Question What's happened to Windows Defender, my security, and Ethernet? And how can these be fixed?

VermilionNeko

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
Hi

I'm currently having a strange problem related to my firewall, Ethernet connection, and security. I'm sure they're linked. Basically, I'm unable to add exclusions to Windows Defender and I get this message:

r/WindowsHelp - Can't add exclusions to Windows Defender and unable to disable Ethernet

I'm not even able to turn off Real-time Protection either. Then, when I tried briefly disabling my Ethernet connection via Network Connections, I get this error:

r/WindowsHelp - Can't add exclusions to Windows Defender and unable to disable Ethernet

I'm not even able to check the Properties either.

I've tried following the suggestion linked here - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...nnection/35908048-559e-4339-9c60-405fc3896178 - and I've tried disabling and uninstalling the drivers for the adapter via the Device Manager and restarting. Problem remains. :(

To add to this, I'm not even able to edit permissions. Whenever I go to the Security tab of a file/folder, and try to edit a user or group, I get this pop up:

Any ideas/suggestions? I'm totally stuck with this and I don't know what to do/try. :(

Thanks