why. I was directed here from a simple YouTube post.

Specs:
i7-7700
ASUS H-270 PLUS MoBo
16gb ram HyperX
XFX 5700XT RAW II
120gb Boot drive SSD
2 1TB storage and game drives.

Reactions: yazan jaradat
Solution
You are looking at it backwards. The cpu sets maximum fps. It pre-renders 'X' amount of frames and sends that to the gpu. The gpu is responsible for finish renders and sticking as many of the frames up as it can, in a second. Upto the limit of what it was sent.

So if a cpu sends 40fps to the gpu, it wouldn't matter if it was a gtx1060 or an RTX2080ti, it'll only put up 40fps on screen. The gpu cannot increase fps total, it can only increase ITS fps output. So if the cpu sends 100fps, and the 1060 is bogged down to 60fps, an RTX2080ti is strong enough that at the same settings and resolution as prior, it'll put up all 100fps. But it can't put up 110.

You swapped to a 5700XT from a 1060 and saw no difference. Because the game played...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You are looking at it backwards. The cpu sets maximum fps. It pre-renders 'X' amount of frames and sends that to the gpu. The gpu is responsible for finish renders and sticking as many of the frames up as it can, in a second. Upto the limit of what it was sent.

So if a cpu sends 40fps to the gpu, it wouldn't matter if it was a gtx1060 or an RTX2080ti, it'll only put up 40fps on screen. The gpu cannot increase fps total, it can only increase ITS fps output. So if the cpu sends 100fps, and the 1060 is bogged down to 60fps, an RTX2080ti is strong enough that at the same settings and resolution as prior, it'll put up all 100fps. But it can't put up 110.

You swapped to a 5700XT from a 1060 and saw no difference. Because the game played (Destiny 2) was capped at 50-100fps (its rough on a cpu, not exactly well optimized at all) and both gpus are capable of higher.

In old games, 100fps cap? With either gpu? Something is holding the cpu back. Could be usage from a Trojan or malware, could be ram, storage, cpu temps, even windows or bios setting power usage limits like an eco setting applying a 40% power limit (asus is good for that crap).

BTW, is your copy of windows registered? After a varied amount of time, some ppl have reported having fps issues as windows intentionally bogs down higher performance needs on unregistered OS.

When you change detail settings, and fps doesn't really change, that's on the cpu. Not gpu. If changing settings very much changes fps, that's gpu, not cpu.

Cpu the problem here. Somewhere.

Solution
Oct 1, 2019
I understand all of that. I cannot imagine that an 7700 is limiting the 5700xt. I saw basically the same from every game I have tried, old or new. I suppose it is possible, but it is a strong CPU (meh strong enough) That I should have seen better performance. I am seeing more varied FPS also, which I didn't before with the 1060. As well as a lack of inconsistency. Specifically, in destiny it has come up to 144 during say the loading screen. I understand what you are saying, but I am more along the side that this is an actual issue, not a blank in my understanding of how things work... Of which I already do. If I previously being limited by the 1060, and now that limitation is gone, I should have seen an improvement. What I am saying is that I am not. The rendering quality is better, but there is now a lack of consistency in framerate, which there was not before.

Oct 1, 2019
For reference, I should point out that I had previously bought an RTX 2060, and saw a vast improvement in both framerate and consistency. This card is, in many cases, better or at the very least on par with the 2060. I am not seeing that now. What has changed?

Oct 1, 2019
I'm not seeing anything particularly off the wall here, but there's definitely something going on: https://www.gpucheck.com/game-gpu/destiny-2/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt/intel-core-i7-7700-3-60ghz/low

Uninstalled old 1060 drivers with DDU and installed fresh ones from AMD?
Motherboard drivers updated?

Motherboard drivers are up to date. I did uninstall the Nvidia drivers before installing the AMD drivers, Yes from the AMD website. Though I didn't use DDU. for good measure, I will do that now. If it finds anything from Nvidia left that will be gone. As well as the AMD drivers and I will reinstall them fresh. As for temps, I have kept an eye on it with the AMD software, it hardly hits 80c and I haven't seen any power issues as it draws 180-200w while at game load. Though, the cleanliness of the power delivered I am unsure of. I am going to buy a new PSU anyway.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Oct 1, 2019
I'm not seeing anything particularly off the wall here, but there's definitely something going on: https://www.gpucheck.com/game-gpu/destiny-2/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt/intel-core-i7-7700-3-60ghz/low

Uninstalled old 1060 drivers with DDU and installed fresh ones from AMD?
Motherboard drivers updated?
I didnt even see your link the first time around. But yeah, I am aware. Like I said it is identical performance in every game. Destiny 2 was just the last one I ran. BL3, The Division 2. Every single game 50-70 average. Something is wrong.

Update: Ok, we shall see. Everything DDU'd as it did find old stuff from the Nvidia. New drivers installed. Testing commences.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2019
So I recently upgraded to a 5700XT from a 1060 3gb piece of trash, should be a huge boost right? Yeah, I thought so too. Even on old games I basically never top 100fps. Destiny 2 is in my mind. Goes from around 50 to 100 and it kind of all over the place unless I stand perfectly still. However, nothing seems to affect it. If I change the games video setting from low to highest. I get the same range of FPS. This is happening in every game I play, and for the life of me I cannot figure out why. I was directed here from a simple YouTube post.

Specs:
i7-7700
ASUS H-270 PLUS MoBo
16gb ram HyperX
XFX 5700XT RAW II
120gb Boot drive SSD
i have the same problem.....upgrading from 1060 6gb to xfx rx 5700xt
cpu ryzen5 3600

GPU clock speed down to 800mhz in games

Oct 10, 2019

Specs:
i7-7700
ASUS H-270 PLUS MoBo
16gb ram HyperX
XFX 5700XT RAW II
120gb Boot drive SSD

I have found that having more than 16 GB of RAM Helps.
Specs:
i7-7700k
Asus Z270-E Motherboard
24 GB of RAM Corsair Vengeance
XFX 5700XT RAW II
500GB Crucial MX 500 Boot Drive SSD
500GB Sandisk Ultra 3D SSD

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Haven't seen that system ram on that scale would be an issue, especially since minimum recommended is just 6Gb for Destiny 2. As is, with oddball ram, you are running flex mode, that's 16Gb in dual channel and the last 8Gb being used as cache in single channel mode. None of which affects the game.
https://www.bungie.net/en/Forums/Post/245894952?sort=0&page=0&path=1
I've run into similar issues on my system, except I had solid framerates before this most recent patch, generally about 90-100 FPS at 1080p (RX 480, high/medium settings). I saw a post somewhere advising that you navigate to "file directory: \Users\USER_NAME\Appdata\Roaming\Bungie\DestinyPC\prefs\" and delete CVARS.xml. I tried it with some success (now I get about 40-50 on planets instead of 30).
The guy in the other post was using a GTX 1070 too, so it may work better for you.

Seems the patches are killing fps for many ppl.

Oct 10, 2019
Haven't seen that system ram on that scale would be an issue, especially since minimum recommended is just 6Gb for Destiny 2. As is, with oddball ram, you are running flex mode, that's 16Gb in dual channel and the last 8Gb being used as cache in single channel mode. None of which affects the game.
https://www.bungie.net/en/Forums/Post/245894952?sort=0&page=0&path=1

Seems the patches are killing fps for many ppl.

I was talking about the Radeon 5700XT. It suggests having 16 GB of RAM as bare minimum. And that last 8GB of Ram is split on identical 4GB Sticks all 4 slots are filled so it should both be dual channel/quad channel. Also as a side note, running through the board specs, a lot of them suggest having 32GB of Dual Channel Memory. Especially the Ryzen Boards( Ryzen Gen 3 that is).

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Dual channel. Not quad, your motherboard doesn't support that.

Last I heard, 2x8Gb in slots A2/B2 was optimal for Ryzens, moving upto 2x16Gb could be problematic unless using single rank ram, especially at speeds over 3200MHz, and when using all 4 slots, good luck with speeds over 2400MHz.

For 3rd gen Ryzens, the sweet spot has moved from 3200MHz, as that's base mc speeds, to 3600MHz, especially with the 3700x and up, having to do with infinity fabric and Cas timings mainly.

The only time I've seen (apart from Starwars) 32Gb recommended is for certain production software and virtual machines. Not for stability purposes or gaming. As far as size, your pc is only going to run whatever it needs or windows decides it needs at full speeds, the rest gets converted to cache and operates at slower speeds, if it operates at all.

24Gb or 32Gb might help, if your pc had a need for it, but since most games are averaging 5Gb-12Gb total system usage, it won't help a bit.

What's probably helping you the most is the change in timings, with different sets involved, the memory controller will set the slowest speed at the highest timings for all if it. You only see the primary timings, there's over 40 secondary and tertiary timings involved, so relaxing those could easily have made your ram more stable/fluid than the original set at its xmp settings.

TRENDING THREADS